Moving 5th wheels with slides out

Lynn1130

Well, I took mine back to the dealer at about 3 months due to the living room slide tearing into the carpet and considering the number of out of adjustment slides I have seen mentioned here I would guess that either the factory is messing up or the dealers are hauling them around the lots with the slides open. My money is on the dealers.

Perhaps Heartland should weigh in on what if any damage that might cause and if it is possible to cause damage by hauling them around the lot with the slides open then they might want to save warranty money by telling the dealers to close the slides before moving them. JMHO

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Perhaps Heartland should weigh in on what if any damage that might cause and if it is possible to cause damage by hauling them around the lot with the slides open then they might want to save warranty money by telling the dealers to close the slides before moving them. JMHO

I doubt the dealers would listen . . .

Anywayz . . .

I saw a 5th-wheeler at my dealership moved with a slide out last summer . . . at first I thought it was strange, but when I asked about it they said that trailer was in for service and the slide was stuck out.

I've manuvered our trailer a couple of feet with the slides out but have never driven it around with them out.

I've never seen another moved on a dealers lot with slides out.

Dean-Pam

Well, I took mine back to the dealer at about 3 months due to the living room slide tearing into the carpet and considering the number of out of adjustment slides I have seen mentioned here.....

Another important reason I won't move my 5er with the slides out, even if it were only a couple of feet.

Rollin_Free

My biggest concern would be if the repairs aren't covered by the warranty if damage is cause by moving the trailer with the slider out. I'm sure the dealership would have to evaluate the issue, make a determination, and then report it to Heartland.

Lynn1130

My biggest concern would be if the repairs aren't covered by the warranty if damage is cause by moving the trailer with the slider out

I am wondering how they might prove that? Unless it took a good jolt while moving and bent something it seems to me that it otherwise would just knock it out of adjustment slightly which was the case with mine. Since I never moved/move mine while the slides are out and in-fact do not put the slides out until the trailer is leveled and chocked I can only assume that the dealer moved it around with the slides out or it just went out on its own. I don't know but I bought mine during a large weekend sale at the Cardinal's stadium and my guess is that the dealer, who shall remain unnamed here, moved it around on the parking lot with the slides out. This also brings up TowMax tires and while not related to this thread the same dealer moved the trailer from their dealership in either Mesa or Tucson (since it had the Tucson dealer listed as seller but the sale was done by the Mesa branch) with transport vehicles, probably at 75 mph with questionable air pressure. Yet another questionable dealer activity. My first tire went at about 1000 miles and did $2400 in damage.

I guess the lesson with all of this is take some time watching what goes on on the lot of the dealer that you are considering a buy from.

And an afterthought. If the dealer made the determination that their practice of moving trailers with the slide out caused the warranty claim why would they admit that to Heartland. Fox watching the chicken coop.

Rollin_Free

i guess the lesson with all of this is take some time watching what goes on on the lot of the dealer that you are considering a buy from.

And an afterthought. If the dealer made the determination that their practice of moving trailers with the slide out cause the warranty claim why would they admit that to heartland. Fox watching the chicken coop.

x2- exactly. Not stereotyping any dealership - We just need to make sure we know and are confident the dealership appreciates our specific rig as much as we do.

Even though our rig isn't new we will still, at some point, need to have it serviced by a qualified dealer. I really don't want to see a minimum wage (trainee) employee hook to our trailer and pull it in the shop area. However I'm not sure I can be positive that doesn't happen unless I sleep in it until they have it fixed and I'm pretty sure they won't let me do that while it's in their lot.