Mission Tires?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Here are a couple of pictures of the tires that went bad. Yes, I checked the tire pressures and they were always covered when in storage. I had all of them changed out. Yes even the spare that never hit the ground.

Taz...are your tires/wheels 15" or 16"s?

Brenrick

No kidding...I am suprised that Heartland has not addressed this issue myself. Since we are new owners, we will keep a eye on these tires since everyone else on this forum has had issues. This is just a shame that we would have to keep this in the back of our minds while out on the road enjoying what we call 'living la vita loca'. We are big time weekend warriors and surley do not want to deal with this kinda of issue after all the $$$$ that was spent on a upgrade, just as all of us have! Tires, come on now, this is the heart of what the rig rolls on! We keep ours in indoor storage and let me tell you, this comes at a premium price, well worth it from what I hear. We both work for the state of california and this furlought thing really sucks. I am a IT business analyst for the good old DMV and my husband works for EDD, imagine that for this really sucks. I just hope the Legislators here in Ca get it together and figure stuff out. This furlough stuff really cuts into my camping funds!!!! HaHaHa Not to mention having to buy new tires for a new rig! Come on now, that just does not seem right.

alkyspeed

I am a new member of the "China Bomb" syndrome. :mad:

On a trip back from Gatlinburg - Cherokee area I had a 15" Mission tire explode for no apparent reason. About 7K mileage on the tires.

Pressure checked AM leaving campground @72# . Making stops I check the tire temp with a hand held temp gun - about 108 deg.
No obvious bubbles, cuts, rubs or other bad looking spots on the tire. Tires are covered at home when parked, so that should not prove to be the problem.

Oh well -- I'll call Tredit tire and maybe some adjustment will help with the purchase of some 16" new rims and some "GOOD NON EXPLOSIVE" rubber.

No -- That is not a Black snake in the pics. Only full tread off of the casing that was wrapped around the axle hub.

Anybody else with Mission crap should be aware it is not IF but WHEN.

Attachments

• 100_1293.jpg
    100_1293.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1296.JPG
    100_1296.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1295.jpg
    100_1295.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 28

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I am a new member of the "China Bomb" syndrome. :mad:

On a trip back from Gatlinburg - Cherokee area I had a 15" Mission tire explode for no apparent reason. About 7K mileage on the tires.

Pressure checked AM leaving campground @72# . Making stops I check the tire temp with a hand held temp gun - about 108 deg.
No obvious bubbles, cuts, rubs or other bad looking spots on the tire. Tires are covered at home when parked, so that should not prove to be the problem.

Oh well -- I'll call Tredit tire and maybe some adjustment will help with the purchase of some 16" new rims and some "GOOD NON EXPLOSIVE" rubber.

No -- That is not a Black snake in the pics. Only full tread off of the casing that was wrapped around the axle hub.

Anybody else with Mission crap should be aware it is not IF but WHEN.

72 psi?......What was the max. pressure stated on the tire? Also do you remember the max. pressure for the wheel? (my factory wheels say 60 psi max.) My Mission tires say 65 psi max.

alkyspeed

The tire is marked Max single 2540 @ 65#. Also the rim is marked 2540 but the lbs is stamped “NA”. What is that???

I have had no trouble whatever at 72#. Member Loco runs the same tires (same 3795 unit) at that pressure and has so far had good luck with that pressure setting. I wish him well in the future.

I believe that the tires are just pure junk. And there lies the problem. Not inflation pressure, not owner neglect (in most cases), and not normal usage. If that were not so then the Mission tire explosions would be few rather than many.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The tire is marked Max single 2540 @ 65#. Also the rim is marked 2540 but the lbs is stamped “NA”. What is that???

I have had no trouble whatever at 72#. Member Loco runs the same tires (same 3795 unit) at that pressure and has so far had good luck with that pressure setting. I wish him well in the future.

I believe that the tires are just pure junk. And there lies the problem. Not inflation pressure, not owner neglect (in most cases), and not normal usage. If that were not so then the Mission tire explosions would be few rather than many.

Thanks for the info...my rims are stamped 60 psi max. I plan on up grading to 16 rims and better E tires. Looks like i can get a set (5ea 16" tires/wheels) for just under $1900 :mad:. We're leaving on our first major 3000mi trip this Friday so i'm hoping they will hold out.

khd995

Alkyspeed, Am I missing something? Didn't you write that you were inflating 65# max tires to 72# and then complaining that it isn't inflation pressure, owner neglect or normal usage that caused failure.

I am pretty sure that over inflating a tire could be considered improper inflation, owner neglect and not normal usage. I am also pretty sure that mission tires aren't the best, but you can't use them beyond there stated spec. and then complain that they aren't any good.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yea dude, whats up with that? If the max inflation is 65 PSI , what are you doing with 72? You also stated "I have had no trouble whatever at 72#". YES YOU DID!

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Many tire manufacturers will recommend max pressures over the sidewall limit if you are running at max load and higher speeds.

alkyspeed

Not into this for a debate. Only reporting a serious problem we all now have or will have with the Chinese quality parts we paid good money for.
After approximately 40 yrs. Dealing with trucks, trailers and heavy equipment my experience with tire pressures have not been over inflation but under inflation.

