My first Blowmax blowout: photo

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
99softailcustom-Welcome to the forum!
For the most reliable information on wheel and tire compatibility and correct tire pressure for your purpose, a call to the manufacturers will be your best source. Websites will provide a customer service phone number and I've found them to be very willing to provide information. There are lots of opinions and "experts" but the manufacturer's information is the best you can get.

Boostable

Ordered Goodyear G614 tires yesterday, and surprisingly, none available in central Florida. They are coming from Arizona. My local Discount Tire store has given me excellent service over the years, so I wanted to give them the business. The salesman said they had many calls about them. I did not want to switch wheels, since my RW415 came with 6 nice aluminum wheels. Anybody else with trouble locating tires from local dealers?

Where abouts are you located in C. Florida? Im in Seminole county and we just got our 4114 and are already considering changing the tires (maybe wheels).

Jack

blong

We just picked up 2015 4100 and factory ordered the Goodyear G614's and they came on the exact same rims as you have,16x6J, so if the factory installs them on these rims you should be good to go.

Jim.Allison

The absolute best information you can get is casted on the back of the wheel. Never assume that they are all the same, check each wheel for its ratings and part numbers. In the case of my OEM Wheels there were styles that looked the same but had a much lower rating. Mine all matched but you can never tell the history of a rig before you took possession even if it is new. A wacky salesman could put the wrong wheel on, and an inexperienced kid working in the service department could have installed a wheel based on looks or even at the factory. They might have even taken delivery of a pallet of mounted tires and wheels with one little redheaded step child on the pallet. I guess I'm really in agreement, You should check to see that all wheels are matching and that you are talking to the manufacturer about what you KNOW to be the same wheel. Check the spare for its specs also. I was noticing that my spare has the data stamped in a very conspicuous location.

haulinem

I would never discourage you from the G114 in favor of the G614. But if you have been being served by the G614, then you have a serious decision to make. But no matter what, the 17.5 inch rims open the whole world of favorable tires to you. The G114 being only one. There are many similar to the G114 but none of them are 75 MPH tires. Infact the Michelin is a 63 MPH tire which I find odd.

Yes I know about the stories, most people say that they were aired up and in good shape and they drove them at 65 mph and no more. I said it too. So I believe most of that, but in the end it is only anecdotal evidence. But when It comes to TowMax there is a LOT of anecdotal evidence.

Actually, the Sumitomo ST 727 is another 17.5" tire with a 75 MPH rating.

Jim.Allison

I can testify that I feel like I have more stability and control. If you are asking if the tires are too firm for the delicate rig. My answer is no. I printed the load/pressure chart for the G114 and taped it to my basement door. I have the tires inflated to 115 psi cold (max is 125 psi). 115 is still too much, but I'm going to weigh my rig soon and I will adjust then. You do not have to sacrifice any ride performance to have the right tire. I have 2500 miles on them and I felt very comfortable pulling with them, in all respects. I could not be happy. I did notice however that I had to increase my gain to compensate for the heavier tire.

jim how do those truck tires ride.

jimpav

OK......decision time........ I can get either the Sailun or the G614 at my local truck stop. The Sailun (4) are $800. the G614 (4) are $1365. The delta is about $565. My dual axles are rated @ 6000 lbs apiece, and my wheels are 3750@110.
I want to have a 125% margin on the heaviest wheel/tire weight, which is 3000 lbs. That matches perfectly with any of these tires.
Which tire brand of the two mentioned has had the best history of overall performance?
Which would you buy??
I am also wondering what the tire weight difference is between the current Tomax, and either of these tire brands.

I can testify that I feel like I have more stability and control. If you are asking if the tires are too firm for the delicate rig. My answer is no. I printed the load/pressure chart for the G114 and taped it to my basement door. I have the tires inflated to 115 psi cold (max is 125 psi). 115 is still too much, but I'm going to weigh my rig soon and I will adjust then. You do not have to sacrifice any ride performance to have the right tire. I have 2500 miles on them and I felt very comfortable pulling with them, in all respects. I could not be happy. I did notice however that I had to increase my gain to compensate for the heavier tire.
Gain? That surprises me! I pull with 2013 F450 and my gain is already maxed out. I don't think the camper brakes very hard as is, though it is only my second rig and I don't think it is different from my first- a little tiny 5er that also didn't brake particularly strong. I guess I kinda assumed that all of us were running max on the gain.

