Mounting TV in storage bay (basement)

Dylan

Hello...is there anyone who has mounted a tv in the storage bay? I'm curious if you have to reinforce the wall, remove anything to do so, or just screw right in (to mount the swing arm bracket)?....we are picking up a 2009 3670RL in a month. I have a 26 inch tv, not too heavy, but I want to make sure it has plenty of support. Any info would be much appreciated....thanks.

Westwind

It sounds like you don't have one on the wall near the door frame like I have. I also have an outlet and cable connection near the mount. I don't know what year they started adding them to the storage compartment. I have removed the panels between the compartment and the bulkhead of the trailer where the furnace, hotwater heater, inverter etc. are located.

Start at the connection dock, there are screws located there that the vertical wall on that side of the compartment is connected to and remove them.
The panel should be a little loose if you have removed the right ones, they should line up with the panel edge.

Towards the center of the back wall of the compartment were the two panels meet their should be two screws holding the panels together and they will have to be removed. The door side of the panel (if you have the central vac) will be held in place by the vac/outlets but you will be able to see inside if you remove the panel opposite the bedroom slide side. You will be able to see in back of the panel and see if there is anything you can attach a TV bracket too. If not you can fabricate a wooden frame and put it in back of the panel to support the bracket. You might also want to take a look and see if you should locate the inverter and pump off the floor so if there is a leak the water won't harm the electrical portion of those two units.

brianharrison

Can't recollect off the top of my head, but I don't think there are any backing boards (ie mounting reinforcement) on the back of my basement tv mount. I beleive it is mounted directly to the panel without backing. That being said, I have not had any issue with screws pulling out or panel breakage.

The panel has the factory 110V and cable outlet.

Take care,
Brian

Westwind

I have it on my trailer but I just assumed that they must have mounted it to more that that 1/2 inch particle board, but with these flat screens they are really light. I have two LED LCD's in the house that are really really light, the LCD's that came with our Bighorn weigh more but they are still light.
Our bedroom one along with the bracket is suppose to be able to move to the compartment bracket for use.

Dylan

Thanks for the replies. Part of the problem is, we just haven't picked up the rig yet. Still on the dealers lot, waiting for hitch to be installed, and.....we can't wait. So without having it at home yet, it's tough for me to see what you folks are describing. Appreciate the info, and I'm hoping I can just mount it righ on the side panel as is. The tv can't be more than 10 or 15 pounds.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have a 2009 BH3670RL. There is an electrical outlet and a cable outlet on the basement wall, and that's it. There is nothing on the back side of the wall panel to reinforce the thin plywood. If you want to mount a TV bracket there, I would suggest getting a piece of 3/4" plywood larger than the footprint of the mounting bracket you intend to use. Put the plywood on the back side of the wall, securing it with glue and some screws (from the front side). That will give you a solid surface to mount the bracket to and give some wood depth for the screws to hold, as well as spread any load out a bit.

To remove the basement wall on the door side, you may find you also need to remove the covering on the washer/dryer plumbing that runs across the compartment door opening. While you're down there, it's a good opportunity to locate your converter and maybe relocate it to a spot safe from any potential water leaks. Mine was directly under the anti-siphon valve for the black tank flush.

And no, I don't have a TV in the basement.

Westwind

After reading a few posts about the vulerability of the Inverter, water pump etc. that's going to be one of my projects when the weather warms up, I might even start poking around if I get bored while in Florida the next 3 months but that usually doesn't happen. I also saw a post where an owner changed the compartment wall so that it went straight accross the back of the compartment and gave more floor space.