Microwave Exhaust Fan

Theresau

Our BH had a range hood with an outside vent that we had to open.

The BC's microwave has a built in exhaust fan and there is an outside vent but it doesn't appear that it has to be opened manually. Does this open by itself when we turn on the fan?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Re: Microwave Exhuast Fan

Yes it will open itself only if you have already flipped the plastic tabs that hold it closed to the open position.

Theresau

That's what we're not seeing - tabs...

On the BH there were tabs at the bottom that we had to flip up (as a matter of fact we had to replace this once because we forgot to close it back up).

On the BC, there are no flaps at the bottom and it appears that it may open at the top rather than bottom????? That's why we wondered if this was a new design and that it now opens itself without having to flip up tabs....

Theresau

Ok - now I'm hearing that there are some form of tabs at the bottom but he can't open them..............about 1 inch wide each - he tried pulling them down and it didn't work - they are not the flip up type the BH had. Is there a magical way to open these?

murry135

A picture might help solve the problem any available?

Theresau

IMG_20130523_131407_219.jpg

Here it is - is this what we think it is? It's very narrow and yes I could see some form of tab (2) at the bottom inside. Picture doesn't help much really. Hoping someone else has this...

It's pretty whatever it is.

Joe's getting kind of embarrassed about this...:)

He's out there on the ladder again.
A picture might help solve the problem any available?

murry135

Sure is a pretty vent cover, a lot better than whats on our Landmark. We have two, twist tabs on left and right side of flap under vent cover. If it is different than that I can not help for you.

Theresau

Called Heartland Customer Service - they asked for a picture too. I guess there is a new vent cover for 2014. They will get back to me. We're thinking that it may open at the top rather than bottom and doesn't have tabs???? We've tried that - not much air appears to come through...

murry135

Wondering of it has a spring on the inside eliminating the need to latch and unlatch and forgetting to latch when travelling. Let us know what you find out.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

In the recent past, I have seen some built-in microwave ovens and range hoods that have a cable release inside the RV by the microwave that opens and closes the vent. I cannot remember the brand now.

Theresau

Thx Jim that's it. Looks like we push on it. We'll try it when we park. On our way to Shipshewana.

jbeletti

If you push on it to open and close it, I wonder if one could make a pole with a rubber end on it and use that to press on the cover from the ground? I don't want to get a ladder out to open/close this thing :)

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

If you push on it to open and close it, I wonder if one could make a pole with a rubber end on it and use that to press on the cover from the ground? I don't want to get a ladder out to open/close this thing :)

Maybe a pencil eraser on the end of the awning hook would work?

Theresau

Found further info. Opens by pushing up on 2 tabs. Problem is our tabs are caulked in. Thread re 2013 cedar creek that couldn't open as well indicated that it's difficult to open at first but easier over time.

Cover is uv resistant won't yellow and tested to 190 mph wind.

ParkIt

Hope you don't have to cut the caulking to get it to pop out but it may have to be done. After you can get it to release maybe an awning pole with thick foam pad will allow you to open it from the bottom and catch it on the top to close?
It looks nice but sounds like a bit of pain to deal with, kind of glad we have the old style stack with tabbed cap.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

So it appears us folks with the old standard patio awning have an advantage. An awning pole!:eek:

murry135

More than one use Ray. They really knew what they were doing back then. Unlike new vent and caulking it closed. One step forward two back, good old american engineering.

Theresau

Got the vent cover open. First removed caulk :) then pushed up on tabs with 2 screwdrivers (while on ladder). Works great. Have to figure out now how to do this without a ladder.