My next 5ver will have...

kb0zke

"Did not know they were an option." We talked with a couple of people at the Rally this summer who had new rigs on order or in production who didn't know about some of the options that were available to them. No one seemed to know if the dealers didn't mention them, if the dealers didn't know about them, or what the reason for the lack of communication was. The general consensus was that if you want something, ask! If the dealer doesn't know, call Heartland. The gentleman leading the tour I was on made it very clear that they want to hear from the owners, and that they will do their best to build what the customer wants.

The other side of that last phrase, though, is that those of us who own Heartland products are not the factory's customers. The dealers are their only customers, and we are the dealers' customers. The dealers may want the factory to keep the costs down so that the prices we pay the dealers are somewhat lower. Back when Henry Ford said "You can have any color you want as long as you want black" made for a less expensive product, but at the cost of individuality. Heartland explained, this summer, that all of their trailers now have the same vinyl flooring material because it is cheaper for them to have only one roll of the stuff than two rolls of two different kinds. Of course, there were those who said they wished that all of the trailers would have the other kind of flooring because that's what they like.

As for what I'd like to have in our next rig, I'd like to see a signed inspection list attached to every trailer, from the cheapest mpg to the most expensive Landmark, with what was inspected and whether or not it passed inspection. Anything that fails would have the repairman's signature by the failure mark, saying that it has now been fixed. I'm guessing that something like that is already done, but that it stays within the factory. I'd like to see the original paper go with the trailer.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
"Did not know they were an option." We talked with a couple of people at the Rally this summer who had new rigs on order or in production who didn't know about some of the options that were available to them. No one seemed to know if the dealers didn't mention them, if the dealers didn't know about them, or what the reason for the lack of communication was. The general consensus was that if you want something, ask! If the dealer doesn't know, call Heartland. The gentleman leading the tour I was on made it very clear that they want to hear from the owners, and that they will do their best to build what the customer wants.

The other side of that last phrase, though, is that those of us who own Heartland products are not the factory's customers. The dealers are their only customers, and we are the dealers' customers. The dealers may want the factory to keep the costs down so that the prices we pay the dealers are somewhat lower. Back when Henry Ford said "You can have any color you want as long as you want black" made for a less expensive product, but at the cost of individuality. Heartland explained, this summer, that all of their trailers now have the same vinyl flooring material because it is cheaper for them to have only one roll of the stuff than two rolls of two different kinds. Of course, there were those who said they wished that all of the trailers would have the other kind of flooring because that's what they like.

As for what I'd like to have in our next rig, I'd like to see a signed inspection list attached to every trailer, from the cheapest mpg to the most expensive Landmark, with what was inspected and whether or not it passed inspection. Anything that fails would have the repairman's signature by the failure mark, saying that it has now been fixed. I'm guessing that something like that is already done, but that it stays within the factory. I'd like to see the original paper go with the trailer.

Very well thought out David. Especially the last paragraph.

Birchwood

Just make sure you order the options that would be expensive add ons once the coach
is constructed.Options like dual pane windows and full body gel coat would be expensive
add ons.If you are unsure of options like the 2nd A/C or fireplace they can be easily
installed.
I must mention that the only thing we really miss from our house is the dishwasher.

plumberdude

Our next 5ver will have a 4ft bathtub with it's own water heater! In-floor heating!

Whatelse would a plumber ask for! Sure would like the dishwasher, who needs an oven!

Plumberdudes-DW

dalspot

Funny thing is, when we were shopping for our unit, looking at all manufacturers the location of the tv and the ease of viewing it from both the couch and recliners was a big deal. We have yet to watch the blasted TV, and really have decided there are too many other things to do to occupy our time! But we still wouldn't trade our floor plan for any other!

The couch in the rear was a big item for us. We really were considering the rear entertainment center and after a long process decided that sitting in our recliners across from the Television was a must. The RE center would be hard for us both to see the television.

funntheson

kb0zke;197447As for what I'd like to have in our next rig said:
One from the factory, and one from the dealer would be great! The dealer had one, but I question how thorough they went through the trailer. They should both use the same form.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Again, WOW! Great comments!

I found this on a blog by Seth Godin: "Consider what Philip Crosby realized a generation ago: Quality is free. It's cheaper to design marketing quality into the product than it is to advertise the product. It's cheaper to design manufacturing quality into a factory than it is to inspect it in after the product has already been built."

E