My Heartland experience

My Heartland Road Warrior Experience thus far..

So lets recap..

Purchase rv…………………………………………............…$ xx,xxx.xx
Purchase truck…………………………………..........……..$ xx,xxx.xx
Purchase toy for hauler (that will fit)………………..$ xx,xxx.xx
Everything else………………………………...........………$ x,xxx.xx

Total……………………………………………….............…….$ xxx,xxx.xx

3 months in my possession
3 months and counting not in my possession.

Entire summer missed.

I feel so bad for you reading that. Water was a concern of mine too when I bought my TT this year and I knew it had been on the lot for a while. Thankfully, it rained pretty heavily a few days before I picked it up so I was able to see if any water was inside when I picked it up... none was.

These dealers really are GARBAGE at any kind of support once you get your unit. I hope Heartland takes care of you and I'm following this thread to see the outcome. Good luck!

P.S. google "RV Lemon law in Texas" you may have some legal recourse if they start dragging their feet!

wiredog

Be sure to read the disclaimers included in the article, and then read your trailer warranty.

... to the extent permitted by applicable law, over and over....

depends on your states consumer protection levels.

Anyone can write anything they desire, doesn't mean it would hold up under scrutiny.

It is time to get aggressive with the RV manufacturers who do not perform good quality control.

I agree! It's not like we spent a couple thousand that we can just walk away from when things go bad.... these are HIGH DOLLAR items we are investing our hard earned money into!

meagle

I would like to see two things happen to the entire RV industry. The first would be a mirror image of Consumer Reports that focuses on the RV industry so customers could chose to purchase only those who make a high quality product. The second would be for the RV customer to get very aggressive in pursuit of the available state and federal lemon laws. A combination of both would make the manufactures either change their ways or disappear because they could not compete. It is ridiculous that an RV owner is not able to use their expensive unit for months due to problems that should not be there in the first place. A fairly new company, Augusta, has people buy direct from their factory. They have you stay on site for a few days in the RV so all of the "bugs" can be worked out. Their focus is on quality and making sure that when you take the unit from the factory all is in good working order. Hopefully we will other companies that will make a strong effort to have everything in good working order when it leaves their factory. It is time for a change!

danemayer

A fairly new company, Augusta, has people buy direct from their factory. They have you stay on site for a few days in the RV so all of the "bugs" can be worked out. Their focus is on quality and making sure that when you take the unit from the factory all is in good working order. Hopefully we will other companies that will make a strong effort to have everything in good working order when it leaves their factory. It is time for a change!

I guess we'll see if Augusta can get people to spend $30-40,000 extra for that extra quality. Their list pricing seems pretty high - the discounted pricing is still very, very high.

And I wonder, since they don't sell through dealers, who's going to provide warranty service after the direct factory sale? And will they have faster turnaround on repairs?

BigGuy82

I completely agree with this statement. The purchaser should not be responsible for identifying manufacturing defects when making a purchase. So far our Pioneer has been a good unit so far. I never imagined that I should have climbed on the roof and inspect the seems during the walk though. If it is that critical it should be done at the factory AND at the dealership by trained professionals prior to hitting the sales lot.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

This is just wishful thinking. When you buy a house, do you not do a thorough walkthrough? In fact, if you buy a house and don't have a professional inspector examine it before signing, you are asking for trouble and being irresponsible - many banks demand a professional inspection. When you buy a car, do you just take the keys from the dealer and drive away? Of course not - you inspect it, drive it and have them rub out every little smudge in the paint. RV purchasers need to get real - caveat emptor - it is YOUR job to inspect what you buy. Why is this any different than buying a house or a car? And, if you don't know what you are doing, get someone who does to help you OR spend two to four hours with the dealer asking every question you can think of (by the way, you don't have to walk the roof - any large dealer will have a lift) and before that read some stuff, so you at least have a clue what you are doing. I the case of an RV, you are spending 5 or 6 figures and you're not going to do (or have done by a third party) a thorough, top to bottom inspection???

