Mosquito Repellants - What Works Best?

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We use Watkins and have found it works very well. Just discovered the other day we can now get it at Cosco, we used to have to find a dealer.../Doug

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have used Off on us but really didn't like spraying the dogs down with it. Off makes wipe on cloths now that are easy to use on dogs so you don't end up with dog shaped raisins and really fat mosquitoes.:D

Peteandsharon

We spent a couple of nights in southern Wisconsin recently. There were four of us and we surrounded ourselves with four smoking Thermacells. We were OK until dusk. At that point the mosquitoes hit us like rabid animals. It looked like the Thermacells were only making them mad. Seriously, I have had only mixed results with the thermacells. They seem to either work very well or not at all. Given that I don't like lathering up in chemicals, it's all we really use, though. We did use the skin so soft when my son was young with reasonable results.

Tom of Ypsi

We use a sprinkle on the ground granules called Mosquito Beater with good results. Skin so soft was so so but oily/greasy feeling. Deep Woods off has been the spray on of choice and Themacells the mosquito population thought it was an invitation for dinner. All of this tested over years at our 40 acres in northern Michigan.

Garry & Bev

travel bug
We're with Doug and Lynne when it comes to using Watkins bug dope. We found it works better than anything else we've tried and doesn't have a bad smell either. It is a cream and not a spray, so there is no inhaleing it.

soilmovers

I am interested in hearing what really works for repelling mosquitoes and other bugs. Would like to stay away from all the chemicals if possible.
Thanks for your opinions!
I have to agree with you to stay away from the chemicals. Your skin will absorb the toxins.

Try mixing a teaspoon of vanilla in about a cup of water. Pour that into a spray bottle and mist it on your body.

Cindy

wyleyrabbit

beware of natural repellents

Just a reminder everyone: Beware of so-called natural mosquito repellents. Most simply do not work well, if at all. Now that West Nile Virus is a real threat in most parts of North America, this should not be taken lightly.

I wish there were products that work as well as DEET, but in my experience, nothing beats products such as "Deep Woods OFF!"

See here:
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

and here: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/deet.htm

and here:
http://www.brevardcounty.us/mosquito/deet.cfm

One minor note, be careful not to get DEET products directly or indirectly on plastic.

My $0.02 worth.

Chris

Elevatorman

Save your slightly used Bounce dryer sheets. Take one and hang in your belt loop. I've used them while fishing to fight off the mosquitos, it works!

Besides, I understand they clean the bugs off the front cap or the front of the truck very well also!

Watkins....... as in Watkin lemon juice. We spray lemon juice in the back yard, it work really well. [do to are small yorkies] But on a camping trip, am not sure it would work so well.

dieselsweetheart

I just bought those Off fans that are out now....they work very well. First experience was in Chincoteague and you know how bad the skeeters can be down there. Not one bite. You don't need to wear it on your belt..if you are sitting out just lay it on a table next to you and it will work just fine. Can get a little pricey since the refills only last a certain amount of time...but it's better than spraying all that stuff on your skin!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just bought those Off fans that are out now....they work very well. First experience was in Chincoteague and you know how bad the skeeters can be down there. Not one bite. You don't need to wear it on your belt..if you are sitting out just lay it on a table next to you and it will work just fine. Can get a little pricey since the refills only last a certain amount of time...but it's better than spraying all that stuff on your skin!

Glad to hear it. I just bought two of them to try next week at our campsite, along with some refills. Not cheap, but I don't like spraying bug juice all over me just to sit around the campfire for a couple of hours, or putting long pants and sleeves on. Really don't like crawling in bed with that stuff (and sunscreen) all over me. Icky, icky, poo. (OK, sometimes I'm a wuss.)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The OFF devices appear to work as advertised. My brother in law has one of the ThermaCell devices and says it works for him. But the size and cost of it, and the fact that you have to buy the holster separate makes it a more expensive proposition. Without the holster, it gets rather hot in one's pocket. Overall, the advertised life of the repellant is about the same. The OFF unit does not require a butane bottle to run it, however.

You pay your money and you take your choice.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Deep Woods Off is one of the more pleasant repellents. I use it fishing all the time and works great.

jimtoo

Hi gwalter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

We hope you have a great time with your new unit, I'm sure you will have fun making great memories.....just don't use the OFF on your Heartland family or friends.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M