Mt. Rushmore trip

Rbfleming

My wife and I are planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore in June. I have allotted 2 1/2 days to travel from Houston TX. What we are not sure is how long we should stay. I have 4 days penciled in but would like to hear from others that have made the trip. I would like to park the trailer and drive to the attractions and spend some relaxing at the campground. Any suggestions on RV parks, attractions and length of stay would be greatly appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Four days might be enough, but that depends on what you want to see and the pace you want do it at.
There are two caves, Wind and Jewel. Mount Rushmore both day and evening visits. A side trip to the Badlands with a stop at the Minute Man Missile bunker. Custer State Park. Crazy Horse. Needles Highway.
I vote for Rafter J Bar CG. If you haven't made reservations yet, don't wait too long.
Are you headed anywhere from there, or back to TX?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

That's about 1300 miles in 2.5 days. Keep in mind that most trailer tires are rated for a maximum speed of 65 mph, above which they will suffer cumulative damage.

We stayed at the Rafter J-bar Ranch. Very nice. Close to both Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

kowAlski631

We stayed in Rapid City where we could drive easily to not just Mt Rushmore, but Sturgis, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park. We stayed at Lazy J RV Park, but this was 3 years ago, so can't tell you what it's like now. We were there for 2 weeks.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We made this trip a few years ago when we stayed at the Custer's Gulch RV Park. I don't think you are allowing enough time to travel that far. It's 1290 miles there, so that would make two 500 mile days and the third day would "only" be 290 miles. Four days to see Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse memorial and Custer State Park is enough time but there are other attractions in the area that you will miss. Rapid City SD, Sturgis SD, and the Devil's Tower National Monument are just some of the others attractions.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

avvidclif

Don't forget Walls Drugstore, Badlands, Deadwood (don't skip the cemetery, Wild Bill and Calamity Jane), Spearfish Canyon, Crazy Horse Memorial, Lead SD, and on and on.

I would figure 3 days up and 3 back and that's pushing it and spend 8 days sightseeing. Plan on 2 weeks. A very busy 2 weeks. There is so much to see.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We stayed in the Black Hills at Rafter J Bar Ranch which is in Hill City for 5 nights. It was a great center point to base out of going to Devils Tower, Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Deadwood, rode the train in Hill City thru the mtn, a little drive to Walls drugstore and the Bad Lands, etc, etc etc. Did we have enough time - no. It's on our bucket list to do again but this time spend 7-10 days because we rushed thru it so fast, we didn't have time to study up on all the history.

Kbvols

We stayed at Rafter J's last year in July. The park is awesome. It is a large park with several distinct camping areas.. The park is located on the main highway from Hiill city with easy access and short drive to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Needles Hwy , 1880's train and other area attractions. We checked out other RV parks in the area and where glad we were guided to Rafter J's based on advice of other forum members.

Hill city is a nice small time with a 3 or 4 wineries/ brew pubs if you like that type of thing. There is a restaurant in town called Alpine inn that is very good. There menu is limited to filet mignon and I think chicken, lettuce wedge, baked potato or spaetzle ....for around $12. The food was great they only take cash go early as it gets packed..

We were there for 5 nights and was able to pretty much see all that we wanted to which included a day trip to deadwood which was a fun town to visit.

Hope you have a great enjoyable and safe trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjr6150

Dave going to have to respectfully disagree on site #247 is the best but I do agree with the Island Area. We have three sites reserved up there starting 6/30-7/10. Will be our 12 year going up and still find things to see and do.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Dave going to have to respectfully disagree on site #247 is the best but I do agree with the Island Area. We have three sites reserved up there starting 6/30-7/10. Will be our 12 year going up and still find things to see and do.

Figured somebody would. That's why I stated in my opinion.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stayed at Big Pine Campground ( http://www.bigpinecampground.com/smaltolarg/photos.html ) just outside of Custer, SD for eight nights.

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg

Just west of town about a half mile, this RV park is quiet with lots of shade and we will stay there again next time we drive up that way!

Custer is the perfect place to have for a base camp as you've got groceries, restaurants and all of that city stuff close by if and when you need it, yet close enough to most of the tourist traps!

We did Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Sturgis, Hill City, Custer State Park, Jewel Cave, Bedrock City (Flintstone's Park), Needles Highway, Devil's Tower, Badlands, Wall Drug Store, yet still had time to relax!

SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg SDDevilsTower-IMG_0556.jpg

I agree with the others that you should add another day to the drive each way!

I've done those 600-mile 14 hour day drives with a trailer in tow . . . and it just ain't worth it!

BandGun

I did that in the summer of 14 tent camping off the motorcycle. Only thing I can add to the previous comments is that if you are a veteran, bring some proof and you will get into Crazy Horse at a much discounted rate. Bring some money if you want to pick up some awesome Native American items while there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk