Montreal to KeyWest: our shakedown cruise!

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
We are first-timers. We arrived yesterday at the Bluewater Key RV Resort (what a place!) after 2278 miles and 9 stopovers (including one week familiarizing ourselves with Miss Biggy) along the route. Kermit the Ford averaged 12.7mpg along the route that took us through NY, PA, VA, NC, GA and the FL Gulf coast. So far we found and experienced very few glitches with the BH 3585. The most annoying being the remote door lock (to be expected?), a leak in the sidewalk-side slide (easily fixed with caulking) and an intermittent wiring fault in the braking system (will investigate during this week's stopover). All items that our dealer will promptly fix whenever we get back home.
Our key findings so far are: 1) We love the lifestyle 2) We love our Big Horn 3) The F-350 is perfectly suited to the task. Note that the stated mpg was achieved on a route that took us across many mountain routes from NY to NC through VA and NC) 4) Owning an RV is not for the hands off type. From checking on tires and lug nuts to fixing small stuff to looking after brakes and suspension.... to cooking and looking after DW!

Next week we will start making our way back along the East coast. Our main stopovers will be around St. Augustine, Charleston, Virginia Beach and DC. Suggestions for campgrounds are welcome!

jbeletti

What fun Robert and Louise!

Say, I wouldn't wait on the intermittent brake wiring fault. Consider calling Dexter today. Their number is on the portal on the left. Ask them what you should read for resistance on the 7-wire plug and what wires to read it on. This will tell you if you have a magnet that is defective (I think). If you feel the intermittent connection is in the truck, then a quick stop to your Ford dealer can confirm and fix that.

SouthCo is the manufacturer of the keyless entry system, if yours is the type with the keypad next to the door. Their number is also on the Portal on the left side. Give them a quick call. I understand Mike Faye there is very attentive to customer needs.

Have fun and consider joining in on some Heartland rallies. Click the Events link at the top of any forum page. Also, on the Portal, there is a Google Maps version of the events so you can see from a state/province perspective, where events will be or have been already this year.

Jim

Rrloren

This past Feb. we stayed in St Augustine a couple nites on our way to the Keys and while we have been in the area many times at different campgrounds this year we tried the North Beach Camp Resort at Vilano Beach which is a short ride into St Augustine. Nice place and there are 2 good restaurants walking distance, The Reef across the street and Aunt Kates at the back of the campground, also good.
Enjoy the area , it's an interesting spot.
That's the only first hand help I can provide.

SGeohagan

We bought a Big Horn in April and had problems with the keyless entry. After several calls I talked to a Lippert rep and was directed to their website: www.lci1.com. After opening home page looked under support and found Lip sheets and clicked. There's alot of info there. #0182 is Southco keyless entry. My problem was the battery. It's simple to pull the keypad off, unscrew the back and replace the battery. I actually got the procedure from other owners by reading the Heartland forum, but there is good info out at Lippert's website for future reference. Hope this helps.

Oak Plantation just south of Charleston was convenient when we visited a couple of years ago.

Admin Edit:
Link to all LIP Sheets
Link to LIP Sheet 0182
LIP Sheet 0182 added to Heartland Owners Manuals - Exterior - Doors - Lippert and SouthCo sections

Last edited by a moderator:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow what a shakedown cruise. At that distance I would think it was shook pretty good. Glad to hear everything was pretty much good to go. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Geodude

That's outstanding fuel mileage. We did the trip from Ottawa to Florida at Christmas, towing a 6,200 lb. 32' travel trailer and averaging 68 MPH. We got 11.5 MPG on that trip. With the 5er we are getting 10.5 to 11 at 62 MPH, and the 5er weighs twice what the TT did. Still, I was hoping the diesel would deliver the kind of mileage you're getting.

mlburst1

Robert,

Glad to hear your "shakedown" is going well.

Our favorite campground in Virginia Beach is Holiday Trav-L-Park - http://www.campingvb.com/ - when you make reservations, request a "Super Site" - you will be amazed.

If you are still having problems with the Bighorn when you are there, call Chesapeake RV Solutions at 866-432-0222 - close by and hands down the best Heartland dealer in the area!

Drive safely,

Mike