Need advice on power tongue jack

rangerbait

Howdy! I'll be taking delivery of a new 2014 Trail Runner 31 QBBH here within the next few weeks, and my first mod will be to swap out the manual tongue jack with a power model. Since we seldom stay in one spot more than 1 or 2 days, manually cranking the thing to set/release the load leveling contraption gets a little old. Any recommendations on a reliable and fast model? My tongue weight is 885lbs.

Also, for the stabilizing jacks I was planning to buy a dedicated cordless drill to make it easier...what setups are you guys using? Do you need a hammer drill? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5517d1ed89bd11d84c238bdf.jpg
    5517d1ed89bd11d84c238bdf.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 13

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Most RV stores have them and you can look on-line. Make sure you get one rated for your tongue weight or a little more. The last one I installed, I installed a circuit breaker in the inline fuse holder instead of a fuse. Reason being, if the battery gets low, the jack will pull more amps and blow a fuse. JMHO

pegmikef

I used the Barker VIP 3500 on my Edge and North Trail. Its capacity was a little more than I actually needed, but I liked having the option of moving to a heavier trailer if needed. Also, I figured a lighter than max capacity load was easier on the motor. Used it for three years with no problems and it never blew the fuse. I bought it on line for a couple of hundred bucks. Often there are used ones out there too.

GWRam

Howdy! I'll be taking delivery of a new 2014 Trail Runner 31 QBBH here within the next few weeks, and my first mod will be to swap out the manual tongue jack with a power model. Since we seldom stay in one spot more than 1 or 2 days, manually cranking the thing to set/release the load leveling contraption gets a little old. Any recommendations on a reliable and fast model? My tongue weight is 885lbs.

Also, for the stabilizing jacks I was planning to buy a dedicated cordless drill to make it easier...what setups are you guys using? Do you need a hammer drill? Thanks in advance!

We put the Bulldog #500185 4000lbs jack on our last TT. Can't say it was fast but it never let us down and was very easy to install. There is also a 3500lbs model.
We used the electric drill with the socket for the stabilizer jacks also. I used just a regular cordless drill. Be careful when getting near the end of travel up or down. Have a firm grip on the drill or the torque can rip it right out of your hand. I was going to let my kids do the electric drill for the stabilizer jacks until I had it happen to me.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been thinking about getting a power jack . . .

But I consider all the cranking up and down physical therapy for my bad arm! :eek: ;) :p