Montana Route 1

MCTalley

Hey folks. We would love to visit historic Philipsburg, Montana next summer on our way through to or from the PNW. A family I follow on Instagram did the whole Route 1 but admittedly are traveling in a smaller Airstream. They indicated the whole route was doable for them but weren't sure about someone with a dually and 42' fifth wheel.

Anyone else been on this route through Anaconda, past Georgetown Lake, up through Philipsburg and ending up at I-90 again in Drummond? Preferably with a larger rig.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We've done it south from I90 through to Anaconda with out issue. Have to pull up and over at Georgetown Lake but hey you're in the Rockies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

We've done it south from I90 through to Anaconda with out issue. Have to pull up and over at Georgetown Lake but hey you're in the Rockies!!

Cool. We just left the Rockies today, so I know what you mean. Climbs and descents don't bother me. Tight switchbacks do. The wife isn't too fond of steep dropoffs without guardrails, but I assume that's not a problem here either.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well as I recall since we went the opposite way than you might, the grade out of Anaconda up to the lake is long but somewhat gradual however the north side is steeper until you make it down into the valley. The north side is steeper and a bit twisted and had some nice vistas because the lake/reservoir drains down that side through a gorge. Those don't bother either of us. Don't recall guide rails or any lack thereof. Again as I recall the DW should be riding on the uphill side of the highway NB. Philipsburg lies just north of the mountain range and it's all valley floor to I90 from there. BTW when we went to Philipsburg/Anaconda we went through snow showers up over the pass first week of May last year. There was still ice on the reservoir !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk