Mold in the refrigerator

Georgia_Biker

We haven't had our Big Horn Model 3610RE very long and are enjoying it very much. We have noticed that a couple weeks after a trip and the RV is sitting idle with nothing plugged in mold developes in the refrigerator. It cleans up quickly with some Clorox cleanup but, is this normal? What can we do to prevent it? Thanks

evolvingpowercat

If its a Dometic 8 cubic foot refrigerator - freezer with hard wood door inserts it should have a travel latch - you might check your documents bag and skim the refrigerator manual to see where it is and how it works.

Georgia_Biker

My Wife (of course being smarter than me) - did a Google about the mold and a website recommended when we come in from camping to clean and wipe out the fridge thoroughly and leave the doors open until everything is completely dry (couple days). Then you could close it up and include an open box of Baking Soda or waded up black and white newspapers. I also like the idea of leaving the doors slightly open - thanks to all!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the latch clips aren't in your owner's packet, they can be found online or at most RV parts stores for a few bucks. I leave mine open with the clips while in storage.

wdk450

I always roll up a kitchen towel and insert it across the door divide between the two doors in my side-by-side refrigerator, and secure the door handles together with a mini bungee cord, when shutting down the refrigerator after a trip. This keeps the doors open enough for ventilation.

Crumgater

We do something similar to Bill - only since we don't have the fancy 4-door fridge :)D), we use bungees to hold the doors all the way open up against the side of the slide (which is retracted into the rig). We had the door clip, like Rick posted the link to, and it worked great with our smaller Norcold unit, but it won't "stick" in the Dometic fridge. The bungees work well, though.
-Tina

Rgill

Try placeing newspapers on the shelves and bottom and in freezer. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. Hang a towel over the doors to keep them from completely closeing.
Ray