medium duty trucks vs light duty(1ton)

avvidclif

Ok , bringing this back from the dead.. Im still at odds here as I found a late 2004 (LLY) Chevy Kodiak with 80k on the clock. It has the, what looks like a Monroe type conversion with the nice dual air ride seats and leather and a hauler bed for around 30k from a Chevy dealer. Very nice and very clean truck but..........as I look more into this Im not sure legally it can haul my 4200... The has no porb on the pin weight but it only has a 26k comb weight... Correct me if Im wrong but thats not something I can legally change?

Check with De about what license you need and how they would register it as a non-commercial vehicle. The dealer probably already knows. Legally is probably whatever you want to pay for weightwise.
That weight rating is probably to conform to DOT regulations for commercial trucks. Over 26k requires a higher class of license.
It's capable of more than that. Look up Cab Chassis specs for that year. A 2006 has these;
GVWR: 17,500 lbs,
Front Axle: 7,000 lbs,
Rear Axle: 13,500 lbs,

That's just for the vehicle, not a combined rating. Call the company that built it (conversion) and ask them.

DW_Gray

Honestly, the new Ram 3500 has more HP and torque than what is available for the 4500/5500. IMO, the Ram 3500 should have no problem towing a 20,000 pound GVWR trailer. I've been towing 19,400 pounds across the country very successfully. I've been over I 70 twice in Colorado and was passing all the HDTs. (And that was before I started using the Smarty Jr. tuner.)

tomsws6

Honestly, the new Ram 3500 has more HP and torque than what is available for the 4500/5500. IMO, the Ram 3500 should have no problem towing a 20,000 pound GVWR trailer. I've been towing 19,400 pounds across the country very successfully. I've been over I 70 twice in Colorado and was passing all the HDTs. (And that was before I started using the Smarty Jr. tuner.)

Agreed the newer dually's can handle the 4200's 20k but the 40-60k price tags are little out there. I have been mainly looking at the big 3 2011 or newer (+08 an up f450's) too..

DW_Gray

Agreed the newer dually's can handle the 4200's 20k but the 40-60k price tags are little out there. I have been mainly looking at the big 3 2011 or newer (+08 an up f450's) too..

Yeah, if you could find the right 2013 model or newer, you'd have a good truck. (Though the 2012 isn't that far off.) The 2013 improved GVWR and GAWR.

mcolson84

I have an HDT that I use to haul ours. In New Mexico all I had to do was tell the DMV what the truck was being used for (personal non monetary gain purposes) and they registered and plated it as an RV. I do not require any special licensing per the DOT office and MVD. I called them numerous times and checked with them on the phone before purchasing the truck.

I thought the Kodiak was rated that way do to the rating for the Allison transmission in it. I looked at them at one time and really liked them. I just never could find one to fit my budget. I would speak with the MVD and state DOT to see what they have to say. Ask them for the statute number also so you can read it for yourself.