Mattress Platform

N9MB

Some great ideas here. I have a box of leftover carpet tile that I'm going to put over the osb platform. It should help keep the queen size mattress from sliding around as well.
Thanks guys.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
It took less than an hour and some heavy duty scissors to do ours with the tile squares. I had some leftover from an old project, but our local dollar store even has them 3 for $1.

pickuphunt

Underbed storage

I have posted this before, but many seem to be asking about the lack of under bed storage.
We too had been used to some deeper storage under the bed. So - first I removed the mattress (nice to have a little help). Then I unscrewed the bracket holding the gas operated lift arms at the bed frame which allowed me to fold the plywood bed platform back against the headboard which allows access to the full area under the bed. Now I removed the plywood panel that covers the slide out mechanism. In our unit there are 2x2 support pieces which hold up the plywood panel. It would be nice if they were installed perfectly square with the bed frame, but they were not, so I used a hacksaw blade to cut the nails holding the 2x2 on one end to square them with the bed frame. I cut short pieces of 2x2 to fit between the longer 2x2 which provided a rectangle of 2x2's the length of the bed frame, and as wide as the width between the long 2x2. NOW, I made open top boxes out of 1/4" plywood the size of the rectangle made by the 2x2's and just deep enough so that when they are fitted in the rectangle opening there is about 1" clearance at the bottom. Once these are made and fitted, secure them to the 2x2's on all four sides with screws. Be sure everything is well secured. Finally, I cut the existing plywood panel to cover the area of the slideout mechanism.
Last, before closing everything up I activated the sideout to be sure everything cleared OK.
Our unit allowed for 3 of these compartments, of course you cannot do this in the area which contains the slideout mechanism. We use this for storage of light items such as blankets and seasonal items that are not very heavy.
WFM (Worked For Me)

Attachments

• Storage IIMG_0633.jpg
    Storage IIMG_0633.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Storage IIMG_0638.jpg
    Storage IIMG_0638.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Storage IIMG_0637.jpg
    Storage IIMG_0637.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Storage IIMG_0640.jpg