Movement

rlkubi

All, we have a North Trail 31RLSS which I absolutely love! We are now on our second trip in it. We had a pop up before this so are new to TT's. There is a lot of movement when people walk. What can we do to help with this?

Thanks!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Rlbuki,
I have a NT 31BDSS, It is similar in size and with 5 of us, there is movement unless I block it up well. I use wood wheel chocks that I made out of 4x6 lumber that fits the contour of the wheels. I place a chock behind each wheel then using the truck, I back up slightly on the chocks and place a chock in front of each wheel. I then roll forward a bit and check that all of the wheel chocks are secure. I then lower the tongue jack and disconnect the truck and level out. Placing wood block under each stab jack pad, I then slightly lower the front of the trailer and lower the rear stab jacks until they are set. I then raise the tongue jack slightly and lower the front stab jacks until they are secure. If I have done it right, I usually have very little movement in the trailer even with three kids bouncing around.
I will check the chocks and maybe snug up the stab jacks daily if necessary, if any settling occurs on soft ground. I usually use 1 or 2 4x6 or 2x6 wood blocks under each stab jack and the tongue jack to help reduce the amount that I lower the stab jacks. I have the most movement, if I have the stab jacks nearly fully extended instead of using blocks to build up the distance from the jack to the ground.

ILH

One of the best ways to avoid movement is to get the chocks that go between the wheels and apply pressure to the tires - effectively locking the tires in their position. Well worth the investment.

RuralPastor

We considered stabilizers, but opted for $20 screw jacks. We place one on each side, between the tires. Problem solved. All the RV places have them.

rlkubi

Sorr y for the question but what is a screw jack? We were considering the item that goes between the two tires to stabilize but the tires are pretty far apart. We actually have the camper at a resort and we don't have a truck to pull it. The facility pulls it on and off the site for us so we can't do what Silverado does.

RuralPastor

It looks similar to a jack stand, except it has a threaded rod that is hand tightened. We snug it up under the spring hangers--where they meet in the middle.

GoinNorth

I use the BAL X-Chock on each side & they work well w/ the stabilizers to shore everything up. Just make sure to get the extended ones that fit our wide axle stance.

evolvingpowercat

Is your North Trail like my Edge and have 4 crank down stabilizers in the corners? are you putting a wood or plastic block under them to spread the weight out a little? I suggest you do that and that you might make sure you are getting them down good so that they are taking some weight at each corner. Don't over-do it, but getting the stablizers to each take some weight at the corner should stabilize you. Personally I just wheel chock and and not invested in the X-Chocks. One less thing to find a place to store in the Edge.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Is your North Trail like my Edge and have 4 crank down stabilizers in the corners? are you putting a wood or plastic block under them to spread the weight out a little? I suggest you do that and that you might make sure you are getting them down good so that they are taking some weight at each corner. Don't over-do it, but getting the stablizers to each take some weight at the corner should stabilize you. Personally I just wheel chock and and not invested in the X-Chocks. One less thing to find a place to store in the Edge.
The wood blocks definitely make a difference.