Mice in Shelves

jmpower114

Our rig is a 2017 Cyclone 4200. We have a mouse in our shelves above the microwave. We think he's coming in from under the lip of the second shelf. See arrow in picture. Or through the hole for the microwave cord.

We are considering using spray foam to close underneath the 2nd shelf and plug the cord hole. Would that work?

Anyone else have this issue previously?
What did you do to keep them from coming in?
894e624b05f0c1a7210f4696d2b7cad4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some use the foam, some use steel wool, and others use Bounce dryer sheets. I spray the frame and anything(other than the tires) that touches the ground with MouseFree each year. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddylives

Spray foam may not work well.
I stuff the openings with steel wool....regular steel wool is messy and can be messy with rust and such.
I bought some stainless steel scrubbers for dish washing and unraveled them to use.
Great for mice.....squirrels just pull it out and make a nest with it lol.
Old school snap traps work well inside and a bucket trap outside really helps to thin out the population.....there is never just one mouse lol

Gary521

There is a foam designed for rodents at Home Depot. However, this probably will not keep them out. I use an ultrasonic repellent. One in the basement, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. Supposedly, there is no proof that these things work. Well, since we started using them several years aqo, no mice.

jerryjay11

After using mouse bait traps I plugged in two of those electronic deterrent devices. Haven't had any mouse problems in past two years. Yeah, I didn't believe it either so I randomly check the camper throughout the winter. I also remove all food items for the winter, especially those soft food packs that they'll find easy to nibble on. Can't understand why they eat the insulation off electrical wiring though.

Gary just beat me to this post.

wdk450

Spray foam may not work well.
I stuff the openings with steel wool....regular steel wool is messy and can be messy with rust and such.
I bought some stainless steel scrubbers for dish washing and unraveled them to use.
Great for mice.....squirrels just pull it out and make a nest with it lol.
Old school snap traps work well inside and a bucket trap outside really helps to thin out the population.....there is never just one mouse lol

I had to look up "Bucket Mouse Trap". I found this: http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap . Neat idea, except you have to frequently tend it to remove the trapped mice, or nasty things happen. I want to go back and explore the "fivegallonideas.com website to see what all is there. Like a duct tape website.

Has this manufacturer built a trailer that mice can’t in?? Spent 2 years each on 2 different heartland ****** plugging holes in the frame to keep them out. Did I mention **********!

Admin Edit: No need to disparage the mfr in such a vile way on this venue.

kwolbeck

Past Heartland Ambassador
Here is a mice prevention method we heard about and have been using for about 7 years of our 9 years of full timing.

We place a string of white rope lights on the ground the full distance around our rigs contact points with the ground. It needs to wrap around the water hose, sewer hose, power cord, jacks or anything that keeps the rope lights from making a complete ground barrier to your rig. Supposedly the mice won't cross the white lights.

We don't do it 100% of the time, just when we are in a location that we think might have a mice problem. We have been in places where others have gotten mice and we have not, so to us, the rope lights have saved us.

This doesn't help with the mice you currently have but may prevent more from getting in and enjoying your groceries.

Good luck,
Kevin

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
There is a foam designed for rodents at Home Depot. However, this probably will not keep them out. I use an ultrasonic repellent. One in the basement, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. Supposedly, there is no proof that these things work. Well, since we started using them several years aqo, no mice.

We're with you on the electronics. We used bounce sheets and electronics, six of them spread throughout the coach! We have not seen evidence of mice for probably 7-8years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

centerline

my method for removing rodents has always been quick and absolute... I use d-Con poison, which after they eat a bit of it, causes them to leave by the same hole they came in.. then after a week or two, I search for, and plug all the holes to the exterior of the trailer so others cant get in...

I leave the d-Con blockes in nooks and crannies so its hidden and pets cant get to it, so that any rodents that may find their way in thru the door will be taken care of.

as for the BigHorn trailer that we have now, when I was installing a generator and transfer switch, I found an open hole at the end of the step frame, right in front of the entry steps.... they left it open to to run the wiring to the step lights.... but the mice had not found it yet... everything else is sealed by the corroplast.

as for plugging holes that are odd shaped and hard to cover, I find the easiest way is using epoxy resin, and mixing sand into it, then taking a piece of sponge or foam rubber large enough to fill the hole, saturating it in the epoxy sand mix, then wringing it out, and stuffing it in the hole.... when the epoxy sets, the sponge hardens and the rodents cant chew thru it due to the sand.... but as its not a super solid blockage, if it ever needs removed, it can easily be punched out and removed....

using regular spray foam can work also, but only if you take a zinc rich galvanize spray paint and give the sprayfoam a couple good coats after the foam dries....

ive used the rodent proof spray foam also, but only to plug holes that were a potential opening for rodents, so the rodents never had a chance to know it was a potential entry spot, and never tried to chew thru it..

Last edited:

roy2

After using mouse bait traps I plugged in two of those electronic deterrent devices. Haven't had any mouse problems in past two years. Yeah, I didn't believe it either so I randomly check the camper throughout the winter. I also remove all food items for the winter, especially those soft food packs that they'll find easy to nibble on. Can't understand why they eat the insulation off electrical wiring though.

Gary just beat me to this post.
what kind of the electronic devices do you use. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bounce sheets didn't work for me, electronic repellers did

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
what kind of electronic repellers do you use thanks