Need advice for planning a trip

LookN4Ward

Driving in Texas is not like driving in many of the other states. If you have never been to Texas you will be surprised just how big it is.

Got to agree with Jim on how big Texas is. I had to return from McAllen for the holidays. We left before 8 am and didn't reach Ardmore OK, just north of Texas until after 7 pm. I was driving 70 mph and our stops were short.

Personally I think that attempting Ct to Florida and on to the Texas Tropics in 21 days is too much.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you take the trip to Padre, log in to the forum and keep us abreast of your travel..It would be intresting to see how you make it on your trip.

That trip would take me about 2 to 3 months. We travel on M, W & F's and only go a maximum of 250 miles in one day. If we are enjoying the place we are staying we could stay a couple of days more or even a week.

The trials of being retired and fulltime RVers... LOL..

Travel safe..

BC

talley

sjarrell... There is a lot to see and visit along your proposed route and as you probably know your task is to find the quality sights and highlights of the areas you visit. Not knowing what your interest is... I will give you some suggestions that I think will make the most of your time.

It appears that you have dropped Brownsville from your trip. I think that is a good move given the time frame you will have. Save that for the next trip... don't know what to advise you to see there except South Padre Island and border crossing into Mexico, if you must.

Do try to include Kema, Texas and its boardwalk (water view but no beach at this location). Good restaurents (Aquarium Restaurent) and clean amusement park atmosphere. Galveston has the attractions Jim Gratz mentioned, plus a waterpark (Schlitterbaun ..sp). I have not been to this relatively new waterpark... however its sister location in New Braunsfeld, Texas (I-35 between San Antonio and Austin) is quite popular and located in a German settled communityl

If you are interested in history the San Jacinto Battleground and USS Texas (WWII battleship) are located near Kema and could be included in a two day visit. The battleground is the location where Sam Houston and the Texan Army defeated the Mexican Army and Santa Anna to establish the Republic of Texas.

Take US Hwy 59 to Victoria and cut across to Hwy 35 and travel to Rockport/Fulton. From there travel to Port Aransas and ride the free ferry to Port Aransas which is located on Mustang Island. Look for Dolphins playing along and in front of the ferry while crossing the waterway. The University of Texas Marine Science Institute has a museum here and would be worth the time to visit. Since you are not going to South Padre Island, this is the beach to visit. You can drive the island road from Port Aransas to Corpus Christi and the Padre Island National Seashore. You and tow the road... but avoid going onto the beach with your rig. I have seen some on the beach near the access road and they seem ok, but have also seen some stuck along with the wrecker/tow truck.

Include my original hometown of Corpus Christi (Sparkling City by the Sea). Drive to the bayfront and park on the "T"-Head or one of the "L"-Heads and walk the seawall. At the northend of of the bayfront is an interesting museum with relics from early Spanish explorers to this area. The WWII aircraft carrier USS Lexington is now a museum on North Beach and also worth a visit. I believe a replica of one of Christopher Columbus' ships is still moorned near-by (built in Spain and sailed to America some 20+years ago).

Do try to have time for San Antonio,,,Alamo, Riverwalk and I-Max presentation about the Battle of the Alamo, all located downtown and in walking distance of each other. Make this a whole day to include evening meal along the Riverwalk. Sea World is located on northwest side of San Antonio (might have to check if still open when you make trip). If still interested in waterpark at New Braunsful... travel east on I-35 .

These would be some of my highlights. Much more if you have time. Bracketville and the movie set of John Wayne's movie "The Alamo", Big Bend, Garner State Park (camping rite of passage for many Texans growing up).

Sorry for length... but if you come to Texas we want you to have a good time while we show off.:D:D

Jerry

Last edited:

jimtoo

sjarrell... There is a lot to see and visit along your proposed route and as you probably know your task is to find the quality sights and highlights of the areas you visit. Not knowing what your interest is... I will give you some suggestions that I think will make the most of your time.

