Meter for aiming Sat dish

jdfishing

Good luck PJ. I've had several meters and had no luck with any of them. Could have been me!! But there are a lot of satellites up there and I never could find the right one. I finally bought a gizmo that attaches to the dish. Just put the coordinates in and it points you toward the satellite. I have found nothing to replace the wife watching the TV for signal strength.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good luck PJ. I've had several meters and had no luck with any of them. Could have been me!! But there are a lot of satellites up there and I never could find the right one. I finally bought a gizmo that attaches to the dish. Just put the coordinates in and it points you toward the satellite. I have found nothing to replace the wife watching the TV for signal strength.

What is your gismo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I use an app called IP Webcam, an old smart phone, MiFi as a hub and a tablet. Set the old smart phone up in a mount to watch the signal meters on the TV, telnet to the IP Webcan app IP address in the smart phone and view the meters on the tablet while adjusting the dish. I find that Directv HD Slimelime SWM dish is easier to align than a SD dish. The mount has scales built in for elevation and skew. With a vertical mast (use a level) you just have to point it in the right direction(Azimuth) . Chris

mlpeloquin

Here's a gizmo. I can't vouch for effectiveness, but am amazed at how many of these types of aiming tools are on the market!

Had a member of our local group get and use one of those gizmo's. It worked well for his standard non high definition dish. Don't know just how well it would work with a high definition dish. Certainly would get it close.