Mexico???? The Country, not the New state.

Bohemian

Who has RVed in Mexico? Where have you gone? Where have you avoided.? What are the great sights and fun? How have you gone, solo, or with a group?

danemayer

I think there's a family with an SOB that went through Mexico. IIRC their name was The Millers.

Oh wait. Maybe that was a movie.

HornedToad

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

PS To all the "What's your favorite Carry Weapon" posters...

Guns are illegal in Mexico, that's why only the criminals have them.

A US citizen caught in Mexico with a gun or even a stray bullet under the car seat,
will spend 10's of thousands, if not up to $100,000, to bribe your way out of jail / prison.

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My father took a caravan trip in his motor home from east to west by road and train across north Mexico in 1988. Although everyone made the trip then without incident, if he was alive today he'd say you're crazy to even think about making that trip today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would not fly there, drive there, or walk there. That country is on the brink of anarchy and civil war, festered by greed, corruption, and drug cartels.. As a moneyed "gringo" traveling there invites the potential to be a target.

SilverRhino

I have friends who have not seen family members for years because they will not cross the border into Mexico to visit........Their families tell them not to come it is too dangerous. Agree with JohnDar 100%

bobca1

Well i'm a gringo and I take my family to Mexico at least once a year, have been visiting for the past 10 years, never once felt unsafe or had any problem. But I'm not going to border towns, flying into tourist areas they are fine as safe as any big city in the US.
As safe as I feel in those places, no way I would RV there or even consider driving my rig across the border!

Jim.Allison

I grew up in Del Rio, Texas and Mexico was my second home, going to Ciudad Acuna was like going to the other side of town. I can tell you horror stories about my experiences, and those of my friends, while in Mexico. But that was child's play compared to today.

I was going to try to tell you about it, but the story is long and most would not read it anyway. But here is the gist of the whole thing.

If you cross you are risking everything you have, and everything your family has. ESPECIALLY if you go into the interior. Just your TV will make you a victim. Your whole rig will cause you to be murdered. That is the cold hard facts.

If you are not killed on the spot for your rig, you will be incarcerated until the entire wealth of your family members and anyone else that cares about you are exhausted. You will never see your rig ever again.

Flying into a tourist spot, is a lot different than than traveling, you are not likely to have any problems in such an adventure. But if you do its a serious problem.

But I too have many friends that have family all over Mexico. Infact I am in touch with them on a daily basis through Facebook. And the story is the same, over and over. "I can't go see my family", My friends that still live in Del Rio won't even cross the border.

Friends these are people that are living the nightmare. Its up close and personal to them.

My son went on a high school trip to Copper Canyon Mexico via a Mexican Train. The next year was when things got bad in Mexico, I begged the teacher that was leading the expedition to cancel it, he would not. My kid was old enough to fight me over it, and was blinded by the glitter of the trip. I kept up with the intelligence via my Job with the Border Patrol.

Finally, I asked what town were they going to stay at. I told my son that he could go on the trip if I could not find information of a drug related murder in that town. He agreed. I did not go into that bet blindfolded, I knew what I was talking about, he did not. I already knew there had been 13 drug related murders and half of those were a drive by shooting at a "quinceanera" (15 birthday of a Mexican girl), she was killed. The rest of the murders were city official, there were another 50 kidnappings and disappearances.

No thanks, I have not lost anything over there and I'm not about to risk the entire net worth of my family, to some drug lord.

Mexico is finished, and is not likely to recover in your lifetime.

Jim.Allison

This is true! And I know it is true.

I would not fly there, drive there, or walk there. That country is on the brink of anarchy and civil war, festered by greed, corruption, and drug cartels.. As a moneyed "gringo" traveling there invites the potential to be a target.

happykraut

I walked over into Mexico 3 or 4 times this Jan and Feb and several times last year. No problems whatsoever, but things could be different next year when I plan to go again. Good place to get medication and one of my dentists is over there.

Bohemian

There are definitely places to NOT go. There are definitely places as safe as most in the U.S.

Other countries have had travel warnings about the U.S.

HornedToad

To echo Jim's post...

I grew up in El Paso where driving over the bridge was a weekly ritual. I've probably visited Mexico close to 1,000 times. I've been to just about every border town, most of the coastal resort destinations and several of the large metropolitan cities in the interior. I driven into the interior at least two dozen times, mostly along the Gulf of California, but I've also traveled the Pan-American Highway.

I am very familar with Mexico and have not driven into the country since the death of the Juarez drug "Lord of the Skies" in the late 90's. That was the tipping point when the other cartels started battling for his turf in a drug war that escalated up and down the border and continues today.

I still travel to Mexico almost annually by cruise ship or plane to resorts, which is still relatively safe.

It is no longer safe to drive into the interior of Mexico.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In my mind, taking your 5er to Mexico is like holding a neon sign saying I have a $50,000 truck and a $75000 rig so since I have that much money I am the ideal robbery victim. No way will I do that. Even though some will say it is still safe. I would not do it even in a caravan. Too many great places to visit in the good ole USA.