Mexico???? The Country, not the New state.

VMooreSR

In my mind, taking your 5er to Mexico is like holding a neon sign saying I have a $50,000 truck and a $75000 rig so since I have that much money I am the ideal robbery victim. No way will I do that. Even though some will say it is still safe. I would not do it even in a caravan. Too many great places to visit in the good ole USA.

What Jim said.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to consider is insurance.
Will your auto insurance cover you in Mexico?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Another thing to consider is insurance.

Peace
Dave
From what I've seen, except for travel in a very limited area, you'll need Mexican Insurance on both truck and trailer along with temporary importation permits.

We've got quite a few responses to the OP - doesn't look like anyone yet responding has taken their RV to Mexico or plans to do so.

HornedToad

The Texas Personal Auto Policy has a built in "Limited Mexico" endorsement that provides coverage within 25 miles of the border for infrequent trips. In most other states if this endorsement is not built into the policy it can be added for an additional premium.

To travel into Mexico beyond the "Frontier Zone" there is a check point where you would have to show proof of "Mexican Insurance", among other things,to travel into the interior.

Brazos

I followed Tioga George and his travels in Mexico for several years. For those who do not know who Tioga George was. He traveled throughout Mexico for many years in a Tioga Class C. George's last trip to Mexico from the US to south of the border a couple of years ago he was robbed twice. George lived in Mexico in his RV full time for the last few years he was there. George made friends with a couple of Mexican citizens over the years who did repair work on his motorhome. They became good friends. His friends were murdered at their repair business.
George returned to the US and gave up on Mexico. No one was more of a proponent for traveling in Mexico with an RV than George was. I think George's story makes a strong case to consider if you decide to travel in Mexico with an RV.
I would not travel in Mexico theses day with an RV. I do visit on foot to Algodones near Yuma from time to time and have for the past 20 years without any problems.

Lynn1130

Mexico has changed greatly over the last 10-15 years and most of it is not to the good. We used to spend many vacations, with our kids and without in later years, in Rocky Point. A short 4 hour drive from Phoenix. There was no danger in driving and we made stops at Sonoita to shop and back roaded to many of the hidden beaches around the town. We did the same in Los Cabos we would fly in, rent a car and drive to Todos Santos where we would stay for a week or more again back roading many of the beautiful and very lonely beaches as well as back roading the Sea of Cortez side out of San Jose del Cabo. BUT, then came the drug runners using the small towns airports to bring in drugs from the mainland, the shoot outs at resorts in Rocky Point and a warning from a friend and hotel owner in Todos Santos about planes landing on beaches to off load drugs. Some stories were probably urban legends and some true but Baja Sur became a bigger problem because of the imported labor from the main land as well as the drug runners using Baja to avoid mainland checks. So, bottom line to all of this is we do not travel in Mexico any longer. Even small border towns that used to be fun to visit and shop are questionable now. RVing alone is dangerous and in groups, while there might be safety in numbers, are subject to stops and shake-downs by police or those posing as police. Our neighbors have a place in Rocky Point and they have offered it several times. My wife just will not travel there anymore and I am reluctant.
And, yes if you go with a vehicle, you need Mexican insurance. You will see signs for insurance on the US side before crossing and on the Mexican side after crossing. DO NOT TAKE A GUN OR AMMO ACROSS THE BORDER. Even if you think you hid it well, being caught with it is a felony and in Mexico's legal system you must prove yourself innocent of the crime not the other way around.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I used to teach scuba diving every other weekend in Mexico...Not sure what this Importation permit is, but in my experience I have never been asked or had it mentioned, I have no idea what it is. With all that said, I would never pull my RV down into Mexico. Some have with good luck and some with really bad luck. Remember, you don't have any "Rights" in Mexico, they offer nothing you can't find in the US and the prices are no longer a great deal. Their diesel fuel is high sulfur, so if running a newer truck, you will have problems.
My Ranch is 13 miles from the Mexican border and I use to go over for fuel for the ranch tractors etc. Coming back home about 1/4 mile from crossing into US, there was a backup at the border. About 6 cars behind me, It sounded like an automatic weapon firing....When at the border, I asked what happened and someone was wasted while in their vehicle crossing into the US from Mexico....
I have never been back since and will never ever go back again....In my opinion, stay in the US or Canada, Mexico offers you nothing that is worth the risk you take by crossing over....Also I had a Dr buddy placed in jail, seized his truck, boat at one of their interior check points run by 16 year old kids with automatic rifles. They said he has drugs in his boat...never happened and he lost everything they took, and spent over 6 months in a Mexican prison before being released by paying a lot of money.

Rddocatt

I have never had a problem pulling my boat or trailer. Remember your in a different country and act accordingly. Honestly i would not camp in downtown Wash DC nor would I camp in Harlem. So if you get my point dangers lay in all areas of any country.
I would suggest you travel with another or in a group such as the Vagabundos Del Mar out of San Diego. They have many great trips to beaches, to see whales, or the Cabo direct trip. I am going back this summer for several weeks and different trips

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have camped, RV'd and surfed in Mexico many times since the 60's. The problems started in the 90's and now we just don't drive down anymore. Which is unfortunate, because I love parts of Mexico, especially Baja. There is just too much lawlessness right now.

The one exception is, we have walked across to Los Algadones for meds etc, which is like a DMZ for tourista's.

BUT, I have friends, some right here on this forum, who still pull their rigs down and have never had any issues. So, it can still be done. Trace

Bohemian

There are still a few caravanning tour group who go to Mexico and that is how I would go.

Yes, one needs Mexican liability insurance when driving in Mexico. Just like driving in the U.S. Best purchased before you go from a reputable insurer. Tour groups will help or you can go your own way.

One can point to a large number of places where RVers have had trouble in the U.S. and Canada.

Remember one thing about the news, it seeks controversy, covers it all out of proportion, and blows it all out of proportion. That is the honest non-political news. Political news and news about Central and South American which now always has a political aspect is intentionally distorted. Yes, there are dangerous places that need to be eliminated from any itinerary. They are also many beautiful places to love and cherish.

AAdams

We went to Progreso, TX and walked across last week. We wanted to see Mexico since it was real close ( 350+ miles round trip ). I can say it is different. [h=1][/h]

scottyb

I have driven across the Yucatan Peninsula, through the jungle from Talum to the Gulf side to Holbox to see the whale sharks. That was in 2005 because we had to leave Holbox due to Katrina entering the Gulf of Mexico. With that said, I don't think I would drive my RV into Mexico. Maybe in a large organized group like Rddocatt suggest. Although we befriended a Canadian couple that drives their DP down the east coast of the Gulf of California, from Tucson to their 54' sailboat they keep there. They store the MH there while they live on the sail boat for the winter. Then they dry dock the sail boat in the Spring. They return to Canada and full time in the motorhome for the summer. Not a bad life style.