Tire states maximum load not pressure.
Take my opinion for what it’s worth – or not.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I had 16" aluminum rims with Mission Tires that max the PSI at 80 lbs. After 13,000 miles, I decided since the inside of my rims stated G and 3750 lbs. I wouldn't take the chance of blowing them on our 51 day summer trip, especially since I had the Mission Tires. 2 huge bennies switching to G Goodyears 614's. The first was that they are 14 ply, running at max of 110 lbs, and the ride was extremely better. My legs quit shaking bouncing on smooth surfaces even with the Mor/Hyde pin cushion, and my back pain subsided immensely, and secondly I felt much safer knowing I had the best American tires for my rig, with steel valve stems so I could finally use the pressure pro sensors. Well the Goodyear dealer put on hi pressure steel stems, but the ones with rubber at the base, grr..... and not the nutted steel stems that don't bend. Make sure you get the nutted valve stems, as now I need to have them restemmed and rebalanced and remounted as I didn't want to take the chance of tearing that rubber base. There is no way I am going to go way out of my way on the way home to stop in Fresno at the Goodyear dealers. So I plan to have them send them to me, and enough money to replace them at a local Goodyear dealer. These dudes will do anything to save money, and I plan to raise holy heck.
Bottom line is G rated beat the E rated by a million per cent. Rides like butter and after 18 days on the road I can still stand up straight. $1346 for 5 tires, and no orthorpedic doctors appts. LOL

Netem

At the ralley in Goshen I went and listened to the guys from Tredit Tire and they said they have quit using Mission Tires because of all the problems so somebody knew something. They are now using Goodyear and a tire called Tow Max ( China ). The guy speaking said Goodyear is supposed to be bringing their tires back to USA. The problem with the Sundances is tire size,(235-80-16) the goodyear G614's are too big (Not enough room between the tires)and would be too stiff for the weight of the trailer so not many choices right now for replacements.

Loco

alkyspeed Tire failure was not from over pressure. I also run 72 PSI in my tires with over 10k miles on them. I talked to the manufacture of another brand trailer tire (The name will remain unsaid in public) and they advised you CAN go up 10 psi over the MAX rating. But no more than 10 PSI COLD. So I tried running 72 PSI and it has been good. But now my tires are over three years old. I am very careful about the way I drive also. I try to never hit anything with my trailer tires, I try not to make really tight turns (tri axle on our rig),I keep my speed down most of the time to 70mph or lower,I spent years driving tractor trailers and fire trucks so I know how to drive well. Good driving helps alot. We are getting ready to leave on a 4000 mile trip out west to Vegas and back to GA. So I have been replacing all 6 tires with new. I am staying with 15 inch for now. But I am using MAXIS tires this time. I ran them on our last trailer with very good luck! ALL of the trailer tires are manufactured in China from what I have been told and read. Even the top Brands have them made over sea. So who really knows for sure. It could be just the road condistions in differant areas of the country. Our roads down south are very good. Up north they are bad. Out west they can be both good and bad. Our trailer spends more time on good roads than bad ones. But now our tires are showing dry rot on the side walls. Time for new for sure! Also I see folks putting truck tires on their rigs. No WAY NO HOW will I do that. They are not made for trailers. But anyway that is for another day. I will let folks know how our new Maxis tires do over the 4000 miles around trip out west. If we get to go.

Taz Devil

Taz...are your tires/wheels 15" or 16"s?

Sorry I haven't been on that much, but to answer your question, my tires were 16's. When ever the trailer was in storage the tires were covered. Before every trip the air pressure was checked and visually inspected. When we would stop for breaks, I would look at the tires and check them. Beleive me when we got home from our trip from Ft Walton Beach, I was in shock to discover the large chunk missing from the tire. If it wasn't for the way the tire was sitting, who knows when I would have really discovered the damage. I understand trying to save money, but is it going to take somebody getting seriously injured or killed before they deciced not to put these tires on any of theses trailers.

alkyspeed

Well -- I went and bought Sendel 16" 80# wheels and Firestone Transforce HT 16" tires for the Cyclone. Sent the Chinese junk down the road to support landscape equipment and lawnmowers, not people. Hopefully no more weird tire explosions.

It is obvious how much heavier duty they are than ST tires. The sidewalls are nearly twice as thick and they weigh almost twice as much. VERY heavy duty. On my pull last week, they seem much more solid and stable than the Chinese junk.
I just wanted to throw this out there to those looking for another alternative in the ST junk tire debacle, Mission or not.
I know there are some on this forum who do not recommend using LT tires on trailers. I do respect their opinions, and I have read some literature that frequently accompanies their posts. However, for me, the proof is in the actual tire. When I can physically look at a tire that has a commercial rating and a sidewall that is heavy, and then pick up my old ST tire that is flimsy junk, I will go with the heavier tire, regardless of the manufacturer telling me the ST tires have stronger sidewalls. It simply does not add up. So, bottom line - this was my decision. I will try to post positives and negatives as this all shakes out, but my first impression is that it was a good move. Trailer feels great going down the road. For anyone else considering the move, I would recommend doing your own homework to make sure you are making an informed decision.

Attachments

• 16 Transforce.JPG
    16 Transforce.JPG
    460.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Firesrtone 235.JPG
    Firesrtone 235.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 237

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I thought all three tires were the same size on the Cyclone. Am I seeing right that one of the tires is smaller? If so did it come that way or is this something you did? Just curious...