Model differences

Jonah

Jim / anyone

is there an existing discussion on the differences between Bighorn and Landmark? If so can you insert a link? Or if someone has already created a spreadsheet with differences, can you post or send by pm?

Not sure if this helps but we are between the front bath Bighorn and the Ashland and weighing the value between the two. Really like the Arlington also but not sure our budget will stretch that far.

Thanks.

jbeletti

Hi Jonah,

Begin by downloading and comparing the MSRP sheets for LM and BH. Links below.
- Bighorn MSRP
- Landmark MSRP

You mentioned the BH Front Bath (all-in-one) and then the LM Ashland, which is a mid/split bath. The LM Front Bath is the Newport if one wanted to compare a similar LM floor plan with a BH Front Bath. But I'm guessing you know this.

I have a soft-spot for the Ashland as that's what I have. Pretty sure we don't make a split-bath like the Ashland in a Bighorn floor plan.

I suggest that you decide with much certainty, the floor plan that works for you, then start comparing the floor plan in our different brands to determine trim levels, standards and options.

In terms of a comparison between LM and BH... Both really nice brands, both really well done. LM does come with some standard items that may be options with BH but it also comes with some exclusive items. Sorry that I don't have a comparison list. I think the MSRPs as well as our downloadable literature will be a big help in comparing.
- Landmark Literature (scroll to bottom of this page for the download links)
- Bighorn Literature (scroll to bottom of this page for the download links)

macjj

The first difference is the Landmark series is "full Time" vs. "Part Time". The Landmark has a 12" frame v. 10" frame, more insulation, and upgraded amenities. And it costs more. I bought the Bighorn because it sits 50% of the time, and I did not anticipate using it in cold weather. Also at the time I was limited to 35ft, and I did not wish to buy a new truck to accommodate the extra weight anticipated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Actually the Bighorn is warranted for full time use.
The frame size has nothing to do with Landmark or Bighorn. It is determined by model weight and since Landmark does not offer a lighter weight trailer the frames are 12". Bighorns in heavier models all have 12" frames. 12" frame for16,000 pound GVWR vs the 10" inch 14,000 pound GVWR.

Peace
Dave

buddyboy

Big Horns work well for full-time use. We know that for a fact. We ordered ours so we could get precisely what we wanted. Weed down your "would be nice to have" to your "must have" list. That should be made easier with the lists Jim provided. Good luck and enjoy.

DougS

Doug S
Some other differences that come to mind are:
LM comes with residential refrigerator and electric stovetop
BH comes with propane refrigerator and stove and oven. Optional residential refrig

LM comes with convection oven
BH convection oven an option

LM walls come out independently with a switch at control center
BH hydro walls come out together, valves in front storage to have them come out independently

LM has some nice extra wood trim like around the windows
BH slightly less trim, cloth like side curtains around windows

BH may have stopped offering MCD day/night shades only night, unknown if LM has discontinued day/night shades

LM I believe comes with Goodyear tires and larger tires
BH a less expensive tire, G rated with fair write ups, Goodyear options

LM power cord reel standard
BH power cord reel optional most models

LM may have larger holding and fresh water tanks
BH tanks are slightly smaller

Just a few big differences that come to mind, I am sure others have more and if I am wrong on anything, I probably will be corrected.

MTPockets

We full time in our Big Horn now for 3 1/2 yrs. In Sept 2011, there wasn't a Landmark In the size/length we wanted, so ordered the Big Horn with at the time, some off-sheet upgrades avail only on Landmark. We've also scheduled the MorRyde IS to be installed when we go to Indiana next spring.. My opinion would be to get the floor plan and size you most like and you won't regret it later. My biggest mistake was focusing too much on the 5th wheel and not enough on the tow vehicle by starting out with a SRW truck.. Not enough payload capacity. After first year, got the right DRW truck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
They both are very nice rigs. My thought's are this. If you option a BH close to a LM. They are close to the same cost. All LM's have a 18K GWR...so you will need a 350-3500 DRW truck. Nothing less. Most larger BH's have GVW of 16500#. I personally would not pull any of the bigger coach's with any thing less than the TV's mentioned above. The coach you buy will be a personal choice. I like the LM 365 Newport.

