need a new RV battery

Bobby A

My old Interstate battery that came with my Bighorn finally bit the dust after 5 years of full timing. I'm pretty happy and I wouldn't have a problem buying another one, I figured I would throw it out there to see what others have purchased as a replacement, before I start shopping around.
Thanks,
Bobby A

Jim.Allison

The 64 dollar question is how are you using your battery? Has it been adequate for you? Do you have any plans for solar and or an inverter? Do you have plans that would add to battery load? What caused this one to fail? Are you always contending with the battery, or has it been serving you just fine?

If you are happy with the battery's performance then I would consider perhaps going to a Trojan SCS 150, SCS 200 or SCS 225. But if you have faith in the type and style of the one you have then go back with it. But if you are relying on it then you might want to take this opportunity to change things up a little.

My old Interstate battery that came with my Bighorn finally bit the dust after 5 years of full timing. I'm pretty happy and I wouldn't have a problem buying another one, I figured I would throw it out there to see what others have purchased as a replacement, before I start shopping around.
Thanks,
Bobby A

donr827

My old Interstate battery that came with my Bighorn finally bit the dust after 5 years of full timing. I'm pretty happy and I wouldn't have a problem buying another one, I figured I would throw it out there to see what others have purchased as a replacement, before I start shopping around.Thanks,Bobby A
It sounds like you camp mostly with full hookups. If this is true I would replace with the same thing and would also buy two batteries. Nice to have the extra juice. If you plan on doing some dry camping I would switch over to a true deep cycle battery................Don

Cjackg

Best bang for the buck I could find to replace the oem battery with an AGM, and it even fit the original box... Got it at Sams Club.
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31085&d=1407367428

Garypowell

Our dealer put in a NAPA battery....well in fact two of them. Could not be more pleased. They have been in service for almost two years and only had to add a little water twice.

We always are hooked up with no dry camping ever. Well when storage I will run them down before I get out the genny to charge them back up. I have two batteries on this coach and one on all the others and really can't tell the difference in operation. Maybe this is why not much water is lost....when I go back to one I might figure it out.

But out I also understand there are really few battery makers out there and in my two years of use my NAPA batteries might now be made by someone else with a different specification!

pegmikef

I dunno, five years, no problems sounds like a pretty good confidence builder to me. I'd probably go with the same kind. Mine came with a generic dime store variety and I immediately replaced it with two Exide Group 27s.

Bobby A

I dunno, five years, no problems sounds like a pretty good confidence builder to me. I'd probably go with the same kind. Mine came with a generic dime store variety and I immediately replaced it with two Exide Group 27s.

Yes, I'm thinking along those lines also, however can't find a place hear in Port Richey Fl. that has Interstate batteries.

Bobby A

Best bang for the buck I could find to replace the oem battery with an AGM, and it even fit the original box... Got it at Sams Club.
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31085&d=1407367428

Mine is a 24 series battery and your is a 31, was your original a 24 also ?? Just curious if the 31 will fit in a 24 battery box ?? Can you replace a 24 with a 31 without fear of problems ?? Thanks,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We went with a Group 29 battery, up from Group 24. Had to get a bigger box, too -- just needed a mod to hook the battery vent to it.

Note, we can only fit one battery in our space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cjackg

Mine is a 24 series battery and your is a 31, was your original a 24 also ?? Just curious if the 31 will fit in a 24 battery box ?? Can you replace a 24 with a 31 without fear of problems ?? Thanks,
My Cyclone came with a no-label Group 27 and I am not sure if the box was installed by the dealer or by HL, but the Group 31 AGM battery fit it like a glove. Sizes on all these are all over the map, so the only way to be sure what will fit is to get out the tape measure and check both before buying.
I wanted the biggest battery I could fit in, and an AGM and this one worked out great.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bobby,
IMHO, Costco or Sam's has the best bang for the buck for group 27 (115Ah) RV type batteries. These are good enough for most average RVer's.

I switched my two original Interstate 24's for two Costco 27's, after they died.
I can buy 2 of these every 4-5 years for the price of 1 Trojan, which lasts maybe a few years longer. If we were boondocking for months at a time the Trojan class battery might be worth it.

We boondock part time and these have performed well with my 200 watt solar setup.

