Nabo's Adventure to Alaska 2017

dlw930

Great photos and a memory to last a lifetime! Hope the weather's as good when we're there next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
David/Donna- Hope so cuz it was amazing to see. We were one of the "lucky 30%" who got to see the mountain. We are pulling out tomorrow (Friday) for Anchorage.

Thursday June 29th - wash day. Yes, today was laundry day so everything from dog bed to towels got washed. This campground only has 4 washers/dryers so it was a little bit of a juggle getting everything done. We did run back down the canyon one more time to do some shopping and picture taking. Drove up to the top of one ridge which has a hotel and had to laugh at all their signs. Also ventured out to Healy and found this great looking airplane. The camper is going to miss this view.
IMG_4894.jpg IMG_4896.jpg IMG_4898.jpg IMG_4905.jpg IMG_4917.jpg IMG_4920.jpg IMG_4921.jpg IMG_4916.jpg IMG_4918.jpg IMG_4931.jpg

LBR

Thanx for your thread filled with all the pictures.....even the sideways ones...lol.

Alaska had never been on our scope for vacationing and these pics open up a whole different outlook from us down below in Oregon...maybe one day we will visit that wonderful state!

Stay safe....enjoy.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Nathan and Byrd, Keep the journal and pictures coming. I can almost feel the cool down here and we need some of it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Anchorage already? Did you swing in by Talkeetna? Are you planning any time around Wasilla, Palmer, Eagle River...? At the rate you're going you'll be on your way home in a week...

Nabo

Friday June 30th - 1/2 a year has gone by. Today we traveled from Denali NP to Anchorage. Route 3 was, on the most part, good so we made pretty good time. The clouds were amazing playing in and out of the mountain range all the way down. A couple of interesting building were along the way. And WOW - back in heavy traffic. Haven't seen heavy traffic in about 5 weeks so this is an adjustment. We are in Golden Nugget campground which I would give maybe a C to C+. Very tight sites that are way too short. They wouldn't give us 50 amp sites unless we were staying for extended time. We also had hydraulic problems on the camper's LevelUp system. One slide has been giving us problems so after a conversation with our dealer, Nathan found the main hydraulic line had blown the inner liner causing it to not hold pressure. It was a matter of time before this line would have blown externally. So off to a shop that makes hydraulic lines. Hopefully problem is fixed.
IMG_4948.jpg
IMG_4943.jpg IMG_4970.jpg IMG_4977.jpg IMG_4992.jpg IMG_5010.jpg IMG_5014.jpg IMG_5016.jpg IMG_4996.jpg IMG_5033.jpg IMG_5046.jpg

Lyle - we will be in and around Anchorage and Palmer for a couple of days so we plan on see Wasilla. We are meeting a friend who lives in Eagle River who I used to teach horseback riding lessons to and take her to horse shows.

Glad everyone is enjoying the pics. If ya get tired of them, just let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

Nathan and Byrd, Keep the journal and pictures coming. I can almost feel the cool down here and we need some of it.

I'll start blowing some cooler air down to ya. Hope it gets to ya soon.

travelin2

Rt 3 from Denali to south of Anchorage is by far likely the best road in the state. Have to keep it so for all the land tour buses that run from Whittier to Fairbanks.
We didn't stay where you are, reviews told us not to.
MUCH to see and do in Anchorage. Take the tour bus ride from the visitors center.

Last edited:

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I am flowing your trip an really enjoying your pictures you are posting, one question what are you using as a camera?

Nabo

I am flowing your trip an really enjoying your pictures you are posting, one question what are you using as a camera?

I have a Canon TI1. It does great bouncing down the road. I'm sorry about the sideways pictures but its the way the forum post pics that I took holding the camera up/down.

Saturday July 1st - Nathan and I had a wonderful day spending time with a friend who we hadn't seen since the late 70's. I used to teach/coach horseback riding lesson to her as she would spend the summers with us, showing on the Carolina circuit. As it turned out, Nathan, being a civil engineer, has a lot in common with the Kinneys in that they own an engineering firm in Eagle River. Tomorrow we get back to being a tourist, checking out Anchorage.

Nabo

Sunday July 2nd - what an yucky day. It started raining last night and hasn't stopped. We did do a couple of things today but because of the weather, I didn't take any pictures. Tomorrow we are moving over to Palmer AK for a couple more days before heading down to the coast. Most exciting thing was the 3.7 M earthquake this afternoon but we didn't feel it. Ah well.

