Money down on Bighorn 2017 3575el

SNOKING

Re: New Bighorn 2017 3575el

That's an interesting response. The current digital thermostats run off 5V or 12V DC, not 120V AC. It's not obvious to me how they would even be aware of a drop in the 120V AC power.

I asked her that question. We will see what she says. Chris

SNOKING

Another reply for Dometic.

Hello Chris,

You are correct the thermostat does run off of 12 volt DC. There is an RJ11 cable that uses 3 of the4 wires to communicate directly with the board. The logic on the board monitors once the thermostat is put in the cool position and times approximately 2 mins, and then sends power to the relay on the board to allow power to the compressor.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation and hope all of your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time to order parts or for further assistance.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Center
Dometic Corporation
800-544-4881

So it sounds like the logic on start up is in the brain of the AC unit, not the stat like Holly indicated.

Chris

danemayer

Others have in the past asserted that the A/C units produced over the past few years (4?, 5?, 6?, ??) are designed to have a delayed startup if they sense high pressure in the lines, indicating a recent abrupt shutdown. I have no idea if this is true in general for A/C units, or if it's true for our Dometic units.

As for the control board waiting 2 minutes after the thermostat calls for cooling, I'm sure that's not how mine operates when I first turn on the A/C. After a power drop at the pedestal, our EMS waits 2 minutes 15 seconds before applying power. The A/C unit starts immediately when power is restored.

You could test your A/C unit. Flip the 50 amp breakers inside your main circuit breaker panel, wait fifteen seconds, then turn them back on. See how long it takes before the compressor restarts. That should simulate what would happen if you have the EMS set for a 15 second startup delay.

SNOKING

Others have in the past asserted that the A/C units produced over the past few years (4?, 5?, 6?, ??) are designed to have a delayed startup if they sense high pressure in the lines, indicating a recent abrupt shutdown. I have no idea if this is true in general for A/C units, or if it's true for our Dometic units.

As for the control board waiting 2 minutes after the thermostat calls for cooling, I'm sure that's not how mine operates when I first turn on the A/C. After a power drop at the pedestal, our EMS waits 2 minutes 15 seconds before applying power. The A/C unit starts immediately when power is restored.

You could test your A/C unit. Flip the 50 amp breakers inside your main circuit breaker panel, wait fifteen seconds, then turn them back on. See how long it takes before the compressor restarts. That should simulate what would happen if you have the EMS set for a 15 second startup delay.

I already know that there is so delay when I turn on the AC, I just have not timed it yet. Will check it out next time I am at the trailer. It is a hour away at a Membership RV Park for the summer. I will charge the jumper in the surge protector if needed. Chris

SNOKING

Worked on the hide-a-bed today. Move the floor brackets forward 2 or 3".

Then moved the three large silver screws back about an inch.

Result.

20 minute project. Much better!

Chris

Alan_B

Got some weights yesterday at a closed Oregon DOT. Light load in the trailer (just the stuff we could get in the bed boxes, cooler and camp chairs on sides on hitch and back seat full)

F 4900
D 6250
T 11450
GW 22600

So trailer was around 14k. Trucks RGAWR is 7k, so we are in good shape...

Thanks for posting your weights. However I am not sure I understand, do you mean:

4,900 Front trailer wheels
6,250 Rear trailer wheels
11,450 Truck while hitched (truck plus pin weight)
---------
22,600 Total trailer & truck

14,000 Approximate total trailer
8,600 Approximate truck
--------
22,600 Total trailer and truck

That would put the pin weight at approx. 2,850.

Thanks....

SNOKING

Thanks for posting your weights. However I am not sure I understand, do you mean: .

NO

4,900 Front axle of truck
6,250 Rear axle of truck
11,150 Sub total for Truck while hitched (truck plus pin weight)
---------

11,450 Trailer axles
22,600 Total trailer & truck

I did not have a rear axle ready to tow weight with the lighter load in the truck to be able to compute the pin weight. I would guess it at 3500, as it was 3750 loaded to go to Arizona last fall. So if it was 3500 then pin weight would be around 2750, 315 pounds more that dry advertised pin weight. Chris

Alan_B

Chris thanks for the quick reply and clarification of the weights.

We are looking at three different Bighorn models, the 3270RS, 3570RS and 3575EL. The extra room in the 35's over the 3270 would be great. However I want to stick with a SRW truck and am worried about their weights. Seeing your actual weights is helpful.

SNOKING

Chris thanks for the quick reply and clarification of the weights.

We are looking at three different Bighorn models, the 3270RS, 3570RS and 3575EL. The extra room in the 35's over the 3270 would be great. However I want to stick with a SRW truck and am worried about their weights. Seeing your actual weights is helpful.

We started out wanting a 3270RS, and people came to our snowbird park last winter with one. They pointed out the smaller shower to my wife. So I started looking for the next size up with the rectangular shower which was the 3570RS which has been discontinued. Then we looked at a 3575el with the butler pantry corner top and we were dead meat and had to have that model. At 39'4" it is longer than we wanted! I think that with careful loading we will be fine with our truck that has a 7,000 pound RGAWR. We have a short box with a Demco 6099 picture frame and a B&W RVK3270 manual sliding hitch. That combo weighs in at 270 lbs. With a long box truck some weight could be trimmed off the hitch.

There is also the Andersen hitch that many like that we very light, however not my cup of tea.

So if you have one of the current 350/3500 SRW trucks it is doable. We picked Bighorn because on lower dry pin weight vs many SOB trailers.

Turns out that we may live in the Bighorn for a part of the year or maybe year round, as someone wants to buy are home. DW wants to purchase a park model in Arizona, so we would travel with the trailer fall and spring, and stay in our sunbird park in Washington for the summers in it. Lots of balls in the air right now! However the BH3575el is very livable and we really like it despite some AC issues that we are working through. Being able to access the refrigerator with the slides in was high on our list and the 18 cu ft RV one meets that requirement. Have most of the other things in the butler pantry area, plates, silverware, etc.

I also liked the fact that Heartland installs good Sailun S637 tires OEM now.

Chris

DavidW

We were also very disappointed as we expected our 2016 to have the day/night shades - our salesman has not been helpful at all and their service dept has
advised they will get us a price but we need to send in all the measurements - did you have to pay for yours and were they very expensive?

Did you have to pay for them? were they very expensive - not getting much help from our dealer. Perhaps you could e-mail me some info as I am having a bit of a problem getting onto the workings of this site - weisenb60@gmail.com thanks

SNOKING

Sorry David, just got back to this thread to post info on printer install.

We bought a new wireless printer today. It is an Epson WF-2750 all in one and fits on the top shelf in the washer/dry closet. It was easy to set up as a wireless printer. Chris