Moving 5th wheels with slides out

LarryL

I have been looking at upper end 5th wheels for a year or so now and have been at afew dealers where I have watched them moving for sale units with all the slides extended. I find this quite alarming. Is this standard practice, I certainly would hope not. It makes me think twice about purchasing a unit that has been on a lot for a while. One dealer in particular in northern Indiana has a lot of units sitting in an unpaved lot and we watched them move several big units on rutted uneven roads with no apparent concern. What is the factorys position on this? I would almost thinkthat that could void a warrenty. I have never owned a 5th wheel or any trailer with slides for that matter so I have no idea about the kind of damage that could cause.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen this done at every dealer that I have visited and I do it pretty often here at home.
Since the slides don't add to the structural integrity of the rig I don't see any damage arising from doing that. Unless of course the driver catches the slide on something.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

Dealers aren't going to risk damaging something they would have to repair before they could sell it...Can't see where this would hurt anything. If it did they wouldn't do it...Don

LarryL

Dave, I guess I was just thinking that with the size of some of the main slides today tha t there is considerable weight hanging outside of the frame of the trailer. Thought it might not be real good on the operating mechanism of the slides, especially going over humps and bumps in an unpaved lot. I know I have alot to learn about these rigs, I have afeeling these forums will be of great value once we buy and retire. Thanks Larry

MTPockets

I'm of the school of thought where moving with the slide out could be harmful. The slide is supported when travelling, on the inside slide face which stabilizes the slide structure, as well as some support on the inside floor area. Granted, the slide out support is decent as well, but I personally would rather move with them in. It's also good to exercise the slide by putting them in.

Crumgater

I agree that it would put an extra stress on the slide gearing mechanisms when moved and bounced around in the extended position... hopefully the design engineers allowed for some limited movement with the slides extended, but I wouldn't recommend going fast or hitting any speed bumps. I'd think you'd risk bending things that shouldn't be bent.

pegmikef

If it was intended that units be moved with the slides extended then why is it recommended for most rigs and explicitly specified for some (my North Trail 26LRSS for one) that the jacks be extended before opening the slides?

Dean-Pam

I may be overly cautious, but for my rig, I don't even put the slides out until it is level, much less move it with the slides out.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
IMHO there is a difference between gently moving on a smooth level surface and bouncing down the road. I have moved mine a few feet here and there without retracting the slides, but I certainly would not jar the rig on any bumps with the slides out. Trace

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I see dealerships moving them this way all the time. Upon purchase of our new rig, when we were switching our stuff from one rig to the other, neither coach was hooked up to power. At the end of a long day, we went to pull slides in to leave, and there was not enough "juice" to do so. We had hooked up ok, so with the guidance of the dealership employee we backed it toward their shop about 50 yards, in the dark, to get close enough to hook it to a power source to get the slides in.
It was not a pretty sight to watch such an investment move that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

Moving them around on a parking lot at low speeds should not hurt anything. Just think of the jolting it gets at highway speeds on some of the roads in this country. Highway 69 in Oklahoma comes to mind.

Rollin_Free

I think dealers are taking short cuts to save time. I don't believe it's a safe way to move trailers for many reasons. Convienence isn't really enough reason to take a chance. Like someone else said what if it tips or hits something, then who pays for the repairs. Hum bet I know who......

sengli

I would not move my coach with the slides out. I know when we bought ours, they moved our rig across the lot, and caught the extended entrance steps, and damaged them. They pulled an entire stair assembly off another rig on the lot to get us on the road.

Lynn1130

Moving them around on a parking lot at low speeds should not hurt anything. Just think of the jolting it gets at highway speeds

Yes but the slides are not out at highway speeds. The torque on the slide out and frame when moving it around with the slides out has to put stress on parts that should not get that much stress. And as for dealers worrying about stock on the lot. Forget it. The problems show up months later after the sales and they either get the warranty work profit or it is after warranty and they do not have to worry about it. Ethics? I doubt it with most of them. Sell it, get it off of the lot and move on to the next one.

danemayer

When I read a thread about a crack in the corner above a slide, and I read this thread, I wonder if there's a possible connection.

brianlajoie

X3 with Dan. I am also thinking that if they cannot be bothered to push a button on a customer's coach out of respect for the customer's property, then what else can they not be bothered with???

caissiel

We owned a 5th wheel that had a note by the switch, to only extend the slide after the stabilizers were set.
Never again I will own one with similar frame. The frame wound twist enough during travel to cause roof leaks.Our BC has a solid frame that do not twist with the slides out without stabilizers. Many times we don't bother extending the rear ones.
The light TT units will twist by opening the slides before stabilizers set. See it all the time.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

LarryL

I was hoping to get a response from Heartland on this also as they monitor this site. A Landmark is a great 5ver and is at the top of our price point. I worry about buying a unit that has been sitting on a lot if this is as common as it seems. Many times I see units on lots sitting without all of the stabilizing legs deployed. Buying from a dealer with a good reputation is becoming more and more important to me. I want to by my last 5ver first