Measuring Cyclone overall height...

Cjackg

Since my Cyclone rides a couple of inches high in the front and I am considering some changes that could raise the overall height, I decided to measure the 3110 to be sure just how high it is. I got the Front A/C height (14") recently while working on the Jack Antenna replacement and today measured the ground to roof height.
The overall total came out to 12'10" with front jacks set to get the same trailer height as normally hooked up. I could be off an inch or so but expected to see a higher measurement....

I am interested to hear what other Cyclone owners are finding when they measure the overall height.

Last edited:

ILH

Aside from your individual modifications, I'm curious how well the factory listed height matches up to real life measurements.

What concerns me is that I've been relying on the website-posted height of 12'6".

gasman

Camp Socializer
Since 13' 6" is the maximum legal unpermitted height, I would say that you are very close with your measurement. Also never trust the highway clearance signs as they often times are not corrected when a highway is overlayed. I always add at least 6" to my required clearance. I really don't want to be on the six o'clock news!

chiefneon

Howdy!

When we purchased our Cyclone 4000 back in April I asked them to measure the height before I drove it off the lot. The tech that did our PDI stated it was 13 9" which I was not happy to hear. I have measured it myself and found it to be 13'6" still alittle to close for comfort but better.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

porthole

Retired
Aside from your individual modifications, I'm curious how well the factory listed height matches up to real life measurements.

What concerns me is that I've been relying on the website-posted height of 12'6".

I had the MR IS installed when the trailer was new. I did make a cursory inspection before the installation, but I don't recall what it was.
The 2010 brochure for our trailer listed the 3010 height at 12'11", all the other model at 13'3". The online specs at the time was 12'10" and 13'2" 'm not quite sure why the disparity in height. For the 2010 model year, all the trailers were basically same from the steps leading up to the bath and bedroom platform. 2 versions, fore/aft bed with closet in the slide or closet in the cap and bed in the slide. Same footprint though.

The newer style 3010's are all "full height" trailer, 8' garage door ramp (ours is a 7' door).

The listed heights are always with the trailer on level ground, on the landing gear with the trailer level. And - with only 1 AC.

I could see how with many of the new trucks having such high side walls and bed heights how the trailer heights can be quite a bit over listed heights.

How are you measuring the height? I tried several times and got different results each time. I finally settled on the measurement I got using a self leveling laser sitting on top of the AC and a tape measure, with someone holding the tape down. The odds are very good that I did not subtract the 2" height of the laser when getting my 13'2" measurement.

Got me curious though, I may have to do another measure. Since I last checked I have made changes to the suspension and the wheels.

Cjackg

My 3110 has 17.5" tires which should make little difference. I measured the height of the front A/C from the flat roof, 14", then later measured the ground to flat roof, 11'8" for a total of 12'10". I did this with the trailer sitting on front jacks, but adjusted to the same level where it normally rides. I may do it again soon with trailer hooked up to re-confirm.

I am seriously considering going to the MorRyde I/S to cure my leveling problems. I assume you are pleased with yours...?

porthole

Retired
I assume you are pleased with yours...?

I am.
When you get that done one of the procedures is to measure your truck and trailer. They then build the sub frame to make your trailer level. But, even with the minimum sub frame added, you will probably gain an inch or two.

BLHFUN

The way I measured mine was with the garage door. My garage is 14 foot in the open position to the concrete. I then pulled my Cyclone to the highest point (turned out it was the front AC unit by 3/4 inch over the back AC) and then measured the distance between the AC vent and the door which was 7 inches (14- 7 = 13.5). Talk about taking it to the max! Listed height is 13.3. For the 15 4200. Of course this is on the truck with a 3 inch lift from stock.

Jim-Lynn

Bart: we just picked up our new 4200 last week & I was concerned as to the height as well. I did a quick measuring and I got 13' 4". So man I was close and it you got 13.5 I am a happy camper & need not measure any further.

BLHFUN

Bart: we just picked up our new 4200 last week & I was concerned as to the height as well. I did a quick measuring and I got 13' 4". So man I was close and it you got 13.5 I am a happy camper & need not measure any further.

Congrats on the new purchase. post some pictures when you have time!

I can tell you that 13.5" stresses me out in town. Too many old bridges can make a bad day happen quickly.

scottyb

There are two short tunnels on Highway 12 in Red Canyon Utah that claim 13'6". I guess I am somewhere less than that because I made it both directions.

BLHFUN

There are two short tunnels on Highway 12 in Red Canyon Utah that claim 13'6". I guess I am somewhere less than that because I made it both directions.

Oh My.. I'm too close for a bridge labeled 13.6" - One Bounce and I lose a Satellite and 3 AC units.... And have a very angry Insurance Agent to boot! :)

jnbhobe

Oh My.. I'm too close for a bridge labeled 13.6" - One Bounce and I lose a Satellite and 3 AC units.... And have a very angry Insurance Agent to boot! :)

Well if your over 13' 6" your rig is illegal !! Over 13'6" high or 102" wide you need a permit to travel on a federal hiway.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My BH is 13' 2" to the high point which is the front A/C.

I won't go under anything marked less than 13' 6".

As far as HWY 12 at Red Canyon, there are all kinds of large RV's that travel that road.
Trace

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Although this thread is about Cyclone height, one way to determine how high your rig is regardless of model is acquire a 1x2x8, a measuring tape, and a helper. Hook up your rig and go to a parking lot with a good surface, go up on the roof and lay the 1x2 across the leading edge of the front AC unit so that the 1x2 extends out past the edge of the roof, feed out the tape to your helper and have them hold the end against the pavement, record the distance up to the bottom of the 1x2, perform same steps on other side of the rig, average the 2 measurements and that should be your height. Check the rear AC height the same way. It should equal to or a bit lower than the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My BH is 13' 2" to the high point which is the front A/C.

I won't go under anything marked less than 13' 6".

Trace

As is my BH and 13' 6" is my limit too although we squeaked through an old iron bridge marked 13' 3" across the Allegheny River on Rt 62 in western PA this past spring with several inches to spare. I'm guessing Penndot hadn't updated signage recently.

jnbhobe

As is my BH and 13' 6" is my limit too although we squeaked through an old iron bridge marked 13' 3" across the Allegheny River on Rt 62 in western PA this past spring with several inches to spare. I'm guessing Penndot hadn't updated signage recently.

Hunters Station just south of Tionesta,Pa. nice straight road into Oil City. LOL Hope ya had a nice trip Lyle.