Max EGT for 24 valve 5.9 Cummins

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I tried to work this into another thread, but haven't gotten an answer.

Cummins guys. Does anyone know the max EGT for this engine without doing damage? I can not find a straight answer on this. I'm told if the vehicle is stock, the motor is designed to govern itself. This is why the mfgrs do not install turbo temp guages.
However I have an aftermarket Banks economind chip which overrides the stock settings.
I do have a EGT Temp gauge and watch it closely. I try to keep it under around 1200 MAX.
Thanks in advance, Trace

jpajax

1250 to 1350 is normal 1500 is ok for a sort period of time,but the cooler the better. Maybe I can get this posted without being LOGED OFF AGIAN.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
There is a representative of Cummins here at the rally I am attending. I'll ask them and post the answer.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The problem was, they didn't want to give a good answer to the question. They agreed that 1200-1500 was "about" the maximum but did say that the computer would defuel the engine before any damage was done.

TandT

The problem was, they didn't want to give a good answer to the question. They agreed that 1200-1500 was "about" the maximum but did say that the computer would defuel the engine before any damage was done.

Jay, I'm going to call Banks to see if their chip will react the same way, if the EGT gets too high. Thanks for the input. Trace

beardedone

Beardedone
Go to the "Dodge Cummins" forum. I think they are the best on the web and it contains so much information that you could read for a month. By the way 1500 EGT) is for the 6.7 which runs hotter than the 5.9 I try to keep my 6.7 down around 1000 - 1150.

gpshemi

The 5.9 stock runs 1250 all the time on hard pulls. That's a safe number. I have my defuels set at 1350, but if it's climbing fast, and I don't change my input, it'll get to 1450 before it has time to react. Bottom line is the turbo is made of a cast Aluminum alloy. Aluminum melts at 1220, but the alloy raises that a few hundred degrees. The higher you are above 1220...and the longer...the closer you are to turbo melt down. 1350 for a little bit will not kill it though. BTW: the pistons are oil cooled. My understanding is the turbo will melt down before the pistons...but let's not try it eh!

TandT

GPSHEMI,
It's good to hear about experiences from other CTD owners. Thanks, Trace

35b871c5b31812d8ffdb0987e27f803f.jpg
. That picture is my pyrometer pulling a camper uphill in my 06 5.9 dually 24 valve the gauge on the left is the pyrometer gauge in the center is Boost gauge on the right if it's visible is trans temp

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

wdk450

When having my add-on EGT sensor added to my exhaust manifold I did not see any other temperature sensors there.I am pretty sure EGT is not available on the stock OBD data monitoring connector, as all the data monitors have you drill and install an EGT pyrometer sensor. So how does the stock engine system detect excess EGT's and cause a defuel??? BTW, my personal redline on EGT is 1200 degrees, based on reports that some aluminum engine components can start melting at 1300 degrees.

When having my add-on EGT sensor added to my exhaust manifold I did not see any other temperature sensors there.I am pretty sure EGT is not available on the stock OBD data monitoring connector, as all the data monitors have you drill and install an EGT pyrometer sensor. So how does the stock engine system detect excess EGT's and cause a defuel??? BTW, my personal redline on EGT is 1200 degrees, based on reports that some aluminum engine components can start melting at 1300 degrees.
I wish I could say I was the one who installed it but I won't take that Glory when I pull over I will look to see where the sensor is and I never hit 1200 degrees I literally haul campers up mountains and keep it under a thousand at all times I'm not saying it will instantly heard it but I've been told by mechanics to keep it under 900 only problem I have with this truck so far is the Boost boot between the turbo output and the intercooler intake commonly known as the hot side

bc7c0b56ec23e27e0c9c9133eaa2a486.jpg
. That looks like it right there on the bottom and it doesNOT tie into anything.. runs straight into the pyrometer gauge

I wish I could say I was the one who installed it but I won't take that Glory when I pull over I will look to see where the sensor is and I never hit 1200 degrees I literally haul campers up mountains and keep it under a thousand at all times I'm not saying it will instantly heard it but I've been told by mechanics to keep it under 900 only problem I have with this truck so far is the Boost boot between the turbo output and the intercooler intake commonly known as the hot side

My guess is the factory has a preset limit on the Boost which might be what de fuels the motor if they assume a certain temperature per PSI

BBslider001

On any engine, at any time, 1300 is max and you don't want to keep it there for more than 30-45 seconds. Also, it matters where the probe is installed. It needs to be installed in the manifold, NOT in the turbo downpipe as some people do. Those temp differences will be 2-300 degrees. These trucks, to my knowledge, do not defuel at high EGTs unless programmed to do so. Whoever told you that it doesn't come from the factory with a gauge because it's not a concern does not know what they are talking about and haven't towed much. I woudl run form that kind of answer! It's very well known in the trucking world that EGTs are just about the most important parameter to monitor on diesel engunes due to piston damage. I have seen it and it is not pretty or cheap to fix.

