Meter for aiming Sat dish

Gaffer

I would like to pick up a meter to simplify the setup of my dish. Any suggestions on one that will do the job without breaking the bank?

osims

bsims
I've been using the cheap digital meter from Amazon, there about $10. Been using these for a long time with no problems.

gasman

Camp Socializer
PJ, look me up in Vegas. You are welcome to try mine. If it works for you, you could probably make a great deal as I don't use it anymore.

aRAYwego

PJ, look me up in Vegas. You are welcome to try mine. If it works for you, you could probably make a great deal as I don't use it anymore.
Can you guys look me up in site 316 when you are going to demo this meter? I have one but not sure I'm using it right. lol Maybe ya'll can learn me something......

Rhyph

You have to be a member of the secret society of satellite dish aiming app'ers and meter users to get this info because no one will post it publicly it seems. :rolleyes:

I used a BirDog satellite aimer when I was an install tech manager for Echostar back in the day, I don't know what people are using now from a hardware perspective. They were pricey, but could be updated with firmware/software over time. Most likely depending on your budget, you might find a meter that could do any service (Dish/DirecTV) or you might have to pick one locked to your current provider. There are some running around on eBay but you have to be careful with what you get. Hopefully someone has a simpler, more user friendly solution that's up to date to suggest.

As for apps, I use Dish and I found an app that was free at the time (several years ago) called "Dish For My Rv Satellite Finder". He now charges $9.99 for it seems. There's probably other options out there, but I haven't looked at them lately since it works pretty well, albeit it's seemingly low ratings lately.

danemayer

Here's one site that deals in meters. You might give them a call to see if the EZ-Sat meter will work with your gear. At $59.99 the description looks pretty promising. The key feature seems to be that it identifies which satellite it's reading signal from.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here's one site that deals in meters. You might give them a call to see if the EZ-Sat meter will work with your gear. At $59.99 the description looks pretty promising. The key feature seems to be that it identifies which satellite it's reading signal from.
The only problem with low cost meters is that they are suitable for mostly older equipment.
The EZ-Sat meter will not work with DTV SWM, Dish 1000 or other multi LNB units.

On a similar note, I have the tripod system from TV4RV and once the initial setup is completed correctly there should be no problem getting the signal using the receivers signal meter.
This system works great, I would recommend it and I like it.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

There is no app that will give you signal strength. I use one to give me the local elevation, azimuth and skew. Then I use a compass to point in the general direction. Since I can't see or hear the signal strength meter on the TV, I rely on DW to relay that info to me. I would like to be able to get it dialed in on my own. Or at least very close.

Bogie

I use an App called Satellite Finder. It works quite well and allows you to edit the satellite list. I use Direct TV, so I edited out the satellites on either side of the Direct 101 satellite, and edited the name to "Direct TV 101", so I could distinguish it easier. Small drawback is that the satellite list is by the name of the satellite, not the company that uses it, so you have to do a little research at the beginning to know which bird your service uses. I mainly use it to see if I have a clear shot at the satellite before proceeding. Once I knew I could see the satellite I could set up the dish using a compass. I used a cheap Wingard meter to fine tune the signal. This year though I bought a Wingard Carryout. I still use the app to verify that I can see the satellite before proceeding. Oh...I don't belong to the secrete society, so I guess I've been operating unsanctioned all this time...Dooh. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MikeR

Those meters are so-so if you are looking for one satellite, maybe. In today's world where in most cases you are going to be looking for 3 satellites, you might find a signal but you don't know which one. You need a meter that you can enter the parameters for each individual satellite. In my case, with Dish service I have to find satellite numbers 110, 119, and 129. I use a First Strike Meter and can find the strongest signal for each individual satellite. Then I can sit back and enjoy HD television

Gaffer

With direct I just need to catch the 101. The sats on either side will take care of themselves.

wdk450

I have had several of the cheap analog meters of of E-Bay, and one digital bargraph meter. My current sat meter is one of the original analog needle types, but if is a Triplett brand bought at Fry's Electronics in Phoenix.

BTW, I know that you are just aiming at 1 satellite, but for those who have Dish 3 satellite system, here's what I do. I usually have the elevation setting close due to a previous set-up within 500 miles of the last one. I use a compass to get the heading, then set the dish pointed (azimuth) about 40 degrees or more East of the desired compass number. I set the Dish box for the middle (119 degree) satellite. I then swing the dish West watching the meter. There will be 3 strong signal peaks corresponding to the 3 satellites. I set the dish aiming at the middle signal peak, adjusting the azimuth and elevation for maximum signal. This works for me, and correlates with the given dish pointing compass number.

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Cheep meters will work with standard definition satellite dishes and cannot distinguish between Direct TV and Dish. I learned to find the Dish signal (it is stronger) then turn right and down. Then I changed to a high definition Direct TV dish. I purchased a Birdog satellite meter. It will home in only the selected signal. Now I point using my I-Phone compass and then move up and down left to right. Get it in less than a minuet. If you are doing HD, then the cheep meter will not work. With HD or standard deff you only need to fine the 101. The other two will come in so long as the tilt angle is close. Never leveled the dish, except on first setup, and never have had any problems with the tilt angle. Close is good enough. Around the country 96% to 99% signal strength without adjusting the tilt or leveling.

jerryneal

I gave up using a meter. DirecTV gives the azimuth, elevation and tilt in the set up. Key is to have your base perfectly level. Just put the receiver in set up and have someone watch the single levels. I can usually hit the Satelitte on the first or second try using the compass on my smart phone. Dish has an excellent booklet that comes with the dish that gives the same settings by zip code. I do use the Satelitte Finder app only to find the general location without trees blocking the view. It gets easier after you have gone through a set up a couple of times.

mlpeloquin

I gave up using a meter. DirecTV gives the azimuth, elevation and tilt in the set up. Key is to have your base perfectly level. Just put the receiver in set up and have someone watch the single levels. I can usually hit the Satelitte on the first or second try using the compass on my smart phone. Dish has an excellent booklet that comes with the dish that gives the same settings by zip code. I do use the Satelitte Finder app only to find the general location without trees blocking the view. It gets easier after you have gone through a set up a couple of times.

Been there and tried that. You do not have my wife. I will use the meter!