Last edited:

macjj

My BH is a 2012 with a 10 in frame. When I visited the factory in 2013 I asked about the amount of insulation. I was informed at that time the LM was for FT and therefore had the larger frame and more insulation. We froze in the Spring of 2013, and was told the BH (maybe this particular model) was not designed for FT, and did not have the upgrades mentioned in this thread. That may have changed, have not looked at the recent models. Agree the 10" frame is rated at 14k, and the 12" frame is 16k, however as I stated, I did not wish to purchase a new vehicle at that time, and this one has served me well

Bones

My BH is a 2012 with a 10 in frame. When I visited the factory in 2013 I asked about the amount of insulation. I was informed at that time the LM was for FT and therefore had the larger frame and more insulation. We froze in the Spring of 2013, and was told the BH (maybe this particular model) was not designed for FT, and did not have the upgrades mentioned in this thread. That may have changed, have not looked at the recent models. Agree the 10" frame is rated at 14k, and the 12" frame is 16k, however as I stated, I did not wish to purchase a new vehicle at that time, and this one has served me well

My gateway has a 12 inch frame

Jonah

Spent the day looking at Bighorn and Landmark. Wife ruled out the front bath Bighorn almost immediately. Then we saw the new 3760el. Very nice and open layout and accessibility to almost everything when closed. We both really liked it and decided it should be on our short list - until - I remembered to take a pic of the weight sticker and found its CCC is only @2200 lbs. That's no where near enough for us as full timers. We were very dismayed. But, it's always a good thing to narrow the field, so to speak. That's how we look at it anyway.

Then in we spent a nice quiet 30-45 minutes going over the Landmark Ashland. After opening all the doors (DW always has to check every cabinet) and measuring storage (DH responsibility, lol) we just sat down and spent a few minutes doing - nothing. After about 10-15 minutes of silence my wife looked at me and said, "if we are getting a fiver, this is it"! So, I took a pic of the weight sticker and found the CCC is @2800. Well to be honest, I have no idea if that is going to be enough, but the DW said, "we are going to the storage unit and we are going to weigh everything". (I guess she must really like the fiver to go to that much effort). So our next few days are going to be fairly busy.

At at least we are getting closer. Please pray our house sells quickly.
Thanks

Bones

Spent the day looking at Bighorn and Landmark. Wife ruled out the front bath Bighorn almost immediately. Then we saw the new 3760el. Very nice and open layout and accessibility to almost everything when closed. We both really liked it and decided it should be on our short list - until - I remembered to take a pic of the weight sticker and found its CCC is only @2200 lbs. That's no where near enough for us as full timers. We were very dismayed. But, it's always a good thing to narrow the field, so to speak. That's how we look at it anyway.

Then in we spent a nice quiet 30-45 minutes going over the Landmark Ashland. After opening all the doors (DW always has to check every cabinet) and measuring storage (DH responsibility, lol) we just sat down and spent a few minutes doing - nothing. After about 10-15 minutes of silence my wife looked at me and said, "if we are getting a fiver, this is it"! So, I took a pic of the weight sticker and found the CCC is @2800. Well to be honest, I have no idea if that is going to be enough, but the DW said, "we are going to the storage unit and we are going to weigh everything". (I guess she must really like the fiver to go to that much effort). So our next few days are going to be fairly busy.

Thanks
I wouldn't let that sway your decision too bad. You can always get lighter stuff.

jbeletti

Thanks

We love the lower level storage of the Ashland. And while the bedroom doesn't have as much storage as others I've had, the front closet goes wall to wall as the W/D is downstairs.

You may find 2800# of CCC is enough for full-timing. I've heard numbers that are between 1000 and 1500 pounds per person.

MTPockets

FYI, we are full time and with 2600 lbs of "stuff".. Admittedly too, more stuff than necessary, and, all my tools are in the truck. We upgraded the axles and tires when we ordered our Big Horn for added capacity, although that doesn't change the build sticker weight limits, it did add peace of mind and after 3 1/2 years no issues.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a 2015 Ashland and absolutely love it. We don't full-time yet, but we have spent about 50 nights in it since February. Our first night was on the dealers lot and the temp got down to 2 degrees and we were comfortable. The hottest day was over 100. Believe me 1 A/C in a rig this size does nothing, but 3 will down right make it comfortable. The power management system on the LM 365 is pretty impressive as well on those occasions when you only have a 30 amp service. The cabinets and woodwork are nicer than what we have in our home. Plenty of storage. After 10 months, I have just about found where Janet has everything stored. I really love the Goodyear tires on this rig. I have much less stress towing than I did with my prior rig. Heartland customer service has been awesome handling the handful of warranty issues we have encountered. All of which I have been able to fix.
Keep in mind these are HEAVY coaches. I would not consider pulling this with anything less than a 350/3500 diesel dually.

Last edited:

Jonah

Thought I'd give you all an update. After several days of weighing our "stuff", even if we add a washer dryer, we have a buffer of @800-1000 lbs!! I was sure we would have been close if not over our limit, but we are not. We have not accounted for food, water etc but those are adjustable, somewhat. I'm hoping there is some flexibility to add some solar and even upgrade the batteries and still be good. And we will be adding the morryde IS, in time. So, we are very hopeful and a little excited.
Now we just need the house sold, and we are outta here!!