need a new RV battery

Bobby A

O.k. you guys, I think you have me going to Sams club tomorrow to get the Duracell AGM, its gonna be very close fit in my battery compartment, my little 24 Interstate has a lot of room left in the tray. I may just take the battery compartment out and take it with me to Sams. You guys have been great with this Thread, I can't believe we have had 40 postings on this subject, hopefully it will help someone out in the future. However, I do have one more question, I do little to no dry camping, always in RV parks with full hookup, my question, is this overkill for me ?? This Heartland family/forum is #1

pegmikef

IMHO you can't have too much amperage as you can never predict when you are going to have a power outage and/or generator failure. The reserve power is nice to have since so much of our RVs rely on 12 volt power (e.g., slides,landing gear, level up if present, lights most appliances, alarms, etc.).

Bobby A

Another question per my post 41, we have been full timing in our rig for 5 years and this new battery from Sams we are discussing will last another 5 to 8 years, it will most likely out last our time in this rig, again I ask, is it overkill ??? If I trade this rig in on another one the dealer won't give a cr*p that I put a AGM high end battery in, and won't give me nothing for it. Just sayin

Last edited:

Cjackg

Bobby, we have beat this one to death... time to make a decision that only you can make...lol

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bobby,
Yes, it is overkill. Overkill is good.

Overkill is good, and you can always put in your next coach deal that your AGM battery stays with you, not the rig.

Imagine this scenario-- you're about to head out and for home from an RV park in Timbuktoo, when you discover a broken shackle. The park is fully booked, so you can't stay there another night. The nearest dealer is 50 miles away, and the mobile tech can't see you until the morning. The RV park has agreed you can park in their parking lot up front, but of course, no hookups.

It's good to have plenty of battery!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby A

Bobby, we have beat this one to death... time to make a decision that only you can make...lol

Yes, your right, but again, we may help someone else out down the road, I will jump on board with you and head to Sams in the morning, did you have to get a new battery box ?? Just one last question, is the standard charging system in my Bighorn capable of charging such a big battery ?? You can't do no harm to the system by having such a bigger battery than the coach came with can you ?? Thanks

Jim.Allison

Bobby, look in your papers for your bighorn, you very likely (99%) have a progressive 3 stage charger. I guarantee that charger will handle anything you are thinking about PLUS. It is a sophisticated charger and that is why your interstate lasted 5 years. It will charge my 300 amp hour FLA, it will certainly do the batteries that you are leaning toward.

Yes, your right, but again, we may help someone else out down the road, I will jump on board with you and head to Sams in the morning, did you have to get a new battery box ?? Just one last question, is the standard charging system in my Bighorn capable of charging such a big battery ?? You can't do no harm to the system by having such a bigger battery than the coach came with can you ?? Thanks

Jim.Allison

Ditto, the gear is a DOG GONE GOOD reason to have a good battery.
IMHO you can't have too much amperage as you can never predict when you are going to have a power outage and/or generator failure. The reserve power is nice to have since so much of our RVs rely on 12 volt power (e.g., slides,landing gear, level up if present, lights most appliances, alarms, etc.).

Bobby A

O.K. gang, I just got back from Sams Club with my new Duracell AGM, I took my battery box with me to make sure it fit, which it did. However, because of all the new hydraulic for the level up system the top of the box does not wanna fit in there. Do I have to install the top of the box ?? It seems this thread is never gonna end !! LOL !!

Bohemian

O.K. gang, I just got back from Sams Club with my new Duracell AGM, I took my battery box with me to make sure it fit, which it did. However, because of all the new hydraulic for the level up system the top of the box does not wanna fit in there. Do I have to install the top of the box ?? It seems this thread is never gonna end !! LOL !!

Most AGM batteries do not need to be vented. What does Duracell say about their battery? Are the contacts protected?

Jim.Allison

Do you have another shelf to put the battery on? if so can you relocate it there and still use your lid? If not, then go without it but make sure it is secure and the terminals are protected against direct short.

Like Bohemian said, your new AGM does not gas off like FLA batteries. But they can gas off. I assume that your battery box is one that has a ventilation hose connected to the lid and you're wondering if you have to put that back. There is no law that I can find regulating this in an 5th wheel.

But to this end always assume that hydrogen is present any time you are working on your batteries and in any cabinet the batteries are located. Wrap you tools (wrenches) in electric tape and wear leather gloves. A tool can go white hot if shorted between the terminals and burn the heck out of you, that is why you need the leather gloves. A spark can ignite hydrogen.

When I installed my FLAs I eliminated my ventilated plastic battery boxes and I'm comfortable with it. However I'm always trying to think of a way to vent my batt cabinet more efficiently.

BTW: The coast Guard has a spec for plastic battery boxes used in boats. They say if you use a battery box and it has a lid that can trap Hydrogen in the lid then the box has to be vented to the outside. But as a matter of practicality, you only have one AGM that is not likely to gas and if it did the amount is not enough to cause an explosion in my opinion.

Bobby A

Most AGM batteries do not need to be vented. What does Duracell say about their battery? Are the contacts protected?

Not sure what Duracell says about their battery, the contacts are like any other battery does not have any protection, like a rubber boot or something over the terminals, I suppose I could put a bungy cord or a strap on the battery so it doesn't bounce during travel, however this battery is extremely heavy it would take a lot to move it and it fits very tightly in the box.

Bobby A

Do you have another shelf to put the battery on? if so can you relocate it there and still use your lid? If not, then go without it but make sure it is secure and the terminals are protected against direct short.

Like Bohemian said, your new AGM does not gas off like FLA batteries. I assume that your battery box is one that has a ventilation hose connected to the lid and you're wondering if you have to put that back. That answer is complex, there is an obscure law that specifies that RV house batteries must be in a ventilated box. But your battery cabinet is infact a ventilated box, and you have a battery that does not gas off like an FLA. To me there is no practical reason to have a plastic ventilated box within a built in ventilated box.

But to this end always assume that hydrogen is present any time you are working on your batteries and in any cabinet the batteries are located. Wrap you tools in electric tape and wear leather gloves. A tool can go white hot if shorted between the terminals and burn the heck out of you, that is why you need the leather gloves. A spark can ignite hydrogen.

My

Jim, I don't see any way to put the battery in another area without a lot of work and getting longer battery cables, as you say, the whole battery area is a vented area, plenty of fresh air. Yes my original battery box top has a hose for ventilation. I hope I didn't open up another can of worms by doing this.

Jim.Allison

Bobby I edited that post that you quoted, go back and read it, I answer your can of worms question there.
Jim, I don't see any way to put the battery in another area without a lot of work and getting longer battery cables, as you say, the whole battery area is a vented area, plenty of fresh air. Yes my original battery box top has a hose for ventilation. I hope I didn't open up another can of worms by doing this.

Bobby A

Bobby I edited that post that you quoted, go back and read it, I answer your can of worms question there.

O.k. Jim I did read it, I'm gonna go without the top, I will put some kind of strap on it to make sure it does not bounce during travel, I will post back if more questions arise. Thanks again for all your/ and everyones help with this issue. Safe travels and God Bless,

Bohemian

Not sure what Duracell says about their battery, the contacts are like any other battery does not have any protection, like a rubber boot or something over the terminals, I suppose I could put a bungy cord or a strap on the battery so it doesn't bounce during travel, however this battery is extremely heavy it would take a lot to move it and it fits very tightly in the box.

Batteries need to be strapped down. They will bounce. and move.

Bobby A

Thanks guys, I will put some sort of strap on it, also is there some sort of rubber piece to cover the terminal as you guys suggest, what should I use ??