Maxxis Tires

Gaffer

I have seen a lot of opinions about the G614's and the Ribs but little or nothing about the Maxxis. The 235/80R16 Maxxis is rated for 3450 @ 80 psi. It is rated @ 3130 @ 70 psi. My OEM tires are rated around 3150 @ 80. I don't know where this tire is made but would like to hear the good and bad about anyone's personal experience with this tire.

Thanks

loafer

Hey Gaffer
cant say much about 16 inch size tires but we put a set of 15 inch Maxxis on our sundance and now have 10,000 kilometers on them and they are great so far
We are 1/2 the way thru our x-canada and Usa tour so far so good. replaced our 1 year old missions
My .02 cents worth
Bill

TireHobby

Right now most of the Maxxis tires you will find in America have been manufactured in Taiwan. It’s the home country of the Manufacturer. Currently they are on the top of the food chain of ST tires. However, for those of you that do not want to use tires from the China Main Land you will have to start checking the country of origin stamped on all new Maxxis tires because they have recently started production in their largest and newest manufacturing plant and it’s located in Main Land China.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Trailer.aspx

TireHobby

p.s. Unless directed otherwise the ST tire needs to always be at full pressure as indicated on the sidewall.

Gaffer

I was on the Maxxis web site and could not find the diameter of the tire. I don't have much room between my OEM tires and don't really want to go bigger in diameter. My OEM's are around 30.5 if I remember correctly. The Ribs are closer to 32". The G614's are closer to my existing diameter but a bit wider and might rub the shocks. What is the diameter of the Maxxis tire?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I was on the Maxxis web site and could not find the diameter of the tire. I don't have much room between my OEM tires and don't really want to go bigger in diameter. My OEM's are around 30.5 if I remember correctly. The Ribs are closer to 32". The G614's are closer to my existing diameter but a bit wider and might rub the shocks. What is the diameter of the Maxxis tire?

If you want the Michelin Ribs put on the 245/75/R16......OD-30.6....SW- 9.6....Still have to check your width clearance......Kenny

Gaffer

245/75 is an option I hadn't considered, are you running them? They are a 10th inch wider than the G614's. The factory got back to me from Maxxis. Their tire is 30.8". And the width is same as OEM. My OEM's are Towmax. I have heard from two different tire people that Towmax used to be made by Goodyear in China. I wonder if they are the same as Marathons. Haven't checked the plant code on any Marathons. Largest independent tire dealer here on the west coast (they carry Towmax) said that he didn't think the Towmax is likely any better than the Mission. Only negative thing I have discovered so far about the Maxxis it that the sidewall plies are polyester and they are imported.

vangoes

I replaced my tires last fall with Maxxis tires and have run about 2000 miles on them. I have not read any negative postings on any of the various forums except that they are imported; but so are all of the 16" ST E rated tires (with the exception of maybe the new Marathons). So far so good.............and they cost about 1/2 the price of the Goodyear 614's. BTW, I ran the original Karrier Loadstars over 14,000 miles without incidence.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I had Unicorn tires on my Sundance3200ES and only 2 1/2 " between them. I couldn't use the Goodyear as they are rated at 110 PSI and the Ribs would touch. I ordered the Maxxis tires 235/80/R16 I have had them on for 5 months and have nothing but good things to say about them. Even though they say you can run them at 70 PSI I was told it is better to run them at 80 PSI.

TireHobby

According to the reference I posted in post #3 they are 30.8".

TireHobby

jwb187

Last year I finally got rid of the Mission tires that came on my unit and replaced them with Maxxis ST tires. I believe my tire size is 235/80/16. I now have close to 5000 miles on them and they look new and I have never had to add any air. I run 80psi in them and never get over 65mph. A tire dealer friend of mine who also has a 2008 Big Horn 3055rl order them for both of us as he also was afraid of the Mission tires that came as original equipment. As I recall I paid less than 500.00 for all four including mount and balance. I feel a sense of relief getting rid of the Missions, although I never had an issue with them. jwb.

Jim-n-Leslie

Maxxis tires are not Chinese. That's good news. Only having my BigHorn for the past year, I learned I had the infamous Chinese tires that were blowing out, and given my family is getting on the road to Florida for a week (from VA), I chose to change out the tires. Maxxis tires are rates well for the BH. I would have preferred truck tires in order to avoid the 65 MPH safe speed rating that camper tires fall under, unfortuantely for the wheel size I could only find trailer tires. Maxxis tires are also a bit more expensive. I have made a couple of trips on them and have been pleased with their handling. I have a TPMS and it shows they are holding their air. I would recommend them.
Jim

Gaffer

Maybe not China but Thialand or Taiwan. Whats the difference? Don't get me wrong I am not saying anything negative about them but as far as I am concerned they are Chineese.

porthole

Retired
LT (light truck) tires are no the same as ST (special trailer). Trailer tires are usually made with heavier sidewalls then passenger vehicle tires.

tmcran

I had Maxxis on the TT I had before getting the Sundance... very happy with them . I will be replacing the Missions with the Maxxis. I have buddy that has about 10,000 miles on a set of Maxxis. He has had no problems and the tread is holding up very well.