medium duty trucks vs light duty(1ton)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm guessing that if one can't afford the tow vehicle . . . one probably can't afford the trailer that would need that type of vehicle to haul it with.

I guess if I were a full-timer hauling all over the place all of the time, a semi would be the tow vehicle of choice.

That being said . . . for our trailer and the usage we put our truck and trailer through . . . our 2015 Chevy 2500HD is plenty of truck for us!

attachment.php
attachment.php

At 10.5K . . . we don't need a semi truck to pull our 5th-wheeler.

If we ever upgrade to a bigger, heavier 5th-wheeler for the full-timer retirement gig . . . maybe yes!

SilverRhino

At 10.5K . . . we don't need a semi truck to pull our 5th-wheeler.

If we ever upgrade to a bigger, heavier 5th-wheeler for the full-timer retirement gig . . . maybe yes!

That's what is great about this Country...... We each get to choose what is best for our situation! :) :)

crazybanshee

It has been hard not to chime in on the subject because I am biased. My first HDT was an 98 International 9200. We put 100k on it in ten years and spent $350 a year on an oil change and filters. Our new Volvo we have had for four years and have spent $1K on the wood deck. $400 on a yearly oil change and filters.
Insurance and plates are 60% less than my F350. The Volvo does not even strain pulling our 20K fiver. Even the new 1 Tons are maxed and pulling hard with that weight.
Spending eight hours in the HDT is much more relaxing than in a LDT.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It has been hard not to chime in on the subject because I am biased. My first HDT was an 98 International 9200. We put 100k on it in ten years and spent $350 a year on an oil change and filters. Our new Volvo we have had for four years and have spent $1K on the wood deck. $400 on a yearly oil change and filters.
Insurance and plates are 60% less than my F350. The Volvo does not even strain pulling our 20K fiver. Even the new 1 Tons are maxed and pulling hard with that weight.

I think I've seen your rig on the road around here . . . I live in Thornton! (roughly 120th. & Colorado BLVD)

Maybe you could come to one of our Colorado Rallies!

Let me know!

Bones

Your truck looks good

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One of my friends towed with an Ford F650 Supercruzer MDT. He loved it except when he went to park. He could not park in a parking garage and if parking in a lot he would be charged for 2 parking places. He also had difficulty getting into some places he wanted to visit so he would rent a car. Also tires cost lots of $. When we traveled with him we would use my F350 to sight-see. Also if you check those who tow with a HDT there is usually a smart car or motorcycle with them that they use for their 'get-around town' transportation. That just adds more $ to their transportation costs in fuel, maintenance and insurance costs.

tomsws6

I think Im leaning twards a MDT(kodiak,450)... I think anyway... I stopped by the local dealership and checked out a new f450..... 75 GRAND!!!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think Im leaning twards a MDT(kodiak,450)... I think anyway... I stopped by the local dealership and checked out a new f450..... 75 GRAND!!!!!

With the GCVW and Towing weights as high as they are now on a F350 or D3500 why do you need a MDT?

SilverRhino

One of my friends towed with an Ford F650 Supercruzer MDT. He loved it except when he went to park. He could not park in a parking garage and if parking in a lot he would be charged for 2 parking places. He also had difficulty getting into some places he wanted to visit so he would rent a car. Also tires cost lots of $. When we traveled with him we would use my F350 to sight-see. Also if you check those who tow with a HDT there is usually a smart car or motorcycle with them that they use for their 'get-around town' transportation. That just adds more $ to their transportation costs in fuel, maintenance and insurance costs.

There are definitely considerations that need to be taken into account before giving up the pickup......In our case, we took that all into account and the safety, braking power and comfort far out weighed the added expenses. You just have to determine your individual priorities.

tomsws6

Im struggling to wrap my mind around the prices of new trucks.. I have looked at 350/3500 above 2010.. Still getting info on capacities. I did see a 2012 f350 dually for 30k (109k) on the clock.

crazybanshee

Hey JohnD I live in Westminster so I am always running around somewhere. I used to do the rallies but not much into paying for camping spots.

tomsws6

Ok , bringing this back from the dead.. Im still at odds here as I found a late 2004 (LLY) Chevy Kodiak with 80k on the clock. It has the, what looks like a Monroe type conversion with the nice dual air ride seats and leather and a hauler bed for around 30k from a Chevy dealer. Very nice and very clean truck but..........as I look more into this Im not sure legally it can haul my 4200... The has no porb on the pin weight but it only has a 26k comb weight... Correct me if Im wrong but thats not something I can legally change?

B

BouseBill

26k sure seems light, gas or diesel truck? Transmission, gearing??

Bones

Ok , bringing this back from the dead.. Im still at odds here as I found a late 2004 (LLY) Chevy Kodiak with 80k on the clock. It has the, what looks like a Monroe type conversion with the nice dual air ride seats and leather and a hauler bed for around 30k from a Chevy dealer. Very nice and very clean truck but..........as I look more into this Im not sure legally it can haul my 4200... The has no porb on the pin weight but it only has a 26k comb weight... Correct me if Im wrong but thats not something I can legally change?
I think this truck is a medium duty truck

- - - Updated - - -

My truck pulls more than that so something is off

tomsws6

I beleive its 4.88's.... Yeah it is a medium duty 2wd..
  • VIN 1GBE4E1234F521860 6.6 duramax with the allison 1000 5sp

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Get in touch with Ken and Kathy Adams on this forum (kkampers). They had one and changed to a newer Chevy 3500 with more capacity and a much better ride.

DW_Gray

If you haven't done so, read this article: The Truth about Altering Vehicle Weight Certification

Although, whatever you do to modify the truck, you can not legally change the Certification Label (GVWR and GAWR). Now, I don't know if GCWR is listed on MDT's Certification Label. It is not on LDTs, etc. If it's not part the MDT's Certification Label, then there are plenty of aftermarket mods you can do to improve the GCWR. That's what I did to my 08 Ram and I basically turned into a 2012 Ram.

tomsws6

Im sure these trucks wouldnt have any issue as I read that the reason for the 26001 was to keep it under that CDL threshold. And that is a fact cause I read it on the interweb...