My axle hangers have to be cut and relocated

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
So my 300C does not track like it should. It tracks slightly off to the passenger side. Not only that but it does not take much to cause that trailer to sway a bit.

The trailer sat at Camping World and I finely got a answer back. The front axle hangers are both off. They need to be cut off and relocated. Even once they get this done I will still be taking it to a Trailer and Axle shop here in Houston to insure it is correct. Only reason I am letting CW do this bit is because of the warranty.

Has anybody else ran into incorrect hanger placement on their trailer?

Rmcgrath53

CORRECT TRAKE makes a product to correct the alignment that I had done on my fiver. You could check the amount off it is by finding a level spot and plumb down from the center of the hitch then measure to the same spot on both front tires. Like a triangle the measurement must be the same. The product is reicon track fast or correct track cant remember off hand. Good luck

danemayer

The front axle hangers are both off.
mattpopp,

While this is possible, it seems very unlikely that Lippert would have made the frame and put the hanger brackets in the wrong place. I would hazard a guess that the hangers are not placed by hand when welded into place at Lippert. Did CW give you measurements, or just say they're "both off."

If they are placed incorrectly, Lippert ought to cover the fix under the 1 year frame warranty. Have you had that discussion with CW or directly with Lippert? If Lippert agrees to pay, I suppose that would be a confirmation that they made a mistake.

Are you sure you trust CW to do this? I just had all my hanger brackets replaced but had it done at a place that manufactures and services trailers, and services RV and truck frames and suspension. I don't think I would have trusted any RV shop with the job because it's just not something they would have experience doing.

My hanger spacing was correct but was intended for Lippert suspension. The trailer was built just as Heartland transitioned to Dexter suspension. The parts mix put the axles too close together causing excess wear on the EZ-Flex.

dave10a

My rear axle tires are showing signs of feathering while the front axle tires seem to be wearing normally. I took the trailer to a local dealer and they claim they wanted the trailer for 3 or more weeks to check it out and get approval from Lippert if needed for repair. I think that is an excessive time period and noted the problem via email to Heartland to make sure this was noted before the warranty expires. I am now searching for a dealer that can gain my confidence that they can check the alignment properly. Doing my own measurement I found the axles spacing from side to side it over 1.25 inches. Measuring the hanger I found over a quarter inch difference from hanger to hanger. I don't think Lippert is using exacting manufacturing techniques and I don't think Heartland is inspecting the frames and hangers that closely. Anyway Gawd bless emails for documenting issues :rolleyes:

scottyb

mattpopp,

While this is possible, it seems very unlikely that Lippert would have made the frame and put the hanger brackets in the wrong place. I would hazard a guess that the hangers are not placed by hand when welded into place at Lippert. Did CW give you measurements, or just say they're "both off."

If they are placed incorrectly, Lippert ought to cover the fix under the 1 year frame warranty. Have you had that discussion with CW or directly with Lippert? If Lippert agrees to pay, I suppose that would be a confirmation that they made a mistake.

Are you sure you trust CW to do this? I just had all my hanger brackets replaced but had it done at a place that manufactures and services trailers, and services RV and truck frames and suspension. I don't think I would have trusted any RV shop with the job because it's just not something they would have experience doing.

My hanger spacing was correct but was intended for Lippert suspension. The trailer was built just as Heartland transitioned to Dexter suspension. The parts mix put the axles too close together causing excess wear on the EZ-Flex.

Dan, are you saying that HL has switched axles on all brands to Dexter? Just wondering because my new Cyclone is at the dealer for other warranty work. I am not very happy with the axle spacing on my RV and pointed that out to them and got a big shrug. Not only are they too close together, the space is different between front to middle and middle to back. There doesn't seem to be any alignment issues. This doesn't seem like something that would be done by machine. If there is a known issue with crossing components, that would give me some ammo.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The switch from Lippert to Dexter took place in mid August 2010.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I dont think all brand lines were switched, I'd check with Heartland customer service. Have your vin# handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

Camping World is about the last place I would trust to cut and weld on my frame. I would contact heartland Customer Service and explain the situation. I would then get permission from them to bring it to a truck trailer suspension shop to have it checked out by people that do this for a living. When you get the real results, contact Heartland with your findings. If it is off I am sure they would authorize getting the work done there. JMHO.
Don

danemayer

Dan, are you saying that HL has switched axles on all brands to Dexter? Just wondering because my new Cyclone is at the dealer for other warranty work. I am not very happy with the axle spacing on my RV and pointed that out to them and got a big shrug. Not only are they too close together, the space is different between front to middle and middle to back. There doesn't seem to be any alignment issues. This doesn't seem like something that would be done by machine. If there is a known issue with crossing components, that would give me some ammo.

There was a switch on Landmarks just when my rig was built. I don't think it was on all brands and I don't know of anyone else affected, and it wouldn't be more than a few Landmarks built in Aug 2010 in any case.

If you have Dexter axles, Dexter has docs on their website that show the proper hanger and axle spacing. Lippert might also have this info available.

Measure the hanger spacing (not the axles) and if you find something that seems unusual, call Lippert. Lippert warrants the frame (and hangers) and if they made it wrong, they should stand behind it.

caissiel

Rieco-Titan makes the adjusters that I will surely use if need comes.

I had to make my own aligment hangers using typical same idea and did a fine job on my previous trailer that was wearing tires. It was off alignment by 5/8", but was not Lippert. I took the Idea from heavy truck trailers that have axle alignment equipment installed on every trailer.
I believe they have a jig to install the hangers because the shocks supports are completely at the wrong place, actually set up for under the axle spring plate location.

Below is the place to purchase the hanger alignment kit.

http://tweetys.com/correct-track-2-bolt-on-trailer-alignment-and-level-system.aspx

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
According to a press release, reported by RV Pro magazine: The Correct Track system from The Mobile Outfitters will now come standard on all Heartland RV fifth wheel units.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
According to a press release, reported by RV Pro magazine: The Correct Track system from The Mobile Outfitters will now come standard on all Heartland RV fifth wheel units.
This is correct. My dad has been seeing new Cyclones come in at CW with the welded in correct tracks. Rather then the bolt on setup.