Microwave Exhaust Fan

ParkIt

Re: Microwave Exhuast Fan

So it appears us folks with the old standard patio awning have an advantage. An awning pole!:eek:
Ah-yep. I had two awning poles and kept one when I sold the RV. Mega handy for a lot of things on this unit particularly when you are as short as I am. (Gary Newman's "Short People" song just started playing in my head) ;)
Got the vent cover open. First removed caulk :) then pushed up on tabs with 2 screwdrivers (while on ladder). Works great. Have to figure out now how to do this without a ladder.

Glad you got it open, wonder if you can find a telescope wand with a soft end or band a piece of foam to it for open and closing...unless it now does it on its own?

jbeletti

I heard back from the manufacturer (B&B Molders) via our Purchasing Department. B&B says the vent can remain in the open position and the inner flapper will stay close unless the microwave is on or if the wind is knocking it around.

Personally, I have always left my vent flapper unlocked. I've lost 1 flapper in 8+ years. With this new design, I think there will be less turbulence getting at the flapper when you're pulling the RV with the outer vent cover open.

That all said, I too wish it was an easy open/close thing without a ladder. Looking forward to seeing one of these up close and personal. Maybe someone on the forum will develop a viable tool before I get my next demo coach.

By the way, I did ask Purchasing to get with Production on the issue of sealing the outer vent door closed with caulk. Oops!

Thanks for letting use know this was happening.

happykraut

Got the vent cover open. First removed caulk :) then pushed up on tabs with 2 screwdrivers (while on ladder). Works great. Have to figure out now how to do this without a ladder.
I have the new vent in my rig. A real pain. 2 mechanics at the dealer fought it for a good while trying to open it. Standing on a 2 foot ladder, my fingertips can just touch the tabs. The screwdriver method sounds OK, but how do you close it? Jim's idea of leaving them open sounds great, but would it suck in a bunch of dust tooling down the road?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I kept my old awning rod from my sob and used that to open from the ground and have just left mine open so far with no issues. My sob the vent cover eventually fell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I left our flapper unlocked (by mistake) and yep it is gone. So I made a templet out of poster board and cut out a new flapper from the lid of a plastic storage container. Installed it and it works great. BTW while the flapper was out I cut to size a piece of metal window screen to cover the vent with to keep out the bugs and mud daubers. The screen sits behind the flapper. Will remember to lock it from now on.

wdk450

This might be a little off topic, but I thought I would share it. I have just the Ventline range hood fan (no exterior microwave fan vent). I engineered an inside closure system for the exterior vent flap. This all started when I happened to stick my head up in the vent hood and noticed that it was a straight line from the exterior flap to the top edge of the hood front face. I got some bead chain, a ceiling fan bead chain knob, and a small spring. I drilled a hole a little bigger than the bead chain diameter in the straight line point in the vent hood faceplate top, then cut a small slit in the bottom edge of the hole to lock the bead chain. I went outside on the ladder and used some nylon twine and the spring secured to the top outside of the vent cover to make a spring pull-open assembly. I cut 2 small slits close together in the vent flap bottom edge - I put the stretched spring return into one slit and the bead chain from the inside knob in the other slit. I secured the slit connections to the flap with RVers Goop. Going back inside (after the Goop sets overnight) I adjusted the bead chain knob assembly and chain so that when the flap is pulled open by the spring, the bead chain assembly is just taut with the knob in the closest position to the hood face. Lifting up on the knob/chain and pulling a couple of inches until it stops, then setting the bead chain down in the slot secures the flap in the closed position.

MTPockets

Our old Class C had a solid cable attached to the flap with a knob on the inside. Just push to open and pull to close. Seems pretty simple, so why have flaps you can't close without a ladder? Dumb.

dalspot

We lost ours last year and in my search for a replacement, I ran across a louvered one. Thought about ordering, but wasn't sure I wanted it open to let the cold air in all the time in the winter, although I'm not sure how much cold air the flap blocks. Here is a picture:
range-hood-vents-1.jpg

Karen