Manual override coupler lost

Tidyboy

The motor on my LCI front electric stabilizer got damaged last summer. I don't know what happened. I stopped in for a night while traveling and found it had broken off its mounting base and was hanging by its cables. There was no visible impact evidence on the motor case. I had planned to replace the motor this winter and in the meantime I have been using my crank handle to raise and lower the unit. However on the last trip I found that the manual override coupler--the part that the crank handle latches on to--is missing. It came off on the road somewhere. The jack screw and a roller bearing is all that remains of the side of the stabilizer opposite the motor. I e-mailed LCI with photographs of the area around the missing part, asking about getting a replacement part and was told I had to buy a whole new stabilizer assembly. If I have to do that, I might well remove the whole LCI assembly and install scissors jacks. I can't find the part on any other other on-line parts house. The question then, is how can I get this part, and if I can't get it, what are the merits/liabilities of puling the whole thing off and replacing it with scissors jacks? If any one thinks they can help with finding the part, I can send a picture of it.

danemayer

Hi Tidyboy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully someone has experience with this part and can offer suggestions. It might help if you can post a picture. Until you have a few more posts, you may not be able to post pictures here - you might have to post it somewhere else and link to it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what front jacks you have there may be cheaper parts available.
Is your front system electric or hydraulic?
Also, most scissor jacks are meant to be stabilizers not levelers so be cautious as to what you want to add.
As Dane :rolleyes: mentioned, make a few more posts and then post your pictures.

Peace
Dave

Tidyboy

2013 North Trail 21FBS. The stabilizers have an electric motor on the service side and a manual override coupler on the opposite. Front and rear are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

My stabilizers are electric. If I replace with scissors won't I then be replacing stabilizers with stabilizers? Wash? I have been leveling with under wheel blocks. We are new to RVing and are enjoying it, but seeing so much go wrong in so short a time is demoralizing. It had been used only three times when we bought it. It is a North Trail 21FBS.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
So your NT was a used trailer when you bought it. More likely close to 3 years old. The problem people have with a "used" unit is. You have no idea of how it was treated before you bought it. It's the old story of "buyer be ware". What you are proposing will probably work...don't see why not. Look around and see if there are any RV salvage yards in your area. The parts you need are used on many if not all TT's. You might find just what you need and cheap. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Was not meant as a lecture...just stating the facts of life. Sorry if you took that way.

Tidyboy

I didn't mean to put you down, Bob. I appreciate your input. You simply answered a question that I did not ask, i.e. the merits/liabilities of buying new vs. used. That decision is history.

- - - Updated - - -

That is an interesting idea. I know a hobbyist machinist who likes challenges. Thanks.

pegmikef

You might try Colaws in Missouri. They have a huge inventory of salvage trailers of all types. You might give them a call or an email. You might be able to replace the existing jack with a salvaged one. I have never ordered anything from them, but visit them when we do the Carthage rally.

http://colawrvsalvage.com/