My PDI results and a few observations

kdubinwa

Yesterday I performed my Bighorn 3160EL PDI at Pete's RV in Indiana. I'm sharing this just in case it helps others.

My PDI took most of the day and kudus to Pete's for setting me up with power, water, etc in a location I could run everything and exercise all slides and awnings. I tested and inspected everything I could think of after priming my checklist with some PDI lists found here.

I climbed all over the beast including roof, all storage compartments, behind UDC and every nook and cranny inside. I ran and inspected all appliances. I operated all fresh and waste tank plumbing. A few things were difficult to confirm they really worked like the tank heaters, but most everything else had a verifiable outcome.

I'll just list the specific problems/issues found:

• Missing fantastic vent in bathroom
  • Outdoor shower fixture leaked badly inside the valve assembly
  • Refrigerator (PolarMax 18 CU) exterior trim not secured
  • Missing end cap on MCD roller shade

That folks is a pretty short list of problems and my build was loaded with most options.

The missing fantastic vent option was a mystery, but the dealer will install locally. After passing Heartland's audit bay testing its hard to imagine how the outdoor shower leak went unnoticed. Perhaps this is because the leak only was present when either the hot or cold valve was open. The trailer only traveled 100 miles to Pete's so its doubtful this was caused by road quakes. The other items were very minor as you can tell.

Not bad, huh? I wanted to share a more positive review for Heartland's initial product quality. Due to travel I won't be using the trailer until March so that is when a more thorough investigation will commence. Who knows what else lurks, but not too shabby a start.

A few other mixed observations from my visit:

The rubber roof membrane could have been installed better -- a little loose in some areas and I noted a few small bumps that might have been caused by debris lying under the membrane. I don't think the membrane is compromised, but it could have been a cleaner install.

The latest upgrade of overhead lighting for both the island and dining table were both huge improvements to what I saw previously.

Heating was a bit uneven as some others have reported. The bathroom vent needs to have a baffle added to redirect very strong flow elsewhere.

The Samsung TVs have been swapped out for the budget Insignia brand. Time will tell if this is an issue. I could not test satellite wiring but the reception for OTA was excellent.

It's possible the outdoor shower leak could have concealed a separate leak behind the UDC. I tried my best to evaluate all fresh water plumbing runs separately after trying to clean up the excess water from the outdoor shower valve. Pete's is going to re-verify fresh water plumbing behind the UDC after the outdoor shower valve assembly is replaced.

As reported by others the MCD day/night shades are back so that is good news.

Doing business with Pete's RV was a pleasure.

Hope this helps.
Kurt

TxCowboy

Which model of the Fantastic Vent are they installing? Try to get the 7350 and have them install the remote near the light switches. We just had the 7350 installed in our SOB bumper pull and it is awesome! Our LM came with another version of the Fantastic Vent that has lesser capabilities but is still awesome. :)

Oregon_Camper

The latest upgrade of overhead lighting for both the island and dining table were both huge improvements to what I saw previously.

If you have a picture, I'd love to see the new lighting. The drop down pendant lighting over our dinette is the one thing that really bugs me about our 3160EL.

Glad to hear your PDI went well. Congrats on a GREAT Bighorn. Yea, I'm a little biased. :)

pegmikef

Thanks. It is really nice to hear a positive report on an initial delivery after reading so many downers!

kdubinwa

Which model of the Fantastic Vent are they installing? Try to get the 7350 and have them install the remote near the light switches. We just had the 7350 installed in our SOB bumper pull and it is awesome! Our LM came with another version of the Fantastic Vent that has lesser capabilities but is still awesome. :)

Pete's RV is requesting the top model with the wireless remote because the labor to place a wired control in the wall is significant. We shall see what Heartland approves. BTW, the other unit installed in the kitchen was full featured inc rain detection with a wired wall control.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a picture, I'd love to see the new lighting. The drop down pendant lighting over our dinette is the one thing that really bugs me about our 3160EL.

Glad to hear your PDI went well. Congrats on a GREAT Bighorn. Yea, I'm a little biased. :)

Here you go, over island and over dining table:

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 129

kdubinwa

No yet. Got to wrap up a 3 week cruise here in the south pacific first.... I know....

Have you had a chance to use this at night? I am interested in knowing how much light it casts on the table. Our pendant fixture doesn't do a very good job of lighting the table.