My disc brakes paid for themselves today

MrRvGypsy

Coming into Ashville on I26 I had 2 bone head car drives slam on their brakes to allow a merge challenged moron to join the traffic flow. The cars moving down the I26 at 60 mile per hour slowed suddenly to almost a total stop because the merging driver got panicked and also came to a stop at the end of the merge ramp.
The 2 cars which almost totally stopped in the middle of the I26 had just merged at the previous interchange and had not accelerated to the traffice flow speed so I was already slowing down as I was in the right lane at this point. I end up having to slam on the brakes to the degree that I believe both the truck and trailer wheels locked up and were sliding. Our leather recliners slammed into our dining table chairs pushing everything forward.
I came within about 1 foot of hitting the rear end of the passenger car in front of me before they finally saw me in their rear view mirror started to accelerate forward again.
I am certain that without the disc brakes there would have been a chain reaction rear end collision involving myself and 2 cars in front of me a tleast. I am not sure how close the motorhome behind me ended up but I think he saw the problem developing and slowed down in anticipation.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

WOW glad you guys are ok and lived to tell about it. I have already had a few close calls.
I would say in all of my Mod's that is very close to my #1
As far as safety it definitely my #1 Mod/upgrade
Best $1650 I've​ spent

And like I've heard so many others say
"l will never own another RV without disc brakes" .....
I definitely am a believer.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Power-Stroke

wow glad you guys are ok and lived to tell about it. I have already had a few close calls.
I would say in all of my mod's that is very close to my #1
as far as safety it definitely my #1 mod/upgrade
best $1650 i've​ spent

and like i've heard so many others say
"l will never own another rv without disc brakes" .....
I definitely am a believer.

Jerrod

sent from my xt1585 using tapatalk

amen!!!

carl.swoyer

Two weeks ago it took me 4 days to get from Florida to New Hampshire because of of the traffic and so many accidents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
20 minutes after I took this shot we had our big white knuckle stop:

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

Coming down a mountain road from Estes Park, CO at around 30 mph, it had just started raining lightly and as I came around a blind curve (rocky face on one side and a 50 foot drop to the Big Thompson River on the other) the trailer that had been about 15 truck-trailer lengths in front of me was dead stopped waiting for someone to make a left turn into a driveway.

I $#!+ you not . . . somehow I stopped less than five (5) inches from the back of that trailer.

As much as I loved my old Dodge . . . that was the last time it ever pulled our previous Heartland Trail Runner.

Disc brakes are on my bucket list of upgrades to our Prowler . . . maybe when we get some axle work done we'll have those installed at the same time!

BigGuy82

All rigs should have disc brakes from the factory, period. For those who complain about the price, I say risking your own life is your prerogative. Risking someone else's life is not, so if you can't stop and cream someone, who's that on? Why the government hasn't made this mandatory is beyond me. It makes the road safer for everyone. If the extra grand or so for factory installed disc brakes is a financial burden, buy a tent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobca1

All rigs should have disc brakes from the factory, period. For those who complain about the price, I say risking your own life is your prerogative. Risking someone else's life is not, so if you can't stop and cream someone, who's that on? Why the government hasn't made this mandatory is beyond me. It makes the road safer for everyone. If the extra grand or so for factory installed disc brakes is a financial burden, buy a tent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep I agree, maybe not for smaller trailers, but for 10k+ disc brakes should be required there is just no comparison. The original drum brakes on my twin axle Cyclone were worthless and could barely feel them. Be sure to make this your first upgrade! You will not regret it. I feel so much safer driving CA freeways now.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yep I agree, maybe not for smaller trailers, but for 10k+ disc brakes should be required there is just no comparison. The original drum brakes on my twin axle Cyclone were worthless and could barely feel them. Be sure to make this your first upgrade! You will not regret it. I feel so much safer driving CA freeways now.

Our Prowler weighs roughly 9800 lbs when loaded, so is light weight compared to a lot of the bigger 5'vers, and so far the drum brakes have worked great . . . I have no complaints!

However, since we are in Colorado and travel the mountains a lot, I'm looking at the added braking and security of the disc brakes.

I see them in our future Prowler upgrade plans!