Need a satellite dish antenna

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have heard that some of the external drives must be formatted by the DVR for them to work. I read where one system, it may have ben Directv, that you need to us a specific brand of HD also.. Not for sure about that now...

FWIW
BC

wdk450

So maybe if I want to record something at the rig, all I need is the software from DISH. The external hard drive is always with my laptop, which is always with me at the rig.

And then maybe not. After checking DISH's info on using an external hard drive, the requirement is that it has it's own power supply in order to use it with the 211k receiver. Mine is powered by the USB connector from the laptop. Poop :(

John:
There are a number of cheap USB power cubes on E-Bay. Maybe with a USB hub and some cables you could use your USB hard drive.

hoefler

I don't have satellite yet but have been looking into it. What I have been told is that using a portable dish (Carry Out, Tailgater or ViewQ) you can not have a DVR receiver only the 211k. Only a roof mounted dish allows you to use a receiver capable of DVR. Also have been told that Direct is not HD, only Dish is using the portable systems. Additionally only the Wineguard Carry out is set up for two televisions, the other portables only allow one tv. Not sure if all this is correct.

I use my dual tuner DVR with both antennas, roof mount and Carry Out.

caissiel

I have been using a portable usb drive with 2 usb connector cable. One usb connects to the satelite unit and the other one a power adapter connected to 120 volts. It has to be the power usb which is the smaller wire connected too AC. I used a cell phone usb to AC adapter.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

dave10a

I have heard that some of the external drives must be formatted by the DVR for them to work. I read where one system, it may have ben Directv, that you need to us a specific brand of HD also.. Not for sure about that now...

FWIW
BC

I believe any portable disk drive (usb or firewire) will work if the PC/laptop has USB 2.0 or better or firewire. The main point is that it has to be formatted with the proprietary software supplied by Dish (the software is in the 211 after enabled by Dish) because that prevents one from using the drive on a PC so the movies can not be pirated and infringed on royalties.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I believe any portable disk drive (usb or firewire) will work if the PC/laptop has USB 2.0 or better or firewire. The main point is that it has to be formatted with the proprietary software supplied by Dish (the software is in the 211 after enabled by Dish) because that prevents one from using the drive on a PC so the movies can not be pirated and infringed on royalties.

That presents a good reason not to consider using my external hard drive for this, then.

dave10a

Also, I was wrong when I said Dish provided enabled this feature free. It is a $40 one time charge to enable the software in a 211 receiver to work with an external hard drive. It is still a cost effective way to get DVR.

http://www.mydish.com/support/setup-211 (you need an account to login)