MORryde IS rubber "spring" broken

Garypowell

On the road last Wednesday I discovered that my off door side rubber spring on the MORryde IS had separated from its metal bonding piece. We slowly continued the trip another 200 miles to our summer site....just traveled a little slower and arrived OK.

The warranty process has been started. Part should be shipped next week. But since over 2 years old....the labor is on me.

I was told that, "someone who knows what they are doing could change out this part in 1/2 hour, and someone who has not done it before.....might take an hour". I fall into the latter category. I do believe this estimate was after the wheel was removed.

I have searched the web for video of this being done and have found none. If any of you know a link....send it to me.

If you have done this procedure can you respond back and tell me if it was indeed this easy....and any tips would be helpful.

I have already spoken to a mobile tire place that will come out and remove the wheel for me (it is too heavy for me) and they even said they would replace the part if it was as easy as it was described to me.

So my main job will be supervising.....but want to know the timing and tricks if there are any.

Thanks in advance.

RoadJunkie

Gary, what parts are they sending you? If they are sending bushings for the leaf spring eyelets then the old ones will have to be removed and replaced. Bushing replacement is not required, but closely inspect the "plastic" bushing to ensure they are in good shape. The job is really pretty basic, especially if you have the level up system to raise the trailer. You will need to remove the bolts on the suspension linkage plates as they connect to the leaf spring eyelets (one on each side), and then remove the bolt that attaches the suspension to the frame. You will have to loosen/remove the bolts on the suspension linkage plates, as well, in order to remove the old suspension. If they are not sending new linkage plates you will have to remove the bolts in order to reinstall them on the new unit. Finally, you just need to reassemble and torque to spec. Realigning the leaf spring eyelets to the linkage plates may be the part that requires the most finesse.

And, Gary, be sure you remove the nuts from inside of the frame because the bolts have a knurled section that digs into the linkage plates to keep them from turning. If you loosen them from the outside you will damage that section of the bolt. Hopefully they are sending new bolts anyway.

Garypowell

Road,

there red are no leaf springs. The whole wheel assembly is held to the framework they install by this 9” by 9” hunk of rubber that is trapped between two pieces of steel. I try and attach some pictures.

If if they make it on one you can see the crack. On the other the pivot arm up against the frame.

Attachments

• C8736922-7D20-43D8-BC04-C8EFD8845319.jpg
    C8736922-7D20-43D8-BC04-C8EFD8845319.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 106
  • A7C1FCDC-BB8E-4453-AF58-3AD8702A9AB6.jpg
    A7C1FCDC-BB8E-4453-AF58-3AD8702A9AB6.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 111

jnbhobe

Gary, It's not an easy change, The short bolts are hard to line up and get in place. A drift pin will help and a jack to move the arm up and down. I helped Gary Wheeler do on a few years ago in Urbanna, Va. It was just time consuming.

porthole

Retired
Re: MORryde IS rubber "spring" broken

Gary,

If you can’t do the tire R&R I would suggest having someone change the spring for you.

It can be a bit of a challenge, although the time estimate is about right.

See if you can open this link, it is for the IS spring replacement.

Of note, I did not loosen the two nuts on the inner journal bar as directed.

And when I put a new spring in, the directions - sequence for the #2 & #3 bolts had to be reversed.
One bolt goes in and you are using a jack to rotate the outer plate in line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vi418pljgsty7j/MORryde IS spring replacment.pdf?dl=0

- - - Updated - - -

And LevelUp helps.

You need to get the affected side off the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

That second picture - is your beam hitting the frame?

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

Road,

there red are no leaf springs. The whole wheel assembly is held to the framework they install by this 9” by 9” hunk of rubber that is trapped between two pieces of steel. I try and attach some pictures.

If if they make it on one you can see the crack. On the other the pivot arm up against the frame.

OOPS! Sorry, quick read made me think you had MorrRyde 3000 suspension. Good luck.

Garypowell

Probably a little sloppy in my wording. That lever arm is hitting part of the MORryde metal casing that holds the whole thing to the frame.

My guess is they put this "lip" on it to keep the arm from rotating up so much the tire would hit the underside of the rig. As it was we only had about 2 inches of clearance from the top of the tire to the underside of the coach.

Thanks for the input....that link helped. Once I get the part I can also visualize it all better.

I don't have any drift pins but I can mention it to the tire company.....probably a screw driver could be substituted.

And....I'll tell them to bring extra jacks so they can lift the arm.

My plan is to visit their shop with the drawing and the part....so they can start to realize what they are helping with.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,