So, to recap. If probe is installed in the manifold, where it should be,temps should not exceed 1250-1300 for long periods. if it's installed in the turbo downpipe, temps should not exceed 900 for any length of time. I am guessing the person who posted a photo showing the temps at 900 while hauling up a grade has the probe in the wrong place. there is now way hauling a load up a grade that the temps would be that low unless he was decelerating. I have towed trailers, RVs, and horse trailers all of my life with all three big makers of diesel trucks. This is one parameter that acts the same with any engine. What I mean by this is Ford doesn't run cooler than a Dodge, Chevy doesn't run cooler than a Ford REGARDING EGT temps. Hope this helps. Also, don't ever listen to a dealer tech unless you see his rig parked in the lot with a big 5th wheel attached to it because they do NOT know what they are talking about. Ask me how I know.

On any engine, at any time, 1300 is max and you don't want to keep it there for more than 30-45 seconds. Also, it matters where the probe is installed. It needs to be installed in the manifold, NOT in the turbo downpipe as some people do. Those temp differences will be 2-300 degrees. These trucks, to my knowledge, do not defuel at high EGTs unless programmed to do so. Whoever told you that it doesn't come from the factory with a gauge because it's not a concern does not know what they are talking about and haven't towed much. I woudl run form that kind of answer! It's very well known in the trucking world that EGTs are just about the most important parameter to monitor on diesel engunes due to piston damage. I have seen it and it is not pretty or cheap to fix.

So, to recap. If probe is installed in the manifold, where it should be,temps should not exceed 1250-1300 for long periods. if it's installed in the turbo downpipe, temps should not exceed 900 for any length of time. I am guessing the person who posted a photo showing the temps at 900 while hauling up a grade has the probe in the wrong place. there is now way hauling a load up a grade that the temps would be that low unless he was decelerating. I have towed trailers, RVs, and horse trailers all of my life with all three big makers of diesel trucks. This is one parameter that acts the same with any engine. What I mean by this is Ford doesn't run cooler than a Dodge, Chevy doesn't run cooler than a Ford REGARDING EGT temps. Hope this helps. Also, don't ever listen to a dealer tech unless you see his rig parked in the lot with a big 5th wheel attached to it because they do NOT know what they are talking about. Ask me how I know.
Thanks for the opinion if you are saying whoever said that doesn't hold much and directing it towards me reread my answer because I said my best guess would be when I was talking about defueling and also my occupation is not anything less than a full-time hauler all I do is haul campers boats and cars so hopefully you weren't aiming that towards me to sound discrediting towards my knowledge of hauling cuz my experience is a lot higher than yours I'm assuming but with that said thank you for the info I did not know that the temp sensor should be on the manifold although the turbo is what measured for temperature and for the temperature gauge to be mounted on the manifold or in the manifold it would make absolutely no sense especially seeing how the air is cooled through the intercooler to a lower temperature I think you're speaking of a different temperature sensor because that temperature of air entering the manifold is quite important when concerning air to fuel ratio but the pyrometer is in place to tell you the temperature of the turbo so that you do not burn it up

BBslider001

Thanks for the opinion if you are saying whoever said that doesn't hold much and directing it towards me reread my answer because I said my best guess would be when I was talking about defueling and also my occupation is not anything less than a full-time hauler all I do is haul campers boats and cars so hopefully you weren't aiming that towards me to sound discrediting towards my knowledge of hauling cuz my experience is a lot higher than yours I'm assuming but with that said thank you for the info I did not know that the temp sensor should be on the manifold although the turbo is what measured for temperature and for the temperature gauge to be mounted on the manifold or in the manifold it would make absolutely no sense especially seeing how the air is cooled through the intercooler to a lower temperature I think you're speaking of a different temperature sensor because that temperature of air entering the manifold is quite important when concerning air to fuel ratio but the pyrometer is in place to tell you the temperature of the turbo so that you do not burn it up

Huh? Punctuation would help this post be a lot more readable. My post wasn't directed at any one person, but ok let's talk. First, if you are watching temps directly out of the manifold, turbo would not be a concern because those temps are before the turbo so you actually can monitor two parameters at once. See what I mean? If your "experience were a lot higher than mine", then you would know of which I speak. That's a pretty big assumption to make though since you don't know me from Adam.The pyrometer is absolutely in place to tell you Exhaust Gas Temps so you don't melt a piston, period. If those temps are ok and kept in check, then the turbo would follow suit since it is AFTER the manifold. But, carry on with your setup. If it works for you, great.