Mega Shower Door Handles Have Came Off...

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
In our 2011 Key Largo we have the mega shower with a 3-paneled glass sliding door. The two 'end' panels of the door have metal handles that attach to the glass. We replaced the original door almost a year ago. The handles fell off that door shortly after we moved in and DH tried using double stick tape to re-attach the handles but it didn't last long. Then the door had to be replaced and we didn't have to deal with the handles any longer.

We've had no problem with the replacement door and it's handles until just recently when both came off. Not a big deal but quite frustrating to try and close the shower door with no handles!

Inside each of the handles is a small, thin rubber piece of material that acts as a buffer between the metal handle and the glass door. It sits inside the groove in the handle and then the glass door slides into it.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Any ideas as to what would attach the handles and keep 'em attached!??

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours have come off several times. We replaced them using a rubberized tape.
Now I don't pull on the handles, I only push and pull from the back edges of the door to open and close them.
The handles are for decoration at this point, until I can figure something else out. Trace

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I would try some "3M 5200 Sealant / Adhesive". It is a marine product, so it works great in wet areas. It is white and messy to work with, but a great product.
You can get at any marine store and I think I have seen it at Home Depot.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bret, Thanks. I'll check it out. (Although I am dangerous with sealant or glue.)

EDIT;

Speedy
, Thanks,I think that is the tape we are using. It holds okay, if you don't muscle it.

Gasman, I will check your idea of that tape, it may be better than what I am using. Trace

Last edited:

Speedy

I would suggest 3M double sided automotive tape. Black in color and designed for harsh enviroments. Auto parts store carry it.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Home Depot sells a outdoor double back tape in the paint dept. it is gray with red backer film. It is very similar to 3M. Might even be the same stuff. It sticks to EVERYTHING!

porthole

Retired
The 3 M tape is great if you can use it.
3M 5200 is tenacious stuff and can be messy.

5200 comes in white OR black, in standard set and fast set.
Standard takes a full 7, yes seven days to cure.
Fast takes about 24 hours.

If you glue the handle on with something like 5200 you need to secure the item well until the adhesive is cured.

I would suggest if using 5200, having plenty of paper towels and acetone handy.
Taping off the area will aid in the cleanup.