Regarding how we all need to get tough on the RV industry and their admittedly weak warranty process, good luck. Consider this:

• as a voting bloc, RVer's are a tiny group and we are spread out. Do you think your politicians are going to waste their energy on legislation that delivers negligible results at the polls? If you don't vote for them because they wouldn't get tough on RV manufacturers, they won't miss your vote. In the overall scheme of things, this really is a tiny industry.
  • the manufacturer is seling all of their output (at least right now). Why would they extend the warranty and increase their costs when they are selling everything they can make?
  • remember that in addition to the disgruntled customers, there are also hundreds or thousands of satisfied customers who don't feel compelled to rally aroud the better warranty cause
  • this isn't a criticism of anyone's opinion - it's just the way it is

Here's how you can give yourself a real good chance at avoiding major problems:

• do your homework. Read everything you can get your hands on, visit forums before you buy, talk to other RVer's, go to shows, shop (interview) several dealers and believe your eyes when you shop. Many signs of shoddy workmanship can be readily identified if you look.
  • when you do buy, do a thorough top-to-bottom inspection before accepting delivery of the coach. Don't rely on the dealer - his motivation is to turn a profit with you and move on to another sale. Do the PDI with the dealer but don't rely on their word.
  • if there is a warranty problem, don't go emotionally overboard working with the repair facility. They really don't care what your opinion of the manufacturer is or the general state of the RV industry. They just want to fix you and get you out - beating on them serves no purpose and in fact, making them angry may delay your repair
  • try fixing the easy stuff yourself. If you present a long list of minor warranty things for the dealer to fix, the big ones will just take longer (ie - if a lock sticks, put a little silcone or graphite in it)
  • give the manufacturer a shot to make it right and when you deal with them, treat them as you wish to be treated
  • if you do get a lemon (and it certainly can still happen to even the most savvy buyer), rely on lemon laws or any other remedy that your jurisdiction allows

Of course you all won't agree with evrything I just said, but hoepfully you can take something away from it that will ease your problems and make the RV lifestyle more fun for you. If you go to bed letting this stuff eat at you, you're not going to have a lot of fun.

I'm just sayin' ...

meagle

I spoke to an Augusta representative and asked the same question regarding repairs. You chose the repair shop that you are comfortable with and Augusta will work with them. You are not locked into a specific dealership. As far as "extra quality" is concerned it should be a standard on any RV. Look at automobiles, many of the most dependable vehicles on the road are certainly not the most expensive. I, for one, am certainly will to pay a little extra for a unit that has had good quality control at the factory. I absolutely do not believe that it is an extra $30-$40,000 to have good checks and balances. When a unit leaves the factory it should have the plumbing pressure tested, the hydraulics thoroughly examined, slides properly adjusted with no gaps (as we have seen complaints of this on this forum), roof leak tested, and an adequate underbelly seal. It is not too much to ask.

danemayer

I, for one, am certainly will to pay a little extra for a unit that has had good quality control at the factory. I absolutely do not believe that it is an extra $30-$40,000 to have good checks and balances.

Looking at the Augusta website, it does look like you'd have to pay an extra $30-$40,000 to find out how good the Augusta actually is.

meagle

Take Augusta completely out of the picture...The RV industry as a whole has poor quality control. It is evidenced by the trouble so many consumers are talking about throughout the Heartland Owners Group website. Other owner groups have the same complaints. It is time for the RV industry to improve. As far as the Augusta Luxe fifth is concerned it is a higher level unit than the Landmark so it will cost more. When it comes time to replace my Landmark I will certainly explore other companies and chose the best QUALITY

Power247

This is just wishful thinking. When you buy a house, do you not do a thorough walkthrough? In fact, if you buy a house and don't have a professional inspector examine it before signing, you are asking for trouble and being irresponsible - many banks demand a professional inspection. When you buy a car, do you just take the keys from the dealer and drive away? Of course not - you inspect it, drive it and have them rub out every little smudge in the paint. RV purchasers need to get real - caveat emptor - it is YOUR job to inspect what you buy. Why is this any different than buying a house or a car? And, if you don't know what you are doing, get someone who does to help you OR spend two to four hours with the dealer asking every question you can think of (by the way, you don't have to walk the roof - any large dealer will have a lift) and before that read some stuff, so you at least have a clue what you are doing. I the case of an RV, you are spending 5 or 6 figures and you're not going to do (or have done by a third party) a thorough, top to bottom inspection???

