Mounting tv swivel at bedroom tv area

z-dog

We are having a 3070rl built next month and was wondering how it would be best to mount a tv swivel base to the back wall at the tv area of the bedroom. We want to be able to mount a 32" tv onto the swivel base. Not sure if the factory can tell me where would be best to screw the base to the wall. Can an additional piece of plywood be adhered to the back area allowing me to screw the mount to the plywood? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks Chris Zillig

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There isn't much structural support inside the walls behind the thin MDF wall board, so I would not rely on just gluing the plywood to it, much less mounting the TV support directly to it. I'm thinking the sides of the "box" where the TV sits are double-walled panels, so that means there's some framing at the rear. You could mount the plywood to them using pocket hole joinery, and maybe some Liquid Nails on the back of the plywood just for good measure. Plugs are available to fill in the holes for the pocket hole screws, as well. To do it, however, does require purchasing some tools and fixtures for the pocket holes.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5985&filter=pocket%20hole

The link is merely for example. Kreg is one of the major manufacturers of pocket hole joinery items, but not the only one. But, if you decide to do it as I mentioned, you will need a jig of some sort, along with the step drill bit and pocket hole screws.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Chris, I would not attempt to mount to the wall. On my last Bighorn I bolted an articulating mount to the side of the cabinet. I had a strap that I attached to the roof truss inside to wrap around the TV when we traveled. Had no problems in three years.
On my current rig I attached two 1x2 cleats, on an angle, one on each side cabinet, then attached a piece of 1/2 in. plywood to them. The TV mount is on the plywood.
If you need anymore info, just ask.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I bolted a 2 section arm (from Target) to the rearward TV box wall using bolts through to the next cabinet. I set the highth with the TV attached so that when the arm is inside the box area the TV (flat panel) bottom sits on the bottom of the enclosure, That is how it travels. The tilt adjustment at the end of the arm helps with this. The double section arm will bring the TV about a foot out of the enclosure.

K

karykatz

Z-Dog,

Please read Dave's post. This is how we mount from the factory. I do not recommend and method that may run screws into the sidewalls. Hope this helps.

JohnDar

My method of using pocket hole joinery into framing meant the framing of the cabinet side walls, not the wall of the trailer. Similar to attaching cleats to the sides of the opening, which will also work. Having "examined" the cabinets in my rig, they're similar to a hollow core door in that they have an internal frame with two thin sheets of plywood on either side. If they didn't, the walls would flex like paper.

z-dog

Thanks to all for the imput. Mounting to the side of the cabinet wall does seem to make the most sense. Also thought about strapping the tv for travel. Now I just need to get the new unit to try it out!
Thanks again
Chris

z-dog

Dave
Thanks for the reply. Did you run your bolts all the way through the side to the other cabinet? That would make the most sense to me. Not sure how I will determine where the roof truss is located to mount a bracket for strapping the tv for travel. Any help there? Thanks Chris

Gizzy

We recently got our BH3070 and one of the first things we did was measure the size of the TV cabinet so we could go purchase a TV for the bedroom. The largest size we could get that would fit was a 22 inch. I am wondering how you plan to put a 32 inch in the bedroom. Perhaps that was a typo.
The dealer installed ours by attaching it to the side of the cabinet and we swivel it 180 degrees and put it back into the cabinet for travel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes z-dog I did go all the way through the cabinet wall. In the photo you can see where the ceiling seam is. That is where I mounted the strap. I also built out the wall so the swivel would center the TV in the frame.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC00491.JPG
    DSC00491.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00492.JPG
    DSC00492.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00378.JPG
    DSC00378.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 45

z-dog

The opening at the cabinet will only allow a 22" tv. What I would like to do is mount a swivel arm base to the side of the cabinet (next to the one with the door) which would allow me to mount the tv outside the two sides of the cabinet area they have set up for the tv. I will put a strap connection at the ceiling and the cabinet to strap the tv for travel. I will plan on putting my blu ray player in the cabinet with the door. At least that is my idea for now. Not positive it will work out but I think it should.
By the way, how do you like your 3070? Did you get the island? We are looking forward to getting ours next month.
Thanks Chris

Gizzy

So far we love it. Going from a TT w/one slide it is like we are in a ballroom. We love the open space and for that reason we did not get the island. We did get it with dual pane windows and the 2nd ac in the bedroom. Also love the level-up system, really makes it easy to set up. The DW loves the central vac and I love the electric cord reel. I will retire in May and we plan to put lots of miles on it starting then. In the meantime it will just be weekend outings for us and the grand kids.

JohnDar

I'll correct my earlier post. The cabinets on either side of my TV shelf may have thin skinned double walls, but the actual side walls of the TV opening are 3/4" solid material. May be veneered particle board, but it feels and sounds substantial enough to screw cleats directly into it without a problem. It would not be possible to mount the swing arm to either side and then to the 19" TV, however, and still be able to swing it out of the way. For ours, I really don't need it to swing, just tilt down some so that you're looking directly at the screen while in bed. Same with the main TV. It does not tilt downwards, so watching from the sofa and recliners can be a problem with dark screen scenes.