My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

ihsolutions

Hey now! I wasn't alive for most of the 1970's, and didn't know any better. I ordered the lighted grab handles on mine a couple months ago. For me, they were necessary with the height of the truck and the fact we have two children. What I don't like, however, is that the words "CLASSY CHASSIS" are carved into them with a red inset. Hideous. Classy needs to stop that nonsense, or at least let you know that they're doing it, so you can make the decision for yourself. The worst offense was the cardboard front license plate "Classy Muscle Cars.Com" *SCREWED* into the front fender plastic. Big screws, where there were no existing holes. Ouch! We don't even have front plates in MI so now I'm stuck with two holes there. Among other lessons learned, be real sure you know exactly how many times their company name and phone number are going to be on your truck, before you sign up for a conversion. In my case, the answer is nine... when I would have preferred zero.

I DO like the look of the graphics. My truck is silver, and since it's not two-toned like Jim's, it's a whole lot of silver and kinda plain looking. I wish I had some something to break it up a bit. Nice truck, Jim. I'm jealous!

Attachments

• IMG_2350[1].jpg
    IMG_2350[1].jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2121[1].jpg
    IMG_2121[1].jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 106

porthole

Retired
Re: Paint Progress on My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

Jim - a better pic of the chains, shackles and pulling the hitch (actually putting it back in).
The chains going to the front of the hitch are shorter then the rear chains.

Finger tight on the shackles and the chains stay in the truck tool box.

Attachments

• Hitch-hoist.jpg
    Hitch-hoist.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 109

jbeletti

Nice Duane.

Do you keep the 4 clevis' on the hitch all the time or remove those too?

I purchased 2 6 foot slings with sewn loops on each end. They may or may not work out. Love the clevis idea. Were the holes in the hitch already or did you drill them?

jbeletti

The truck is done!

I'm in Alabama though and we're heading to the Southeast Regional Rally in Pine Meadow, GA tomorrow. We'll arrive home on the 8th and my plan is to head to Valparaiso on the 9th. 10th latest. Then spend a day in Elkhart, then home.

porthole

Retired
Do you keep the 4 clevis' on the hitch all the time or remove those too?

No, they are only finger tight so they come off with the chains. The shackle holding the 4 chains together stays that way and is tightened up.

I purchased 2 6 foot slings with sewn loops on each end. They may or may not work out. Love the clevis idea. Were the holes in the hitch already or did you drill them?

You can get by with one strap.
This will make sense when you get your hitch. Before making up my chain lift, I used a 3' strap with sewn eyes. This I slid underneath the saddle and slipped the strap in between the coils of the saddle spring. Bring the two eyes together and connect the hoist to that.

BTW, if the hitch rattles a bit when you pick it up - a big wrench on the pivot bolt will stop that.

jbeletti

COMPLETE: My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

The truck is complete at Classy Chassis. Below are the completed pictures. Once I get it home, I'll move into it and begin a few mods of my own. First will be mounts for my phone and iPad. Second will be the backup camera monitor for the RV.

Complete - Passenger Side Front.jpg Complete - Driver Side Front.jpg Complete - Driver Side Rear.jpg Complete - Passenger Side Rear.jpg Complete - Passenger Side.jpgComplete - Headache Rack - Lights - Aux Tank.jpg Complete - Rear Left.jpg Complete - Driver Dash.jpg Complete - Passenger Side Dash.jpg Complete - Back Seats.jpgComplete - Driver Front Seat.jpg Complete - Passenger Side Seat.jpg Complete - Rear Console - Flat-2 Power for Koolatron.jpg

ihsolutions

Re: COMPLETE: My 2012 Ford F450 Classy Chassis truck build

Absolutely gorgeous!

I love the subtle graphics on the sides.

It looks like it will be hard to reach the handle and snap pin on the TS3? Even with the extension Hensley provides. I have the same problem with my dually.

Also wondering why you didn't get the weather tech floor mats?

Nice truck!

jbeletti

Jeff,

I may still get the floor mats. May just order them separately from Classy Chassis.

I don't know much about the hitch yet. Something to learn and then find my own method of working it. Hoping the lower sides of the hauler bed will make it easier to reach. Plus the 450 sits a little lower than my 550.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I'll pick it up for you Jim. I can leave my 350 there for you to use until I can get it back to you...:angel:

jnbhobe

Love the rig Jim, Tell Gus while he has your truck he can put the LED lights in for you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We have that same hitch and it is a dream to use. As Clint Eastwood said in the movie FireFox..."Simple". You will love the hitch. That is one beautiful truck. BTW when hitched be sure to put a lock or a clip through the hole in the front of the hitch to prevent the level from being moved (intentionally or accidently)

truknutt

Committed Member

Beautiful looking truck, Jim. If I may make my suggestion, consider a "Lockpick" for the Nav unit. It overrides some of the "safety" features of your radio such as being able to load a destination and being able to watch a DVD while the truck is in motion. It also allows you to view multiple cameras on the nav radio screen. It's all plug-n-play.

BTW, are blue lettered tires a Midwest thing?

CliffP

BTW, are blue lettered tires a Midwest thing?

That is a protective coating (to keep the white letters white) that is supposed to be washed off after installation.

truknutt

Committed Member

That is a protective coating (to keep the white letters white) that is supposed to be washed off after installation.

Yeah Cliff I knew that. Shoulda putta smiley after that or a "LOL".

CliffP

Yeah Cliff I knew that. Shoulda putta smiley after that or a "LOL".

Guess I should have seen it as a joke. A smiley or LOL would have given it away, funnier this way though.