It appears that you have dropped Brownsville from your trip. I think that is a good move given the time frame you will have. Save that for the next trip... don't know what to advise you to see there except South Padre Island and border crossing into Mexico, if you must.

Do try to include Kema, Texas and its boardwalk (water view but no beach at this location). Good restaurents (Aquarium Restaurent) and clean amusement park atmosphere. Galveston has the attractions Jim Gratz mentioned, plus a waterpark (Schlitterbaun ..sp). I have not been to this relatively new waterpark... however its sister location in New Braunsfeld, Texas (I-35 between San Antonio and Austin) is quite popular and located in a German settled communityl

If you are interested in history the San Jacinto Battleground and USS Texas (WWII battleship) are located near Kema and could be included in a two day visit. The battleground is the location where Sam Houston and the Texan Army defeated the Mexican Army and Santa Anna to establish the Republic of Texas.

Take US Hwy 59 to Victoria and cut across to Hwy 35 and travel to Rockport/Fulton. From there travel to Port Aransas and ride the free ferry to Port Aransas which is located on Mustang Island. Look for Dolphins playing along and in front of the ferry while crossing the waterway. The University of Texas Marine Science Institute has a museum here and would be worth the time to visit. Since you are not going to South Padre Island, this is the beach to visit. You can drive the island road from Port Aransas to Corpus Christi and the Padre Island National Seashore. You and tow the road... but avoid going onto the beach with your rig. I have seen some on the beach near the access road and they seem ok, but have also seen some stuck along with the wrecker/tow truck.

Include my original hometown of Corpus Christi (Sparkling City by the Sea). Drive to the bayfront and park on the "T"-Head or one of the "L"-Heads and walk the seawall. At the northend of of the bayfront is an interesting museum with relics from early Spanish explorers to this area. The WWII aircraft carrier USS Lexington is now a museum on North Beach and also worth a visit. I believe a replica of one of Christopher Columbus' ships is still moorned near-by (built in Spain and sailed to America some 20+years ago).

Do try to have time for San Antonio,,,Alamo, Riverwalk and I-Max presentation about the Battle of the Alamo, all located downtown and in walking distance of each other. Make this a whole day to include evening meal along the Riverwalk. Sea World is located on northwest side of San Antonio (might have to check if still open when you make trip). If still interested in waterpark at New Braunsful... travel east on I-35 .

These would be some of my highlights. Much more if you have time. Bracketville and the movie set of John Wayne's movie "The Alamo", Big Bend, Garner State Park (camping rite of passage for many Texans growing up).

Sorry for length... but if you come to Texas we want you to have a good time while we show off.:D:D

Jerry

Jerry took the words right out of mouth....completely...Jerry is correct. Very good advice and I will stand behind him. (Especially if you start throwing things..) We are old school mates of over 50 years ago...although he does not admit it's been that long.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW in Bracketville, Tx (sw of San Antonio) is Camp Clark which used to be a military post and is now owned by the Homeowners Association. There is a beautiful RV park there. It has a very interesting history and is about 5 miles from Alamo Village movie set. Just about 80 miles west is Langtry Tx where you will find the "Law West of the Pecos" museum, Judge Roy Bean's place. Out in the middle of nowhere but very interesting. Oh yeah and in Corpus Christi is the Texas State Aquarium which is a wonderful place to visit. And not too far south is the King Ranch (yes where they get the leather for the Ford King Ranch truck). You can tour the King Ranch and it is a great tour. Oh, and don't get confused about Padre Island. There is Padre Island at Corpus Christi and then there is South Padre Island (the one you hear about) which is near Brownsville. They are some distance apart but all part of the same park system. So many things to do and so little time. Make a list, and you can see why so many RVer come to Texas in the winter. Much to do, see, and the weather is much better here in the winter. Remember, Texas is like a whole 'nuther country. (and it used to be).

talley

Jim... I calculated the years using "CRS math" just the other day and it has not been anywhere near 50 years that we cruised Shoreline Drive and went to ritter dances on the "T"-head. Although I glanced at your posted photograph and realized it might have been 50+ years for you !!!:D:D