Modified Bed Rails on Pickup

SilverRhino

Back in December I joined the "club" of those that have "modified" their tow vehicles by having their 5th wheel come unhitched!

Backed into the pin box.....arm on Drawtite 16k hitch came out and back in......felt a nice thump letting me know that the kingpin was firmly in the fifth wheel. Raised the front jacks about an inch off the blocks and tried to pull forward with the trailer brakes locked and the Roto Choks still between the tires.....everything still fine.

Pulled out of our site making a 90 degree turn and as soon as I straightened up.....the trailer slid out of the hitch and landed on the bed rails. Although the kingpin had been securely captured in the jaws.....I forgot to lower the small latch that keeps the latching arm from moving, and the jaws opened up and the trailer came unhitched!

Took the truck into a local body shop and they said no problem...we will get you a tailgate and a take-off box and get it all fixed up. After a month of looking for a suitable box to replace mine they came up empty handed. The only option they came up with was to order the panels from Dodge and "build" a new box! I was very worried about that option so I decided to cash settle with the insurance company and am now waiting for my new hauler bed that is being fabricated.

I have many thousands of miles under my backside towing about everything you can think of...........but I screwed up!! I have since painted the area behind the latch on my hitch a very bright color so that it will help remind me to drop the latch and put the padlock through it. I also have a photo of the damaged truck on my GPS to jog my memory. Moral of the story.....check....double check.....and don't ever say "never"!!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Did the same thing............

Attachments

• IMAG0718.jpg
    IMAG0718.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0720.jpg
    IMAG0720.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 135

SilverRhino

I looked at those pins, but found a great deal on a new BedSaver, so I spent the extra $30 and have installed "insurance" that doesn't require me to remember another step.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bedsavers must have come down a lot. I thought they were going for close to $250. Considered it at one time, but didn't want to have a semi-permanent obstruction in the bed. I tend to remove the hitch to haul stuff.

DougS

Doug S
Another vote for 5th Wheel Latch Kit. Hope it works, because I don't plan on testing it. Simple 20 minute install, and a lot of peace of mind.

SilverRhino

Bedsavers must have come down a lot. I thought they were going for close to $250. Considered it at one time, but didn't want to have a semi-permanent obstruction in the bed. I tend to remove the hitch to haul stuff.

They are still expensive......Found one that a shop had ordered and the fellow never came for it. They wanted to get rid of it so at $75, new in the box, I couldn't pass it up. I pull my hitch out in two pieces so I don't see it as an issue for removal. With the new bed.....the hitch will be out when not in use.....It will just look better without it, so not an issue for being in the way.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
They are still expensive......Found one that a shop had ordered and the fellow never came for it. They wanted to get rid of it so at $75, new in the box, I couldn't pass it up. I pull my hitch out in two pieces so I don't see it as an issue for removal. With the new bed.....the hitch will be out when not in use.....It will just look better without it, so not an issue for being in the way.

For that price, I don't blame you.

oscar

In my line of business, commercial aviation, complacency is one of the leading killers. Just like you, we've all done it a bazillion times until one day we forget one little detail and that starts a chain of events that eventually leads to a smoking hole. Perfectly good equipment, qualified and experienced operators and still, shid happened.

Our number one weapon in this fight is standardization in the form of check lists. There is something to be said for having a laminated card that has several sections, including "hooking up" and has the little latch on there as an item, with the response being "checked".....food for thought.