MTPockets

Is Skagway on your agenda? If not you should consider. The drive over was the most awesome ever. Skagway is a National Monument and a nice RV park in town. We stayed a few days and took a one day fast boat tour down to Juneau. Another awesome trip seeing more Eagles in one place than you can imagine, sea lions, otters, whales.... a must do one day round trip. You have about 3 hrs in Juneau... Skagway was actually a high point of our trip.

Nabo

Is Skagway on your agenda?

Yes Skagway is on our route but still a couple of weeks out.

Monday July 3rd - another rainy day in Alaska. Today we moved from Anchorage to Palmer for a couple of days, a trip of only 45 miles. After getting set-up, we went to Wasilla. Interesting little town but a busy one as it's the 6th largest city in Alaska. A trip to the Iditarod Trail Race Headquarters had a very informative film about the current day race and the importance/why of it in the beginning. A family was there who's sons ran in this year's race (held in March), coming in 7th, 11th and 21st. All of them were in the money in that the race pays up to 30 places. Then we found this little engine in Palmer and on the way to the campground, this lady moose.
IMG_5054.jpg IMG_5056.jpg IMG_5058.jpg IMG_5060.jpg IMG_5061.jpg IMG_5062.jpg

Nabo

Tuesday July 4th - Happy Independence Day. Today we wandered down some roads that are off the beaten path (for us) but finding some of the local's fishing/camping spots. Then off to the musk ox farm. We ended up having supper at a local spot called The Noisy Goose. Oh, we are camping at Mountain View RV Park in Palmer. Interesting little place, ya ring a bell at the office to check in and they tell ya to go pick a spot. I came back to tell him which site we were in and was told I didn't have to do that, it was ok. It's only 30 amp/full hookups and could use a mowing of the sites. We are in a 4G, 3 bar area so we haven't tried their wifi. The bath house was toilet/shower combo rooms but you have to bring your own shower curtain - REALLY!!!. Would give it a C+/B-.
IMG_5157.jpg IMG_5068.jpg IMG_5073.jpg IMG_5072.jpg IMG_5074.jpg IMG_5080.jpg IMG_5083.jpg IMG_5087.jpg IMG_5088.jpg IMG_5090.jpg IMG_5117.jpg IMG_5098.jpg IMG_5131.jpg IMG_5132.jpg IMG_5144.jpg IMG_5145.jpg

davebennington

We stayed at that park. When we were there is when an earthquake woke us up at 6:30 in the morning. Enjoying your travels and pictures brings back memories.

dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In the menu of your T1i there should be a setting called 'Auto Rotate'.

This should fix your sideways issues.

Nabo

In the menu of your T1i there should be a setting called 'Auto Rotate'.

This should fix your sideways issues.

Thanks John for the suggestion but the auto rotate is already on and the pictures are saved correctly. The Heartland program, for some reason, turn those particular pictures sideways, no matter its from my phone or the camera. Several other folks have had the same problem.

Nabo

Wednesday July 5th - travel day to Homer AK. What a beautiful drive leaving Anchorage, following Turnagain Arm inlet over to the Kenai Valley, Kenai Lake & River and then Cook's Inlet down to Homer. Look at the mud flats. The tides in this area rise and fall over 30 feet - wow. We stopped at Cooper Landing (yes Anita and Hogan) for brunch. Very nice little niche in the valley. There was a haze over the water but the glaciers in the mountains were spectacular. Homer is the farthest western point of our journey - 7,042 miles so far from home (Fairbanks was the northern most point).
IMG_5173.jpg IMG_5182.jpg IMG_5203.jpg IMG_5233.jpg IMG_5246.jpg IMG_5275.jpg IMG_5285.jpg IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5304.jpg IMG_5306.jpg IMG_5317.jpg IMG_5322.jpg IMG_5324.jpg

MTPockets

In Homer, check out the Salty Dawg Saloon.. If nothing else but to see all the paper money tacked to the walls and ceilings...

travelin2

In Homer, check out the Salty Dawg Saloon.. If nothing else but to see all the paper money tacked to the walls and ceilings...

Yep, we let our note on the ceiling...
b27c79534a4040e36f661ea957939fc7.jpg