But as I consider making the move to either the G rated or the $ rated 17.5s it is good to know the $ rated don't ride like bricks.

Jim.Allison

I hate to admit it but it took me a long time to get a grip on the whole gain thing. I studied the subject and decided I would run at 6, but when I picked it up, the tech helped me hook up my rig, asked me what gain I thought I was going to run, I told him I was going to start at 6 and take it from there. He said that he delivers and that he runs at 4. I accepted that he knew what he was talking about. I got good breaking at 4, but clearly 6 to 8 was where I needed to be for solid breaking, Infact I was running at 7 when a road rager slammed on his brakes in front of an 18 wheeler in an attempt to kill us all. I almost rear ended the truck because of that. I got on my brakes at 65 MPH and was very proud about how that rig bleed off speed so well, I could not even tell that the rig was back there we stopped so quickly. But after a few more trips, I have discovered that I like 8 for all around driving. With these tires, I now I'm running 8 to 10. So its been a learning experience for me and I can't really state that I increased the gain because of the tires or because I'm more familiar with pulling the rig. But what I do know, is I had no problems on my last trip from San Antonio to Chama New Mexico, I pulled some good grades and descended them too, the truck and fiver worked well together. And from what I have gathered your you should not detect that the trailer is dragging the truck to a stop nor should the truck be stopping the trailer, I get that at 7, 8, 9, 10.

What was evident about the "BlowMax" change out is that tilt you get on a rough road where the rig seems to kind of bounce from one side to the other, is gone. Your suspension is handling your load not the soft sidewalls of your tires. So your control is positive and firm.

Then there is the MOMMA test. On our last 2500 mile adventure, momma commented that she noticed that her dishes seemed to stay put, which was a source of complaint from her previous to the change over.

Gain? That surprises me! I pull with 2013 F450 and my gain is already maxed out. I don't think the camper brakes very hard as is, though it is only my second rig and I don't think it is different from my first- a little tiny 5er that also didn't brake particularly strong. I guess I kinda assumed that all of us were running max on the gain.

But as I consider making the move to either the G rated or the $ rated 17.5s it is good to know the $ rated don't ride like bricks.

Jim.Allison

i dont have the weight data, but you can be that the Sailuns and the Goodyears are within a couple of pounds of each other X lbs = to y load. And they are about 50 lbs and towmax are 37 lbs.

As far as price is concerned, you can change that delta by shopping a little. But you will never beat the price of the Sailuns with a Goodyear price, all you can do is decide you want the goodyears and pursue them until you get the price you want. You have to make the decision about value vs. price.

In the free enterprise system, the sale occurs where value to the customer = price. No seller leaves money on the table. The reason that the Sailuns are less than the Goodyears is because that is their value otherwise they would be the same price or higher than the Goodyears. I would be looking for 5 for 1300, but there are also some Goodyear rebates around.

OK......decision time........ I can get either the Sailun or the G614 at my local truck stop. The Sailun (4) are $800. the G614 (4) are $1365. The delta is about $565. My dual axles are rated @ 6000 lbs apiece, and my wheels are 3750@110.
I want to have a 125% margin on the heaviest wheel/tire weight, which is 3000 lbs. That matches perfectly with any of these tires.
Which tire brand of the two mentioned has had the best history of overall performance?
Which would you buy??
I am also wondering what the tire weight difference is between the current Tomax, and either of these tire brands.

Jim.Allison

I did a little shopping for you, the 614 at $1300 is better than the going price at most tire sellers. My obviously prejudice view, would ask you teh question, who do you trust to bond rubber to a tire carcass? Goodyear Tire and Rubber? or A Chinese manufacturer that distributes through Dynamic Tire of BlowMAx fame?

Which would you buy??

mobilcastle

These Sailons came on the rig from the factory. The build date was in 09. The tires have about 15 to 20K on them and they look like new. I hope they are still available when I need tires. I will buy them in a minute. I believe others on this forum also have them from the factory. The Heartland factory is now again putting them on some new rigs. I aways say each to his own. Hope everyone has good luck with whatever tire you run.

Hey Mobil are you running them now! If so care to offer a mini- review? They are intriguing because the price is Very attractive compared to the other G rated tires.