Max EGT for 24 valve 5.9 Cummins

wdk450

Byron and All posters on this thread:
Thanks so much for the shared information. It looks like I am doing things right: add-on pyrometer in the top 1/3 of the exhaust manifold neck going to the turbo, I make my redline 1200 degrees on the pyro. Blowing an engine will end this fulltiming RV retirement adventure for me.

agpopp

My last truck was a 24v 5.9 Cummins in an 02 Quad Cab Long Bed. I really liked the truck, and consistently got 12 mpg pulling my old wildcat. I ended up selling it because it left us stuck with a cracked injection line that I was amazingly able to find used....on a Saturday. ...in rural Virginia......for 100. Amazing situation . On the way home, it ran out of fuel at around 1/4 tank and that was the last straw for the wife, and she insisted we move up a few years in vehicle.
I was a member of the best site for cummins trucks, mopar1973man.com Mike will go way out of his way to help you and the members there were awesome. I highly recommend you read the posts over there and you will see that you are over on the safe egt level. Really 1200 for short short bursts, and usually avoid anything over 900. Get out of the fuel if you cant control it, or you will melt some pistons.

On any engine, at any time, 1300 is max and you don't want to keep it there for more than 30-45 seconds. Also, it matters where the probe is installed. It needs to be installed in the manifold, NOT in the turbo downpipe as some people do. Those temp differences will be 2-300 degrees. These trucks, to my knowledge, do not defuel at high EGTs unless programmed to do so. Whoever told you that it doesn't come from the factory with a gauge because it's not a concern does not know what they are talking about and haven't towed much. I woudl run form that kind of answer! It's very well known in the trucking world that EGTs are just about the most important parameter to monitor on diesel engunes due to piston damage. I have seen it and it is not pretty or cheap to fix.

So, to recap. If probe is installed in the manifold, where it should be,temps should not exceed 1250-1300 for long periods. if it's installed in the turbo downpipe, temps should not exceed 900 for any length of time. I am guessing the person who posted a photo showing the temps at 900 while hauling up a grade has the probe in the wrong place. there is now way hauling a load up a grade that the temps would be that low unless he was decelerating. I have towed trailers, RVs, and horse trailers all of my life with all three big makers of diesel trucks. This is one parameter that acts the same with any engine. What I mean by this is Ford doesn't run cooler than a Dodge, Chevy doesn't run cooler than a Ford REGARDING EGT temps. Hope this helps. Also, don't ever listen to a dealer tech unless you see his rig parked in the lot with a big 5th wheel attached to it because they do NOT know what they are talking about. Ask me how I know.
PS that picture I posted was going up a hill I failed to mention I have a ram air intake installed so temps are lower for me yes but the climbing picture I posted was climbing about a foot per second going 62 so the grade at that time was a mild one in PA off 80 east

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Huh? Punctuation would help this post be a lot more readable. My post wasn't directed at any one person, but ok let's talk. First, if you are watching temps directly out of the manifold, turbo would not be a concern because those temps are before the turbo so you actually can monitor two parameters at once. See what I mean? If your "experience were a lot higher than mine", then you would know of which I speak. That's a pretty big assumption to make though since you don't know me from Adam.The pyrometer is absolutely in place to tell you Exhaust Gas Temps so you don't melt a piston, period. If those temps are ok and kept in check, then the turbo would follow suit since it is AFTER the manifold. But, carry on with your setup. If it works for you, great.
My app only showed me the first sentence of your reply or I would have wrote back much sooner the manifold temp sensor.. I thought you were talking about the temp of air going into the intake manifold .. second the pyrometer is for exhaust temp entering the turbo ..so the placement of my "dodge installed" sensor is actually correct or it should be within an inch of the exhaust port on the block for exact temp ..third.. I forgot what you said .. but the whole temp won't stay at 9 during an incline unless in a decel..was kind-of ignorant because the temp will never stay at one degrees or vary close to one.. varies by much more. But anyway the pic was a single instant while driving it does steadily climb as does boost which you see my boost was only at ten psi. So I'm right and wrong your right and wrong let's get past it . And I haul over 4k miles a week just saying ..

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk