Mission Tires?

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Could it be that he is showing the difference in tire size? Didn't earlier Cyclones come with 15" 6 lug wheels". My Razor has 16" eight lug wheels.

alkyspeed

One picture shows the difference between the 15" Mission tire and the new installed 16" tires. The other picture shows all 16" tires installed.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Well -- I went and bought Sendel 16" 80# wheels and Firestone Transforce HT 16" tires for the Cyclone. Sent the Chinese junk down the road to support landscape equipment and lawnmowers, not people. Hopefully no more weird tire explosions.

It is obvious how much heavier duty they are than ST tires. The sidewalls are nearly twice as thick and they weigh almost twice as much. VERY heavy duty. On my pull last week, they seem much more solid and stable than the Chinese junk.
I just wanted to throw this out there to those looking for another alternative in the ST junk tire debacle, Mission or not.
I know there are some on this forum who do not recommend using LT tires on trailers. I do respect their opinions, and I have read some literature that frequently accompanies their posts. However, for me, the proof is in the actual tire. When I can physically look at a tire that has a commercial rating and a sidewall that is heavy, and then pick up my old ST tire that is flimsy junk, I will go with the heavier tire, regardless of the manufacturer telling me the ST tires have stronger sidewalls. It simply does not add up. So, bottom line - this was my decision. I will try to post positives and negatives as this all shakes out, but my first impression is that it was a good move. Trailer feels great going down the road. For anyone else considering the move, I would recommend doing your own homework to make sure you are making an informed decision.

Correct me if i am wrong but arn't the Firestone Transforce HT made in China? Look on the tire if you get a chance. I looked in person at both HT and ST Maxxis tires before i bought the ST's. The ST's have a 400lb higher load rating and one more ply on the sidewalls. The ST's seemed heaver but the HT's had 1/16" more thread depth.

alkyspeed

3042 lbs. @ 80# Made in USA.

I have used many sets of Firestone Steeltex on trucks in the past and had great luck with them. They are no longer made and the replacement is the Transforce HT. They should perform as well.

alkyspeed

Traveling without Worry.

Well -- I went and bought Sendel 16" 80# wheels and Firestone Transforce HT 16" tires for the Cyclone. Sent the Chinese junk down the road to support landscape equipment and lawnmowers, not people. Hopefully no more weird tire explosions.

It is obvious how much heavier duty they are than ST tires. The sidewalls are nearly twice as thick and they weigh almost twice as much. VERY heavy duty. On my pull last week, they seem much more solid and stable than the Chinese junk.
I just wanted to throw this out there to those looking for another alternative in the ST junk tire debacle, Mission or not.
I know there are some on this forum who do not recommend using LT tires on trailers. I do respect their opinions, and I have read some literature that frequently accompanies their posts. However, for me, the proof is in the actual tire. When I can physically look at a tire that has a commercial rating and a sidewall that is heavy, and then pick up my old ST tire that is flimsy junk, I will go with the heavier tire, regardless of the manufacturer telling me the ST tires have stronger sidewalls. It simply does not add up. So, bottom line - this was my decision. I will try to post positives and negatives as this all shakes out, but my first impression is that it was a good move. Trailer feels great going down the road. For anyone else considering the move, I would recommend doing your own homework to make sure you are making an informed decision.

So far so good with the 16" LT tire change on the Cyclone. A short Labor Day trip (210 miles) without any tire surprises. Makes me happy to travel the road without constant worries and sweats about tire explosions or tread separation. :)