Regarding how we all need to get tough on the RV industry and their admittedly weak warranty process, good luck. Consider this:

• as a voting bloc, RVer's are a tiny group and we are spread out. Do you think your politicians are going to waste their energy on legislation that delivers negligible results at the polls? If you don't vote for them because they wouldn't get tough on RV manufacturers, they won't miss your vote. In the overall scheme of things, this really is a tiny industry.
  • the manufacturer is seling all of their output (at least right now). Why would they extend the warranty and increase their costs when they are selling everything they can make?
  • remember that in addition to the disgruntled customers, there are also hundreds or thousands of satisfied customers who don't feel compelled to rally aroud the better warranty cause
  • this isn't a criticism of anyone's opinion - it's just the way it is

Here's how you can give yourself a real good chance at avoiding major problems:

• do your homework. Read everything you can get your hands on, visit forums before you buy, talk to other RVer's, go to shows, shop (interview) several dealers and believe your eyes when you shop. Many signs of shoddy workmanship can be readily identified if you look.
  • when you do buy, do a thorough top-to-bottom inspection before accepting delivery of the coach. Don't rely on the dealer - his motivation is to turn a profit with you and move on to another sale. Do the PDI with the dealer but don't rely on their word.
  • if there is a warranty problem, don't go emotionally overboard working with the repair facility. They really don't care what your opinion of the manufacturer is or the general state of the RV industry. They just want to fix you and get you out - beating on them serves no purpose and in fact, making them angry may delay your repair
  • try fixing the easy stuff yourself. If you present a long list of minor warranty things for the dealer to fix, the big ones will just take longer (ie - if a lock sticks, put a little silcone or graphite in it)
  • give the manufacturer a shot to make it right and when you deal with them, treat them as you wish to be treated
  • if you do get a lemon (and it certainly can still happen to even the most savvy buyer), rely on lemon laws or any other remedy that your jurisdiction allows

Of course you all won't agree with evrything I just said, but hoepfully you can take something away from it that will ease your problems and make the RV lifestyle more fun for you. If you go to bed letting this stuff eat at you, you're not going to have a lot of fun.

I'm just sayin' ...
Make no mistake, I enjoy my RV lifestyle very much. I have enjoyed every trip out with every camper we have owned, even when things haven't gone as expected. I didn't join this forum or make my statement with the expectation that everyone or anyone would agree with me. It is obvious we have different expectations when making purchases and I can appreciate your perspective. 👍 🍻

Greg

BigGuy82

Looking at the Augusta website, it does look like you'd have to pay an extra $30-$40,000 to find out how good the Augusta actually is.

For that kind of dough (the Luxe fiver + the truck), I might as well drop another 50K - 75K and get an all electric (as in absolutely no PITA propane) Class A diesel pusher. I know I could do that because I almost did.

meagle

What you said is true. I just purchased a new GMC duramax dually with the Denali package. When you add the cost of the truck and Landmark it is pushing a nice motor home. I considered it, but with how I use my truck and fifth wheel I thought it was the best for my purposes. I live in an Alpine community at a fairly high elevation and in the winter I rent a RV space down the mountain about 70 miles away for my "get out of the cold" place. From there I go to baseball spring training. I use it a lot but is sits on a space a lot more than it travels. Regarding the earlier comments. All the consumer wants is a dependable unit that comes from the factory with no hidden or glaring problems that should have found and dealt with before it was transported to the dealer. I really like my Landmark, but had to deal with a lot of problems that i should not have had to. Without question it was due to poor quality control at the factory.

BigGuy82

Make no mistake, I enjoy my RV lifestyle very much. I have enjoyed every trip out with every camper we have owned, even when things haven't gone as expected. I didn't join this forum or make my statement with the expectation that everyone or anyone would agree with me. It is obvious we have different expectations when making purchases and I can appreciate your perspective.  

Greg

Just curious - where did you get the beer emoji? It doesn't show up in my Advanced menu of them.

Power247

Just curious - where did you get the beer emoji? It doesn't show up in my Advanced menu of them.
🍻🍺🍹. They're in the list of emojis as part of my Google keyboard on my tablet

Greg

BigGuy82

Oh my Martha, it seems that maybe you have a greater insight than us mere mortals. Please share.

Well, I don't know about Martha's insight, but she did ask a valid question. What do you believe not to be covered by the written warranty that is covered by an "implied warranty". The actual warranty seems to be pretty clear to me, whether or not we like the terms. If a buyer doesn't like those terms, they can certainly decide to walk away from the deal.

Rollin_Free

☕️📽🛩👀
Whow there's a bunch of them. Never knew they were at the bottom of my iPad keyboard. Amazing thanks

Power247

☕️📽🛩👀
Whow there's a bunch of them. Never knew they were at the bottom of my iPad keyboard. Amazing thanks
Glad I could contribute something to this fine forum👍. LOL!!!

Greg