Movement inside with 6 point system.

We traded in our 2013 Big Horn for a 2014 3875FB with the 6 point level system. Our old unit had just the rear stabilizers, no level system. I purchase the pin tripod and 4 stabilizers, 2 for each slide. The unit was stable and we had no movement inside when someone walked. I thought with the new 6 point system, wow it will be as solid as our stick built home was. Not! We still have the tripod and slide stabilizers but I can be sitting in my chair on the computer and it shakes when my wife walks around. We are on soft ground so I inserted 2x12’s under each pad and auto leveled the unit again. No better. Our old unit had the scissor jacks at the very rear. Now the question. Is it possible we are having this problem because the jacks at the rear on our old unit stabilized better than the 6 point system? Anyone have a thought on this. Thanks in advance.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Level up is a leveling system, not a stabilization system....this is one reason we had the rear electric stabilizers left on our new Landmark when we ordered it...makes all the difference. Stops the tail wiggle....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Kakampers. I have the rear electric stabilizer in addition to the Level Up. Works great.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Pin stabilizers have show to offer little effectiveness, except for the lightening of the wallet.

Our trailers are designed to not use slide stabilizers. And I have never seen a reason to even try either before we had LevelUp installed or after.

As to the rear electric jacks, they can help stabilize the trailer. Look where they are in relation the rear hydraulic jacks.
I took my electric stabs off because of driveway clearance, but re-installing them is on my list of things to do.

Think about how your jacks work, nothing more then 6 vertical supports, slightly tapered. Now think about how the rear electric stabs deploy, they come down on an angle and form a nice triangle.

Manual stabilizers on your hydraulic jacks can help some.

Ladiver

Dave,

Could you take a picture and post it? I have the Level Up and would like to stabilize our Cyclone 3100. It is not bad, but in the middle of the night, when the dogs wake up and run around the garage, we get awakened too. I am just trying to figure out how to make the two systems work together.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ladiver

Duane,

I just saw your post. Which electric stabilizers did you go with for your 3010? The 3100 is VERY similar.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ladiver

Thanks,

I guess the LevelUp system, if added during build, removes the factory stabilizers. I don't have any, so I need to buy something. I was considering the JT Strong Arms, but trying to figure out if I need to add additional legs, or if they can be added to the LevelUp.

bwc1950

I wonder if Lippert moved the rear hydraulic jacks further back, maybe almost to where the stabilizers were if it would make the unit more stabile?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if Lippert moved the rear hydraulic jacks further back, maybe almost to where the stabilizers were if it would make the unit more stabile?
I doubt it. I think you would still need some triangulation to stop the movement.

Peace
Dave

kkamshop

Let me throw this out there. If you raise the trailer wheels off the ground and it still bounces could the hydraulic system have air in it?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I don't think it's a "bouncing" issue...it is, at least for us, more a side to side wiggle when someone walks/moves thru the rig...the rear stabilizers stop this. Once you lift the unit slightly off the springs with the level up, the tires are no longer in play with the movement of the trailer...it's all on the hydraulic legs.

donr827

Mine is a shorter fifth wheel but do not have any movement with mine. I could see where longer trailers might have some movement.
Don

Theresau

We have no movement at all and no add'l stabilizers - just level ups. (However, I do wish we had thought of having Heartland leave the electric stabilizers just in case.)

We are on a concrete pad.

We measured our BC and it is 40' tip to tip. Listed at 38'.

The rear stabilizers did not help with the movement on our 2010 BH - experienced a great deal of movement. Huge difference with the level ups.

porthole

Retired
Let me throw this out there. If you raise the trailer wheels off the ground and it still bounces could the hydraulic system have air in it?

Doubt it.
I'm sure it is more of flex through out the trailer. Maybe even the floors flexing some.

Our trailer is pretty steady, and if we will be someplace more then a couple of days I'll lock in the JT's, front and rear.
But, if the two dogs start rough housing - all bets are off, especially if they are in the garage playing.

Toy hauler or regular 5th wheel, that is a long unsupported area from the rear jack to the end of the trailer.

Leverage.

Those are skinny legs you have out once you lift the trailer. Asking a lot for no movement. If the system was so designed for zero movement, something else would have to give.

Ladiver

I picked up some JT Strong Arms at Camping World last night. Maybe I will take on the task tomorrow. They said I could incorporate to the Level Up legs, but I am not sure about that. I will start a new thread on my install. There is always a small chance I say screw it and let them install it for $25. People have been saying 4 hours. My time might be worth more than that, especially if Santa is good to me and drops off a 5th Airborne.

Ladiver

Thanks Duane. Your link makes is VERY clear. I see I will be doing some welding this weekend. In pic #5, it looks like that is the rear landing gear. You have 2 supports on each leg, making your system have 8 support bars. Is this correct? The system I just got had 6 support bars. 4 for the front and only 2 for the rear.

porthole

Retired
Thanks Duane. Your link makes is VERY clear. I see I will be doing some welding this weekend. In pic #5, it looks like that is the rear landing gear. You have 2 supports on each leg, making your system have 8 support bars. Is this correct? The system I just got had 6 support bars. 4 for the front and only 2 for the rear.

Jeff,
I bought a used set from Ray T, then got a new set at the Goshen Rally. So yes, I have eight - because I had them.
The piece welded to the plate was old electric front landing gear shafts I had from my LevelUp install.

If I was to only use 6 I think I would put one rear bar going fore and aft and one side to side.

Before you bolt anything up in the back, check to see how easy it is to access them. Mine on the right side are a little bit of a chore because of the garage steps.