Need advice.... how do we handle??? when we go full time

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
One question??? Why have most of you decided to use SD?
There are a variety of reasons, some small, some large. FL and TX have no income taxes, but the insurance difference between these two and SD isn't close. TX and FL have 183 days restriction to domicile there to get residency: SD - 1 night. We can work around hitting there every 5 years for Driver's License. TX needs to have sticker for license plates annually. Been SD residents for almost 3 years. Haven't been sorry yet.

SmokeyBare

One small issue we had with Selecting South Dakota for a Home State when we were full timing...
Re-newing our driver licenses.
They are re-newed based on the drivers birth-date. Many States are like this...

It made a difference for us since Karen's birth-date was in April... not exactly the best time to be in SD. The State does allow up to but not more than 30 days past your birth-date before the driver would be required to take another test to get a driver license. South Dakota also allows the license to be re-newed 180 days prior to the drivers birth-date.

Nothing you can do about it unless the State changes their rules. We did the math... and decided to fly up, stay over night, so we could re-new both ours. It was less than 30 days past Karen's and I was able to re-new well inside the 180 day limit. The cost of the flight was less than driving our truck & trailer up from Texas, where we were at that winter.

Speedy

Another thing to keep in mind for a SD residency is which county your address (mail forwarder is) because some of SD counties charge a wheelage tax. When we were looking at what mail forwarders the ones located in or around Sioux Falls charged the tax but Americas Mailbox is in Pennington county so no tax. The difference is $16 dollars a vehicle.

jayandhisgals

Another thing to keep in mind for a SD residency is which county your address (mail forwarder is) because some of SD counties charge a wheelage tax. When we were looking at what mail forwarders the ones located in or around Sioux Falls charged the tax but Americas Mailbox is in Pennington county so no tax. The difference is $16 dollars a vehicle.

Great tip. Thanks!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is an idea. How about a national driver's license and license plate (can have a state of residence on it) so it could be renewed anywhere in the U.S. Sure would make it a lot easier on out mobile nation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here is an idea. How about a national driver's license and license plate (can have a state of residence on it) so it could be renewed anywhere in the U.S. Sure would make it a lot easier on out mobile nation.

Somehow creating another Federal bureaucrazy with an army of six-figure directors does not sound like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
WE have been full time for three years and have used our daughters address for mail. We use pay pal when she forwards mail as it will print her the postage on her printer and then she drops it in the mail. It has given use a hard address which seems to make the financing easier for some purchases. good luck out there.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
WE have been full time for three years and have used our daughters address for mail. We use pay pal when she forwards mail as it will print her the postage on her printer and then she drops it in the mail. It has given use a hard address which seems to make the financing easier for some purchases. good luck out there.

We did something similar but just left our Son with a supply of envelopes, address labels and money for postage. We would call and screen the mail so junk mail got trashed. His address was our "residence" for almost 7 years.

Gas20

For those that full time what do you do about medications? I know you can get your meds by mail or FX or UPS, but like me I have diabetes and my doctor wants to see me every 3 months?

danemayer

For those that full time what do you do about medications? I know you can get your meds by mail or FX or UPS, but like me I have diabetes and my doctor wants to see me every 3 months?
If he wants to "see" you every 3 months to run an A1C blood test, perhaps he'd be ok with you getting tbem done at CVS in-store clinics with him getting the results, and maybe seeing you less frequently.

Gas20

Thanks Dan didn't think about that. I got to see him next week and will discuss with him.

aatauses

Welcome to the organization--you will find this is a great place to get help and share information. We are full timers and use FL for our mail service, registering vehicles (can do it on the internet) and our license which can also be done on line. We also vote in FL with absentee ballets. Several states are noted for their RV friendliness, FL, MT, TX, SD. I do not know if one is better than the other--get on line and check them out.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

ParkIt

Somehow creating another Federal bureaucrazy with an army of six-figure directors does not sound like a good idea.
It already exists...the DOT.
Trust me, you don't want to ask them to do anything more than what they do now. It would be like herding cats.

Arvin

We are planning to go fulltime RVing in the next 3 to 9 months and we currently live in Wisconsin and are wondering if anybody knows how to maintain Wisconsin residency and how to have mail service. This is our first time on the forum hope we are doing it right.

scottyb

TX needs to have sticker for license plates annually.

I just renewed my registration for my Cyclone over the internet. Got the sticker in the mail within 10 days. Other than things like that, I have very little use for a mailbox any more. About 95% of it goes straight to the trash.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have diabetes also. I get my medication from Target Pharmacy. They are much faster than Walgreens or CVS and they have Targets all over the place too. I see my doctor once every 6 months. Depending on your insurance (I am Medicare) you can get blood work done at most any clinic that will accept your insurance and have the results sent to your Primary Care Physician. My doctor understands we travel alot and will do some things over the phone or by fax. Target Pharmacy is good in faxing Rx renewals refills to the doctor and he will extend a refill if he knows I will be coming in in the next month or two. I get a Cancer recheck every 9 month and that has extensive blood work that my doctor gets also. That also helps.

On another note.. there are a number of ways to establish residency in a state. State rules dictate how that is done. Many folks use Escapees for their mail forwarding and address (gives you a Texas address). You can find out more at www.escapees.com

Speedy

Are you going to maintain a home or apartment in WI? If not you'll need to find a mail forwarding service based in WI to setup a legal domicile.

I do need to ask why would you want to keep WI residency?

Arvin

We were thinking about keeping Wisconsin residency for medical reasons and they don't tax military retirement. We also have family in the area. Sorry for slow response we have been busy with work and preparing our house to be put on the market.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Do you have a relative in WI? You only need an address for your mail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2