NAHR - Goshen Indiana things to do & sights to see

szewczyk_john

I'm still a working stiff and that means that the National Rally & pre rally is a vacation for my family. In lieu of beaches and amusement parks I need some ideas to keep everyone happy. There is not a ton of tourist attractions real close to the rally site. For those that have been there before and have more experience how about sharing some of that information. I am thinking that this thread can list ideas for others that are coming and offer day trips from the rally site out to different points of interest. While it is nice to see fellow owners and meet new ones, I need to get away for a day and do something different.

I am thinking about going to the Michigan International Speedway which is hosting the top 2 NASCAR touring series with the Xfinity series (old Busch/Nationwide) on 6/13 and Sprint Cup race on 6/14. I figure the track to be about 2 or 2.5 hours away from the rally site. Tickets are still available from the track ranging from $40 to $130.

How about it? What are you going to do while there that is not RV or rally oriented?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Try the Indiana Dunes State Park. Has gigantic sand dunes on the shores of Lake Michigan. Really neat. Also the RV Museum and there is a driving tour of the Amish areas around Elkhart/Goshen area. You can get the CD which tells you where to drive and what you are seeing. The CD is available at the Elkhart visitors center. Also there are many RV Manufactures to tour and there are several theaters that have shows detailing the history of the Amish. If you are into a drive either going to or coming from the Rally try going to Indianapolis (Speedway IN) where you can tour the Indianapolis 500 track and museum.

wdk450

I made it a point to make a day trip to nearby South Bend. I drove through the Notre Dame campus (there are daily tours of the campus and stadium), and decided to see the Studebaker museum. They have many examples of those fine cars produced in South Bend, along with examples of their WWII war production, and an extensive collection of horse carriages and wagons, including the carriage Lincoln rode to Ford's theater in. Actually, the Studebaker museum is part of a 3 museum complex.