Mallard M32 screen doors not latching

goff

Last week we took our M32 out to Davis Mountains State Park for our first family outing. It was a very positive experience. Travel trailer, tow vehicle, and family all made it back in one piece and with many good memories. I have much to learn, though, with some basics. I appreciate your advice.

So, with good weather, we wanted to leave both doors open and use the screen doors for ventilation. There is an identical door with screen for the main door and the bathroom door.

Unfortunately, neither screen door would latch. When the latch was in the tightest, closed position, it was still millimeters from the frame to catch it. I unscrewed it and tried to reposition it closer to the frame but it was already in a maximally lateral position. There were no other adjustments I could find.

Anyone have this problem and a solution?

Thanks!

Brandon

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Without seeing your door, the only suggestion I would have would be to take a Dremel Tool and elongate the slot for the screw so the striker can be moved a little more.

Peace
Dave

Chopperno1

I had the same issue on my M32. It took about 5 minutes per door to fix. Unlatch the screen door from the primary door. Let the primary door swing and stay open. Bring the screen door as close to being closed as possible. Grasp the door one hand high one low and pull in the direction needed to latch. 2 or 3 slight tugs is all it should take. The hinges are aluminum and flex and bend easily. This did not alter the primary door from opening and closing and fixed the issue. When I took my trailer in for the recall on the lights I spoke to the tech and he advised they use a wedge of wood behind the hinges and close the door to bend the hinge out just enough to have it latch. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

wallaced

I have a 2017 Oakmont 400FL, and the front screen door didn't latch. A small block of wood behind each hinge corrected the issue! Thanks for the posts.

jimtoo

Hi wallaced,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Great to see that you found a fix for your screen door problem.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M