Nail in tire question

skyguy

So I get ready to remount my G614, nice and squeaky clean, and I find a nail embedded not 1/2 from the outside edge of the tire.

Tire store tells me it's NOT repairable.

That sound right, you tire guys out there???

lwmcguir

So I get ready to remount my G614, nice and squeaky clean, and I find a nail embedded not 1/2 from the outside edge of the tire.

Tire store tells me it's NOT repairable.

That sound right, you tire guys out there???

I usually put a super sized patch designed for the edge of the tire and run them. However on a Coach I would put it on as the spare and keep it in mind it is only for short distances.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Normally, a sidewall or near sidewall repair is not recommended. TOOO much flexing. I would patch it and install as a spair. BTW, do you have any road hazzard warranty on your tires??

jnbhobe

Try a truck tire dealer,they have experience with heavy duty tires. As BOB said fix it and use it as a spare at it will have some use

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Something else we used to do in that situation in addition to an inside patch was to add an inner tube. As everyone else said, it get moved to the spare tire rack.

TireHobby

If the first place you took it for repair would not repair it because it's too close to the sidewall I suspect you will not find another dealer to patch it. Bite the bullet and get a new spare is the order of the day.

TireHobby

boxcar1511

trash the tire. One very expensive tire is a whole lot better than an hour on the side of road changing a tire, two weeks at a body shop repairing body panel's, a lifetime of the wife bashing you for being too cheap to replace the tire. Just my experience... been there done that... Trailer tires take a lot of abuse, the sidewalls go through alot of flexing and heat buildup, I really don't think a patch or plug would hold up under that preasure...

If you are running your G614 at the recommended 110 psig they don't flex much at all. Better have suspension for that. However I agree, don't run it on the coach as a permanent tire unless you have very good insurance.

jnbhobe

Well I don't know who to blame this on so I'll start at the top with Skyguy (AL) unless Bob will take the blame. We talked about a nail by the edge of the tread last week. Thursday while pulling into my camp I noticed the left rear tire looking low. Sure enough it had a nail on the edge of the tread. Took it to the Good Year store in town 20mi away tore it down to find a 3in nail. We intended to patch it till we opened thr tire up to find the point of the nail had wore a spot in the sidewall all the way to the steel cords.No new tire in stock, ( I had brought the spare with me). Would you belive they nad a used 614 on the rack that was as good as my tires. $50.00 for a used tire:) lucky me!!! Put the spare on the good rim and the used tire on the spare.Everything together mounted and balanced and out the door for $74.20. Now I think I'll stay away from these tire threads!!!!! JON

skyguy

Well, mine was only $280 more! But I did decide to keep the damaged tire (complete with nail) Haven't pulled the nail yet, but it did not puncture through the inside...

wdk450

This whole thread and the cost of the G614's make a strong argument for buying the road hazard insurance. This is the one new purchase insurance I believe pays for itself.
I had road hazard insurance on all 4 tires on my old Dodge bubbletop RV van. I had bought the tires from Montgomery Ward auto center. I had 1 tire get an unrepairable puncture. Ward's no longer stocked that tire size. Ward's refunded my purchase price for ALL 4 tires (about $300) to me, and I got to keep all the tires.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
So it turns out your didn't need a new tire or the waste of money insurance!
Those are supposed to be good tires so all you needed to do was pull out the nail.

skyguy

Dunno yet. Replaced the tire. Tire and nail sit in my garage, It's on my Round2it list. Maybe next weekend...