I may end up adding two more of these 27's and two more 100 watt solar panels at some point. Trace

Last edited:

Bobby A

Well according to my tape measure my battery box would accept the 31 AGM, my 24 series battery has tons of extra room. Whats the advantage of an AGM over the standard batteries ?? Thanks

Bohemian

Standard lead acid battery: Thick lead plates with thick gaps that contain sulfuric acid between the plates.

Gel lead acid battery: make the plates thinner, have more plates in parallel internally, increasing the current capacity and lower the current density at the plate surface. Add a gelling agent to the sulfuric acid to dampen plate vibration allowing the plates gap to be thinner. with H2 catalysts, battery may be partially sealed

AGM, absorbed glass mat lead acid battery. Make the plates and gaps even thinner. Place glass mats between plates to prevent plates touching and control gap distance. absorb the sulfuric acid into the glass mats. Greater surface area, lower current density at the plate surface, greater total current capacity. With h2 catalysts battery MAY be completely sealed and operated in any position (on side, upright, up side down) and in indoor rooms.

Well according to my tape measure my battery box would accept the 31 AGM, my 24 series battery has tons of extra room. Whats the advantage of an AGM over the standard batteries ?? Thanks

Bobby A

Standard lead acid battery: Thick lead plates with thick gaps that contain sulfuric acid between the plates.

Gel lead acid battery: make the plates thinner, have more plates in parallel internally, increasing the current capacity and lower the current density at the plate surface. Add a gelling agent to the sulfuric acid to dampen plate vibration allowing the plates gap to be thinner. with H2 catalysts, battery may be partially sealed

AGM, absorbed glass mat lead acid battery. Make the plates and gaps even thinner. Place glass mats between plates to prevent plates touching and control gap distance. absorb the sulfuric acid into the glass mats. Greater surface area, lower current density at the plate surface, greater total current capacity. With h2 catalysts battery MAY be completely sealed and operated in any position (on side, upright, up side down) and in indoor rooms.

Wow, that's a lot if information for my little brain !! LOL I'm assuming the AGM is a better/newer technology ?? That won't harm the 12 volt system on the RV that is use to the standard battery will it ?? Thanks very much.

Bohemian

Wow, that's a lot if information for my little brain !! LOL I'm assuming the AGM is a better/newer technology ?? That won't harm the 12 volt system on the RV that is use to the standard battery will it ?? Thanks very much.

AGM batteries are used in critical applications. Durability Damage resistant. No H2 out-gassing No leaking

Generally. Fighter jets. Police vehicles. Harsh environment use. Limited access use. Unvented closets Rooms with people.

They can also be shipped by most carriers.

Miller0758

AGM are great batteries, no doubt but expensive. If your battery served you well for 5 years I would go back to it. For the cost you can't ask for more. BTW, I just picked up 2 new batteries for my boat from Costco and they are now stocking Interstate ... I was happy to see that. $82 for Group 27; $15 core charge

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In 2009 we ended up needing a new battery on a trip. The RV dealer sold us newbies a Deka AGM for $120!! But it was a great battery. Didn't thimk to swap out when we bought new coach in 2010. Probably should have! In 2012 we replaced the 24 with 29. Still lead acid, but was reasonable, I think $80 at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

If there is no amp/hour rating on the battery, it is not suitable as a house battery. PERIOD. You need at least 100 amp hour of duty @ the 20 hour rate, if not more. Remember only 80% is usable in an industrial deep cycle battery even then industrial deep cycle batteries should only be discharged to 50% if you are using them alot. For most RV's 80% is ok for the 20 or 30 time a year you go through that kind ofcycle. My suggestion is to seek out an industrial battery supply store and get your batteries there. Trojan, Continental are two names that come to mind but there are others. Treated properly there is no reason not to get 8 years out of one.

Bobby A

AGM are great batteries, no doubt but expensive. If your battery served you well for 5 years I would go back to it. For the cost you can't ask for more. BTW, I just picked up 2 new batteries for my boat from Costco and they are now stocking Interstate ... I was happy to see that. $82 for Group 27; $15 core charge

Costco ?? I will call them tomorrow, thanks for that info. BTW, does the group sizes make a difference, I know a 31 is physically a bigger battery than a 24 but does that mean a bigger battery has more power ?? So if my battery box will accept a bigger battery than a group 24 should I go with the bigger battery ?? Sorry for so many questions, I didn't realize getting a replacement battery required this much conversation. I guess I just wanna get the right battery. Thanks everyone for posting on this subject.

Last edited: